Yes they did it happened from around 1980 till the F-4E was retired from active duty 1991 i think.

Spangdahlem originally use to operate its brand new F-4G in 1979 with just one sqn the 81TFS,while the other two sqn's flew AN/ARN-101 equipped F-4E's.

They then decided to split the F-4G's between all 3 sqn's forming Hunter/Killer F-4E/G's team's.This continued until late'87 when the first F-16 arrived.But the Weasel wings at GeorgeAFB and ClarkAB continued to use the F-4E's in the Killer role till their retirement.

Common F-4E loadouts would be MK82 500lb bombs,Mavericks,Shrikes...Clarks 3TFS even got into dropping GBU-15's at one point.

Both stikeeagle48 and i are building Spang Hunter/Killer teams for the GB

I think the hunter-killer teams had the Gs going after the radars while the Es went after the launchers.

From a caption in the Osprey "Wild Weasels" by Thornborough and Mormillo:

The removal of the 20mm "Gat" as part of the "sex change" enraged many pilots who had fought bitterly to get a six-shooter installed in the Phantom only a decade beforehand! 90TFS aircrews pioneered the F-4E/G "hunter-killer" concept, and once proven to be sound, Gat-gun Phantoms began to equip all Weasel squadrons, effectively doubling the size of the force! Miss Piggy was on the Clark field roster.

The pic the caption is from shows the nose-art on what I think is a SEA-camoed Phantom. The pics aren't dated. Some show them in Euro 1 (both E and G). One shows them in Hill Gray. The caption of that pic "dates" the aircraft (a G in this case) as having returned from the Philippines in Summer 1991 on George AFB. Hope this helps.

Edited by ChernayaAkula
Thank's Meoggo. I may be in with an F-4E then. Would the George and Clark F-4E's be in Euro 1 camo, or Hill Gray before retirement?

Thank's for the help.

Aaron

I think both George and Clark F-4's retired in the Hill Gray scheme,Spang F-4's retired in the same scheme,I think one got sent to AMARC in the Euro 1 scheme,Ive seen some pictures just can't remember where!

Edited by strikeeagle48