1/32 resin F-4 ejection seat question??

I have the Avionix seats for the 1/32 Phantom in my F-4E pit set, but they are for Navy Phantoms and not USAF phantoms. Now i have been looking for replacements for the BB pit or the kit pit and i found Paragon Designs 1/32 F-4 Phantom Ejection Seats, now are they for USAF or USN??

Simon

Edited by Simon L

The old Paragon seats that I have seem to be USAF as there seems to be a small notch with a small O2 bottle behind the backrest, but it's less pronounced than on the other seats that I have (Reheat, True Details, and TAC Scale (CAM)). In fact, other than the BB seats, I think all of the aftermarket Mk.7s that I've seen are USAF style. Even the seats in the 1/32 Aires F-4J/S set are USAF.

I like the TAC/CAM seats. CAM's casting quality isn't quite as good as TAC's, but they still look good. It's been a while, but I seem to remember the Paragon seats being too long to fit between the forward cockpit's aft bulkhead and the control stick in the Tamiya kit. That's why I switched to the TAC seats. TD's seats look good, but are more narrow than the others.

Ben

I have the Avionix seats for the 1/32 Phantom in my F-4E pit set, but they are for Navy Phantoms and not USAF phantoms. Now i have been looking for replacements for the BB pit or the kit pit and i found Paragon Designs 1/32 F-4 Phantom Ejection Seats, now are they for USAF or USN??

Simon

Simon,

The major differance between USN and USAF MB Mk-7s that would show up in 1/32 scale is shown below.

USN on left, USAF on right.

USNvsUSAFMB_Mk7.jpg

HTH

Also note the small green ball on the front left (right side in the photo) of the USAF seat, which is the pull handle for the emergency O2.

Not visible in the shot of the USN seat in the front view is the circular cutout in the bottom cushion roughly under the left thigh that allows viewing of the O2 bottle pressure gauge, which is actually in the survival pack under the seat cushion.

Simon,

The major differance between USN and USAF MB Mk-7s that would show up in 1/32 scale is shown below.

USN on left, USAF on right.

USNvsUSAFMB_Mk7.jpg

HTH

Do you have any other pics or references for the USN seat?

I would like to see if I could do one that is correct for the Navy aircraft.

Also note the small green ball on the front left (right side in the photo) of the USAF seat, which is the pull handle for the emergency O2.

Not visible in the shot of the USN seat in the front view is the circular cutout in the bottom cushion roughly under the left thigh that allows viewing of the O2 bottle pressure gauge, which is actually in the survival pack under the seat cushion.

Hi Dave,

Yeah there's those and couple more, but I did say "the major difference that would show up in a 1/32 scale model." :wave:

Harold,

I got those and many more pictures of all kinds of ejection seats from this great site The Ejection Site. URL --> www.ejectionsite.com

Here are direct links to the MB-Mk 7 pictures:

USAF --> http://www.ejectionsite.com/f4seat.htm

USN --> http://www.ejectionsite.com/usnh7.htm

And oh BTW while you're there go to this link MB Mk IV Hint hint. I have a several Mirage's that are in need of your talents. :whistle:

Brocky

Hi Dave,

Yeah there's those and couple more, but I did say "the major difference that would show up in a 1/32 scale model." :wave:

Harold,

I got those and many more pictures of all kinds of ejection seats from this great site The Ejection Site. URL --> www.ejectionsite.com

Here are direct links to the MB-Mk 7 pictures:

USAF --> http://www.ejectionsite.com/f4seat.htm

USN --> http://www.ejectionsite.com/usnh7.htm

And oh BTW while you're there go to this link MB Mk IV Hint hint. I have a several Mirage's that are in need of your talents. :whistle:

Brocky

What scale for the MK IV? I have one that is already done in 1/32 and in 1/48. They are vey similar. The upper 'chute area is different is all.

I was working on one for the 1/32 Twogar for Paul Fishers kits. They are nearly the same in apearances.

The main difference on the Mirage seat is the droge, and headrest. I could modify one of my prototypes and have one for the Mirage too.

What scale for the MK IV? I have one that is already done in 1/32 and in 1/48. They are vey similar. The upper 'chute area is different is all.

I was working on one for the 1/32 Twogar for Paul Fishers kits. They are nearly the same in apearances.

The main difference on the Mirage seat is the droge, and headrest. I could modify one of my prototypes and have one for the Mirage too.

Harold,

Sorry about not clarifying the scale: 1/32. Sometimes I forget there are other scales. :thumbsup:

I need one for a French bird. If you got one that would be terrific. Is it listed on your site?

Brocky

Harold,

Sorry about not clarifying the scale: 1/32. Sometimes I forget there are other scales. :thumbsup:

I need one for a French bird. If you got one that would be terrific. Is it listed on your site?

Brocky

The one you need isn't on the site.

I have to modify the MK 5a. The bottom is about the same, the top is different.

I may tinker with one while I am working on another seat project.

I will post anything that I do.

• 1 month later...

Here is the build up process of the MB mk5 that I built for the "euro" F-100 in 1/32 scale.

I am going to use the mold from the second from the left to modify it for the MK4 seat. The upper parapac and drogue are different on the MK4's. Otherwise, the lower section is nearly the same.

It is on the list of things to do.......

seat2.jpg

seats.jpg

Cheers,

Harold

• 3 years later...
JASDF Phantom seat = USAF Phantom seat.

BTW, the Paragon seats will not fit a Tamiya tub or AM tub for Tamiya. The Tamiya tub is too shallow and the Paragon seats have detail on the bottom of the seat that makes them too tall for a Tamiya kit.

Bruce