'Nam era HH-53C Super Jolly Green Giant info needed

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of building Italeri's HH-53C Super Jolly as my next project. I had heard that the external fuel tanks in the kit are the larger post-Vietnam type, so I was wondering if you guys knew where I could source the smaller tanks from. Also if anyone has built this kit, any problem areas?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Alby

The best place to get the tanks you need is the Airfix kit. If you can't find one of those, I believe that tanks from an F-105 are correct.

I started in on this project myself, but haven't got past the fuselage assembly yet. The only annoyance that I encountered was the fact that the bearers for the tanks in my kit were warped at their tails - one went up, and the other down.

Thanks Tony, I'll try locating an Airfix kit. If all else fails, I could build my Super Jolly in this configuration;

http://www.mh-53pavelow.com/linpha/viewer....552&stage=2

Not exactly what I am aiming for, but it is still in SEA camo so it will suffice.

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers,

Alby

Hey Alby; the pictures on your link show a CH-53C bird from the 601 TASS stationed at Sembach AB, W. Germany. The camo is the same as a SEA rescue helicopter but the bird does not have the aux tanks installed for some reason. I have to agree the Airfix tanks are the correct ones for the helicopter you want to build. Hope to have a good time building the kit. The H-53 is still the greatest helicopter aver built.. But of course that is just my opinion........

Bob

Thanks for the info in regards to that particular CH-53C, Bob. I also noticed that that particular airframe doesn't have an IFR boom as well. As far as the fuel tanks go, another avenue for the fuel tanks would be the new Trumpeter F-105D. I want to pick one up anyways, so that will save me the trouble of tracking down an Airfix HH-53C (looks like that kit has been long OOP, nobody has it in stock! Guess I'll have to do the Ebay thing if I really need to get one).

Cheers,

Alby

Hi Alby,

Let me chech my spares box to see if the 53 tanks I have from the MPC(?) kit are the same as the Airfix ones. If you can get me a pic, it might help me see if I have the correct ones. Besides, I owe you for the Israeli 53 and AH-1 decals!

Cheers,

Glynn "WARDOG" Jacobs

Thank you for the offer! I'll do some digging around to see if I can find a pic of the tanks, otherwise maybe one our more knowledgeable guys may know if the MPC tanks are correct.

Hey Alby,

The MPC kit IS the Airfix kit! I had both. The Airfix kit I had was for the German HEER so it didn't have the tanks and pylons but, the MPC one does have them.

I can send you the tanks and pylons. Let me see if I can find the landing gear struts for the sponsons so they'll be a complete fixture to graft onto the side of the Italeri kit. You will have to supply the wheels though as I don't have enough spares for a full set (I'll check though!).

Please send me your addy and I'll get these parts out to you this week.

Cheers,

WARDOG

I agree with ItalyCrew - the Airfix/MPC kits are the best of the HH-53 family on offer....

I've had various opportunities to get 'up close and personal' with USAF HH-53Cs and MH-53Js, USMC CH-53Ds and Es, and USN RH-53Ds - and in my opinion the recessed panel lines on the Fujimi and Italeri/Revell kits just don't look right. The Airfix/MPC kits may be covered in 'rivets', but they're not over-done, and similarly the raised panel lines are restrained....

Some years ago, I fitted the MH-53 nose parts from the then new Italeri kit onto an Airfix kit, re-shaped the rotor blade tips and cuffs, added the various ECM 'lumps and bumps', and fully detailed the interior - the model won the Scale Aircraft Modelling Trophy at the IPMS-UK Nationals that year, so I must have done something right!

And yes, the Airfix/MPC kits have the correct early-style fuel tanks....

Hi everyone the kit you have is not that bad. The worst part is that the interior is really bare! I added some spruce ribs and blocked off the opening up top. Other than that I built it out of box with some putty to of course. Looks good done tho. Good luck

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, guys. I have the Italeri kit on hand already, but I do appreciate the pros and cons of the other kits. This build will be primarily OOB, the emphasis however will be on the painting and finishing aspects.

Cheers,

Alby

PS- A big thank you to Glenn Jacobs for setting me up with small fuel tanks.