I would say unfortunately, not. You'd have a PITA time trying to get the engine exhaust in there. It may be possible, but the base is wider than the fairing...

-brian

I'd agree with that--definitely do not try it. Not sure how it would work with an A, which has slightly-different-shaped fairings, but I tried it with a B, and it then turned out to be a nightmare to get the engines in afterward... :o

Both look good so far. :(

Daniel

Let the coat of paint dry overnight and went out to check on it today...boy do I suck at filling and sanding :blink:. It's almost as if the filler is shrinking down into the gap as it dries and cracking on some of these seams.

Re-did the ones at the intake joints and I still don't think they're quite right (see red arrows) :coolio::

Superbug1copy.jpg

I did a hideous job on the nose gap. It looks good now except for the little pit where the arrow points to. Easy fix:

Superbug2-5_edited-1.jpg

I got the burner cans in and the engine fairings dry-fit on the Tomcat today:

Tomcat1-10.jpg

And found that I'm having the same filler problem here as I'm having on the Super Hornet:

Tomcat2copy.jpg

Tomcat3copy.jpg

For some odd reason, I usually don't see my screw-ups until I look closely at the pictures. Then I go out and look at the actual spot on the model and sure enough...there it is :D. Anyhoo...thanks for all the critiques, words of encouragement and, as always, thanks for looking :lol:!

James-

I recommend using Tamiya Putty for your seams. I used it on my builds and it always did the job very easily and got the gaps filled in pretty good.

Both builds are looking great.

Daniel

Some more progress on the Tomcat. The burner cans were a job and a half for some reason. I dry-fit them (see pic above) and they seemed to fit OK, but as soon as I went to permanently put them in, they decided not to cooperate :D. So, after I waste my time pre-painting them...well, you know :whistle:.

Tomcat2-9.jpg

Tomcat1-12.jpg

Tomcat3-7.jpg

I still have to clean them up and make them more presentable, but you get the idea :D.

More Tomcat and some Superbug pics to follow very soon. Thanks for looking!

Been pretty busy the past day or so, but I did get a few more things done. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have to re-do every place on the Super Hornet where I've used filler :rofl:.

Fixed this gap at the intake joint, but there's still another one I missed over by the ATFLIR mounting pylon:

Superbug4-5.jpg

Up by the cockpit and nose-gear well:

Superbug3-5.jpg

And rear fuselage:

Superbug2-6.jpg

Thanks for looking :huh:!

Got a test coat of paint on the bottom of the fuselage. Seams 99.9% invisible, (there is some tiny spots where you can see, but if you have a magnfying glass and want to look, be my guest). Even after I re-filled the seams and sanded, I still had some cracking issues. So I took some Zap-A-Gap CA glue and took a microbrush and lightly (and I mean lightly) brushed the CA glue right over the crack, let it dry, then sanded. Worked like a charm. I'm VERY happy :D :nanner:! Tomorrow I'll hopefully finish up with the sides and top...the key word being "hopefully".

Superbug1-9.jpg

Superbug2-7.jpg

Superbug3-6.jpg

Superbug4-6.jpg

Superbug5-5.jpg

In closing, I would just like to say that I can't begin to describe how much the comments and critiques and ARC in general has helped, and I can't thank everybody here enough :P! I can't WAIT to start slappin' the decals on this little bad-a**!

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

Well, I worked a bit on the Tomcat today:

Tomcat7-1.jpg

Tomcat8-1.jpg

Tomcat10.jpg

Since I had to deal with the filler cracking fiasco on the Super Hornet, I figured I should shake down the Tomcat for the same problems. And of course, they're there <_<:

Tomcat5copy.jpg

Tomcat6copy.jpg

Pics of the SuperBug to come later on. Thanks for looking :wave:!

• 3 weeks later...

Keep plugging away, it's looking good. Decal time is always a good spot to be in; it's quick progress.

You've been wrestling with the seam on the underside of the Tomcat's nose just forward of the nosegear well, but that seam will be mostly hidden by the undernose pod. Stick that pod on with some liquid glue and it'll be all the reinforcement that seam needs.