F-14 bomber wing sweep angle

I've been doing some reading on the F-14 as a bomber, and I am hoping someone here can shed some light on a question.

The wings of the F-14 automatically sweep from 20 degrees on takeoff to 68 degrees at speeds above Mach 1.2. At speeds between Mach 0.4 and Mach 0.75 they remain at only 22 degrees. There is a ground attack mode, where the wings lock at 55 degrees, to remove one variable in the bomb release calculation. But if the F-14 is dropping a bomb while flying straight and level at altitude, I wouldn't think that would be an issue, especially dropping a LGB or JDAM. The F-14 was limited to 470 mph when carrying four LGB due to buffeting on the seeker heads of the aft bombs. At that speed, the natural sweep would be 22 degrees. So which would the sweep be when carrying LGB, 22 degrees, or 55 degrees? I have wings to glue on a model...

Something tells me not to get into all the details of this one...but...I question the numbers you provided in terms of what you'd see actually in flight...470 knots with the wings forward at 22?

So my question is what is the attitude of the jet that you are modeling? Cruise, pop up bombing(hi or lo), dive bombing, level release? I can give you a better answer with that info. I personally think the bomb select wingsweep position looks great.

As for weaponeering, it's pretty complicated stuff and has more to do with the speed and altitude than the wingsweep. True, the JDAM gave pretty wide parameters for employing the weapon, but you'd still be looking for speed/altitude/attitude combinations.

Now, where's Aim9xray? I'll bet he's got the best answer :whistle:

-brian

There is a ground attack mode, where the wings lock at 55 degrees, to remove one variable in the bomb release calculation.

Well, there. You already knew the answer. :cheers:

Well, there. You already knew the answer. :(

If the F-14 was making a diving attack, speed would increase, and the wings would normally be increasing sweep all the way down if they were not locked. But if it was flying straight and level, the speed and wing sweep would not change. I see no reason to lock the wings at a sweep angle that would be less fuel efficient.

If the F-14 was making a diving attack, speed would increase, and the wings would normally be increasing sweep all the way down if they were not locked. But if it was flying straight and level, the speed and wing sweep would not change. I see no reason to lock the wings at a sweep angle that would be less fuel efficient.

Umm,...nevermind...

-brian

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
Something tells me not to get into all the details of this one...but...I question the numbers you provided in terms of what you'd see actually in flight...470 knots with the wings forward at 22?
The wing sweep figures are from The great book of modern warplanes, edited by Mike Spick, c 2003. The 470 mph speed limit figure is from US Navy F-14 Tomcat units of Operation Iraqi Freedom, by Tony Holmes, c 2005. It was mph and not knots.
So my question is what is the attitude of the jet that you are modeling? Cruise, pop up bombing(hi or lo), dive bombing, level release? I can give you a better answer with that info.
I want to do an F-14D during Operation Iraqi Freedom, with LGBs or JDAM. I expect the aircraft flew straight and level during their bombing runs with those weapons. Edited by Rocky

I don't doubt that the numbers may have been published, but what they do in real life is another matter.

As for tactics and employment parameters, that's not something I'm comfortable discussing on a forum, but you could expect that all manners of weapons deliveries could and probably did take place for that timeframe.

My suggestion is if you wanted to model a specific look for the jet, ie wings fully aft - low altitude and high speed, or wings at 55 at the roll in point, or wings fully back in a dive, etc...

-brian

As for tactics and employment parameters, that's not something I'm comfortable discussing on a forum, but you could expect that all manners of weapons deliveries could and probably did take place for that timeframe.

Were you a Navy pilot???? You sound like you know something more....

Were you a Navy pilot???? You sound like you know something more....
I know not which of you speak... I just have friends in the community and I like the jet!

-brian

Dude, that is sooooo not what you told that hot tall blonde Swedish swimsuit model chick at the O'Club! :P

What was her name? Heidi? Lisa?? Christy??? Tina????

What did you tell her your name was? Rick? Magnum?? Jeremy??? Tony????

Oh what's in a name? :coolio:

It's a joke folks. Unless 2 or more other people say they saw it happen, no one can say otherwise. :thumbsup:

John B

:D

That only applies on Wednesdays during happy hour from 1700-2000.

Umm, No - Its ALWAYS been "What happens at the O-Club stays at the O-Club". There's a reason there are no cameras allowed in there. Plus, the back bar at Oceana hasn't been used for that kind of entertainment for quite some time. More's the pity. Also, I don't want to get into any "Maverick" Garcia stories.

Umm, No - Its ALWAYS been "What happens at the O-Club stays at the O-Club". There's a reason there are no cameras allowed in there. Plus, the back bar at Oceana hasn't been used for that kind of entertainment for quite some time. More's the pity. Also, I don't want to get into any "Maverick" Garcia stories.

Dude...I was kidding. :deadhorse1:

Hey, what ever happened to, "What happens at the O Club, stays at the O Club"?!

I was just gonna say that :thumbsup:

Besides her name was Daniela and she was Danish. Come on John, gotta get the story right! And IIRC, I think I told her I was a hand model :lol: .

Now if we want to get into Mav stories... (speaking of which, Fuji - should I tell him you said hi?)

But back to the original topic - Rocky - it's your model set it up as you want. If you're loading up an OIF F-14D early strike, 2-3 GBU-31 JDAM would be a cool load. I'd put it in a dive with the wings either all back or in the bomb sweep and show the aft bomb separating. One of these days I'm going to do a VX-9 B with 4 GBU-31, Lantirn, Phoenix and a pair of Sidewinders with the wings swept back, doing the speed of heat! If only I could show the ground rushing by at 500ft and 550knots!

FWIW, early on in the bomb era, F-14B's were regularly doing low level ingress at 500ft/550+knots. B's had an advantage over the D because of the increased drag of the bigger chinpod. There was a great story about early VF-24 F-14B Fallon bomb det as told by Chunx Anderson on the net a bunch of years back...there were some 650knot ingresses where at the top of the pop, the jet was still carrying 500+knots and egressing at the speed of heat (650+)! Try that in a Hornet :deadhorse1:

-brian

I was just gonna say that :)

Besides her name was Daniela and she was Danish. Come on John, gotta get the story right! And IIRC, I think I told her I was a hand model :) .

-brian

Never ever let the facts get in the way of a good story, especially when the story leads to someone becoming a legend.

You, Brian, can be made into a legend!

Now if we want to get into Mav stories... (speaking of which, Fuji - should I tell him you said hi?)

Brian

Is he still flying? I met him at an airshow out here YEARS ago "Early ninties" . He was trying to recruit me into the navy when i finally had to tell him I had a pretty good gig being a firemen. He mentioned he had family here in Mesa IIRC, remeber that was close to 20 years ago now.

Jim

PS your Gypsie sheeet is Sierra hotel :)

ok little help here

as you can see most are wings swept..

Hope this helps

as for everyone else sorry for :bandhead2:

DARN! Just when I thought I'd derailed another Tomcat thread into the chasm of sillyness. Here are some images that clearly show drops made with the wings in the BOMB (55 degrees) position. (Taken from www.tomcatalley.com)

JDAM

f14dsdi.jpg

Cluster munitions

f14anawi.jpg

Brian - What are you afraid of? You could be at least as famous as Paris Hilton! :worship:

Edited by John Bibay
IIRC the wings automatically went to 55 degrees when air to ground was selected. All the photos above show the wings in 55 degrees.

HTH

Reddog :salute:

Hmmm... I seem to remember watching F-14s strafe targets with the wings at the 55 degree position. Could this be right? (I don't have access to my pictures right now.)