Something new on the wing!

From what I could find, the Marines have been using them since about 2004 on Hornets.

Here's a photo of an AIM-9X being loaded on an F/A-18A+ of VMFA-115 in Nov. of 2004:

http://www.defenselink.mil/transformation/...N-6363M-010.jpg

I don't doubt they been around for a little while, just the first time I have seen one in person. The other F-18 the unit had there had the AIM-9L on the wing, this one was the only bird with the 9X.

Robert

Now I want a judge to say that my panel lines are slightly too dark!!! look at the panel lines on the spine! looks like a wash that wasn't thinned or wiped down......hmmmmm..

Bill

what you are seeing is the sealant they use on those panels. i replicated those on my last hornet build which just happened to be a 533 jet.

F-18D_VMFA-533_075.JPG

Now I want a judge to say that my panel lines are slightly too dark!!! look at the panel lines on the spine! looks like a wash that wasn't thinned or wiped down......hmmmmm..

Bill

Bill,

We were talking to the Marine pilot and he was telling us how he was getting harassed by an F-16 pilot about how dirty his plane was. The F-18 also had one balled and one treaded tire on the main gear, the noted that till they see it actually coming apart, it won't get changed ( he was kidding of course). It look pretty raggedy...but I liked it...it looked real, not like a show bird.

Regards,

Robert

what you are seeing is the sealant they use on those panels. i replicated those on my last hornet build which just happened to be a 533 jet.

That's very interesting information. I'd never heard that before. Thanks!

At the MacDill airshow Sunday I talked with one of the Pilots for the Hawks,

and he said they still did not have the new helmets but cant wait to get them...

Whoo Hoo!!!

Also he was not to certian the JSF would fit the mission...

Did you see the other F-18 at the show was a Rece?

Will post pix later.

William G

F-18D_VMFA-533_075.JPG

i kinda figured it had to be something like that, it was too perfect, but i bet at some contest, that would still get some comments. I like dirty jets, just gives a real used war machine look. btw, yours looked great. that really looked just like the sealant in the photo. anyway, thanks for the info, i may have to try to replicate that on my next academy d model, if i ever actually get around to doing it. Working on my first 1:1 scale baby right now, have to finish the details on that before i can work back in plastic. :cheers:

Bill

Next they'll say a gray hornet with the inboard leading edge flap painted brown and the outboard leading edge flap in primer green isn't realistic :cheers:

funny you should say that. i was at a Oklahoma city air show about 12 years ago or so, and saw an f-18 in grey, but the two outboard flaps were both in desert camo. I took a pic but lost it since then. I've always wanted to build that plane just so a judge would balk at it, then i'd whip out the pic.....but since i have no photo evidence.....it'll have to wait. Anyone ever see a similar plane?

funny you should say that. i was at a Oklahoma city air show about 12 years ago or so, and saw an f-18 in grey, but the two outboard flaps were both in desert camo. I took a pic but lost it since then. I've always wanted to build that plane just so a judge would balk at it, then i'd whip out the pic.....but since i have no photo evidence.....it'll have to wait. Anyone ever see a similar plane?

Yes. Yesterday, anywhere between fingertip and combat spread off our wing...

Yes. Yesterday, anywhere between fingertip and combat spread off our wing...

forgive my ignorance...but.......HUH? :doh:

do you mean that you saw one in flight, flying off of your wing? didcha get a photo?? :thumbsup:

Edited by niart17
forgive my ignorance...but.......HUH? :huh:

do you mean that you saw one in flight, flying off of your wing? didcha get a photo?? :(

Yes, our wingman's plane was like that.

No, I didn't get a photo. It's a pain in the *** to carry a camera, because they're not allowed in the building where we brief and debrief - when it's a special occasion (like a friend's last flight in the navy) I'll work around it, but when it's just a normal day I don't bother with the hassle.

Yes, our wingman's plane was like that.

No, I didn't get a photo. It's a pain in the *** to carry a camera, because they're not allowed in the building where we brief and debrief - when it's a special occasion (like a friend's last flight in the navy) I'll work around it, but when it's just a normal day I don't bother with the hassle.

that's cool. My bro-in-law just retired air force pilot, I've seen the red tape he had to go thru just to get a cam up. thanks all the same. if'in the plane happens to be close to you with your camera, and you can get a shot, that would be swell, otherwise, it's all good.

take care.

Bill