Woohoo! Just ordered a couple 1/144th F-22s!

Hey Gang,

Not sure if anyone is aware of it, but Gordan at Spruebrothers has Trumpeter's new 1/144th F-22A in stock. :nanner: I just placed an order for a couple of them and cannot wait to get them in the mail! The sprue shots look great! Has anyone else gotten one yet? It looks like it comes with decals for an F-22 from Langley, Nellis, and Edwards AFB.

:cheers:

John

Ordered a pair of them just now for myself! Nice! I was hoping for some Alaskan and Tyndall markings, but ah well. I see after I placed my order that it says "Sold Out"- I hope that didn't happen before I got my order through. The confirmation email would seem to indicate I'll have a couple of these in a few days. :thumbsup:

Also John- are you talking about the sprue shots at Sprue Bros? You can hardly see anything in those.

jb

Edited by Josh1971

Hey JB,

I saw the sprue shots on Trumpeter's site and some other Japanese site, of which I cannot find again...Supposedly, this is the same kit that was issued in some modeling magazine in Japan. It came with markings for, I believe, 10 USAF jets and a JASDF bird. However, I'm not sure which bases these decals represent. Who knows, maybe we could twist TwoBobs' arm? :thumbsup:

John

edit: found the site: Fumi F-22

Edited by John King

Nah, it looks like for the photos, they had it set on the plane, but we'll see, eh?

I like the idea of 10 different jets (I'd like to do one as WACO's plane). But it sounds like we're going to get 2 test Raptors and a commander's jet from Langley... :thumbsup:

Any idea what we're looking at for weaponry? I would guess a pile of AIM-9/AIM-120, but did they include the JDAMs?

I think Fightertown does 1/144 stuff. I've never seen TwoBobs doing any. Might also shoot an email to Mark Tutton of Starfighter to see what he thinks.

JB

Thanks for the link. Yep, looks like a Raptor (A line I've stolen from Waco!). I'm not real happy with the big gap it looks like there is in the underside of the wings, but it also didn't look like that guy did much to correct it. That might also be hidden by wing pylons/fuel tanks.

Now I can't wait to get these in the mail!

jb

Got a couple of these when they were offered with the Japanese Scale Modeler's Magazine. They are pretty accurate looking for little guys and comes with a full missile load with the option to build the weapons bays open or closed and in flight or gears down. I wouldn't mind getting this version though as the boxing looks very good, but looks like Sprue Brothers is already sold out. Why am I not surprised? :thumbsup:

I've just noticed that it looks like they've molded the canopy into the fuselage, i.e. no separate canopy?

Yes it is.

Got a couple of these when they were offered with the Japanese Scale Modeler's Magazine. They are pretty accurate looking for little guys and comes with a full missile load with the option to build the weapons bays open or closed and in flight or gears down. I wouldn't mind getting this version though as the boxing looks very good, but looks like Sprue Brothers is already sold out. Why am I not surprised? :(

Yes it is.

Bummer. Well, I've had worse features on model kits before.

Mine should be here in the next day or two.

jb

Got my pair of raptors today- very nice kits! The canopy attached to the fuselage is a bit weird, but the detail on the kit makes up for it. Weapons bay doors come molded so that those of you wishing to close them should find that easy- it's all one piece. It will have to be sliced in order to display them open, but that won't be too much trouble.

I'm not sure how I'm going to handle everything just yet, but it's making me consider hitting up OzMods for some 1/144 AIM-9Xs, among other things (Russian, 1/144 weapon things)

Anyhow, I've got more looking to do!

jb

I received mine yesterday as well. I agree with Josh on everything. The canopy molded onto the fuselage is a bit weird, but we'll see how it works out. There's a little flash that will need cleaned up, nothing too great. Now we just need some more decal options.

Yes- more decal options would be really nice, and something that's not a test plane or at a training range. I'm thinking some decals that had planes from Tyndall or Langley (And NOT Boss birds, either!)

I'm not too picky, am I?

We want 1/144 decals for Waco's jet! :)

JB

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get one from the LHS late last week. Man, this is one SWEET looking kit and seeing the buildup link posted earlier, it should make a fine model. I didn't think I would get this model as I wasn't sure if it was coming. It did though and I snagged it off the shelf as soon as I saw it. As for re-orders, Great Planes was listing a restock as coming in late September, but a day later that estimate got changed to October. Guess word gets around!

As for the lack of TY and AK markings, I'm not worried. So I'll do it as a Langley bird (where Murph hangs out) and do up one of the 1/72 or 1/48 offerings as Waco's.

Might be interesting to sit alongside Revell's YF-22 and YF-23 kits

I considered that although I can't find my YF-23 kit right now (I found the YF-22 though, NICE kit also). If I did that, I would probably also put the Revell X-35 next to it as the work on the F-22 directly led to developments for the X-35 in terms of the layout that Lockheed selected.

Might be interesting to sit alongside Revell's YF-22 and YF-23 kits

:woot.gif: I got the Revell YF-22 and YF-23 little guys. When I got my little Raptor guys from Japan long ago, one of the first things that I did was compare the new Raptor with the older Revell ones. I noted that the quality of Revell and Japanese (or Trumpeter molds I guess) are pretty much the same, with a lot of details for their size. I only dry fitted them, but they sure look good together. I can imagine all three flying together on a base. :)

Or maybe one more can be added if you like a new tooled F-35 JSF little guy that I recently saw, and ordered from Hobby Link Japan. :D

http://www.hlj.com/product/PITSN-01

Or maybe one more can be added if you like a new tooled F-35 JSF little guy that I recently saw, and ordered from Hobby Link Japan. :soapbox:

http://www.hlj.com/product/PITSN-01

Ohhh Ahhh, pretty! I also like the fact that one can do the Revell X-35 as either the A model or the B STOVL variant. I see this one is the A version pretty much, although a kitbash of the two might be possible to do a B.