Want to see something big???....

....I like that tail design. Seems appropriate for it.

In the same vein as the NASA 747 Shuttle Carriers, the twin tail was to accomodate externally mounted outsized cargo, most notably the Russian "Buran" space shuttle. Except the 225's tail was part of the design and not an modified tail as on the NASA jets. A couple of the mount points are the two humps above the wing roots.

The Buran kinda fizzled after 1991 but the 225 soldiered on.

Edited by SimFixer
it is pretty cool, somehow the russian aircraft and armoured vehicles always remind me of the Captain Scarlet vehicles.

That show is a little before my time, so I did a google search. I see what you mean.

In the same vein as the NASA 747 Shuttle Carriers, the twin tail was to accomodate externally mounted outsized cargo, most notably the Russian "Buran" space shuttle. Except the 225's tail was part of the design and not an modified tail as on the NASA jets. A couple of the mount points are the two humps above the wing roots.

The Buran kinda fizzled after 1991 but the 225 soldiered on.

Interesting information. Thanks SimFixer.

One of the best photos I have seen of the An-225 is of it on the ground at Gostomel, Kiev, with FOUR T-80 battle tanks parked in front of it - there is another one inside.

When Antonov were making the record-breaking flights with the Mriya, they had to keep loading and unloading pallets loaded with iron girders - to get different weights for different records.

They decided that this was rather labour intensive - loading & unloading heavy pallets - so they switched to FIVE battle tanks - self-loading cargo !!!!!

One of the record takeoff weights was 640 tonnes - the carge being 250t :o

Here's a pic of the Dream I took at Gostomel in 2006......

Ukrain2006_09.jpg

Ken

Edited by Flankerman