Acad 1:48 Bombcat WhIf

Hello all. Another carrier jet, this time a more interesting concept. Imagine the FB-22 tailless raptor concept, add in some VF-1 Valkirie, and plaster it all over the F-14 and you have my latest project.

100_1121.jpg

This is what a weekend's done so far. Get used to a tailless F-14, I may do to its elevators what the YF-23 had just downwards instead of up, or simply have straight, narrow fwspt elevator 'vanes'. Either way, she's getting Raptor-esque thrust vectoring system, a cybernetic brain for a RIO (think ghetto Yukikaze/HAL-9000), and six AIM-120. Still on the lookout for someones AIM-54 decals from th bombcat boxing if you'll part with them.

100_1129.jpg

A quick update. I shortened the landing gear as the kit piece reminded me of certain early navalized F-4C's. Its not completely accurate but it looks alright. As for the weird looking pentagons, those are the short upper-pedals for the TV system. More to follow tongiht after I get done with class and homeowrk (chemistry and math due soon yikes!)

Edited by sv51macross
Hmmmmmmmmm, seems that someone has a little too much time on their hands.......hehe, thats a good thing though!

There are worse things I could be doing...and I didnget all 'satisfactory' on my midterm report. Another update, I've begun the TV structure, taking a good bit on inspirtion from the F-119 (Raptor) and finalized the shape of the upper petals. I've got a fresh new tube of Squadron, so of course the thing will be smoothed out.

100_1131.jpg

Keep at it! This is gonna be cool! :thumbsup:

Any ideas regarding paint scheme yet?

Okay, first, I'm going with the downward-canted elevators, maybe placed a bit back than normal. As for paint, It will get a Ferris camo scheme with the black knights rudder colors on the outer surface of the ruddervators.

Some more updates before bed.

Here we have an overview of the TV structure. The lower petals are going to a bit bigger than the uppers.

100_1132.jpg

A view from behind to give an idea of how the TV will look. I decided against raiding the GE-f110 cans froma couple of my Hasegawa Falcons because I figured I'd stick with Pratt and Whitney engines...F-119 engines, that is...a 70,000lb thrust Tomcat...oohhhh!

100_1133.jpg

And a quick view of the stance with the shortened front landing gear leg. I think it looks better, and for my purposes it will be better anyway.

100_1134.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry all for the erroneous delay. Lost one of the lower exhaust petals twice and had to remake it both times, the squadron took forever to dry and the shapes were hard to get. Excuses aside, the major work is done and painting is underway at the time.

100_1147.jpg

100_1148.jpg

100_1149.jpg

100_1150.jpg

100_1151.jpg

100_1146.jpg

See you all later!

Very interesting. Those stabilizers look really close to the ground, though. Would that give it any problems during landing?

I figure they could be pitched up for landing, with the thrust vectoring adding any needed lift to the rear.