Tweet experts:

I need help with th canopy of the MAPS Tweet. We cannot get it open. We removed the canoply and windscreen plexi. The Canopy rails seem suck at the rear latches, and the yellow canopy realease is stuck in the middle position, we cannot move it. Can anyone help.

Tail # 54-2732

Thank you

Edited by oscardeuce

The Mighty Tweet :cheers: had an electric motor (amazingly enough) to raise and lower the canopy; any chance that might have frozen in place over the years? If so removing the actuators might have to be kept in mind eventually. As far as the immediate problem, since the canopy release handle is frozen, it sounds like the mechanical locks inside the fuselage and under the canopy rail, or the linkage to them, or both have rusted in place. I know the T-33 canopy handle could be a bear to move, when it was in constant use, I can imagine what it would be like on a jet that had sat for years.

Regards,

Murph

The Mighty Tweet :) had an electric motor (amazingly enough) to raise and lower the canopy; any chance that might have frozen in place over the years? If so removing the actuators might have to be kept in mind eventually. As far as the immediate problem, since the canopy release handle is frozen, it sounds like the mechanical locks inside the fuselage and under the canopy rail, or the linkage to them, or both have rusted in place. I know the T-33 canopy handle could be a bear to move, when it was in constant use, I can imagine what it would be like on a jet that had sat for years.

Regards,

Murph

We disconnected the actuator, and removed all the plexi. the locks, 4 that I can see seem to be frozen. Looks like Im drilling the rails rivets out to free them up.

Is there any way to get lubricant into the locks?

There's bound to be some kind of commercial lubricant you can apply that'll free the rust up - heck, CocaCola will dissolve rust so there's gotta be some option...

Is there a Tractor Supply store near you? They'd be my first destination for something like this.