Sea King - first try

Why first try? Actually my last kit was build years ago and after visiting the SAR-Meet this year (www.sar-meet.de) I thought "Let´s try it again!". I want to build a small diorama by using the Revell Sea King with Skua-missiles but first I want to know if i can do a kit properly and try some new techniques. So I bought a cheap airfix-kit to check out what´s what.

Here´s a short comparison of the two kits:

gbix7sm4.jpg

This is a close-up of the Airfix-kit:

9fh2hn77.jpg

...and here´s the Revell-kit:

4b2a7t94.jpg

I think I have to buy loads of putty: :)

s7woon4l.jpg

Looks like a boxer after 12 rounds:

v3682nfr.jpg

To be continued - wish me luck! B)

As we use to say over here: Ach Du Sch***! Good luck! I'll watch that one with interest, looks like a putty-online-workshop to me.

The shape is really horrible, I wish you all the luck and patience in the world!

István

The Airfix-kit is my guinea pig. If the experiment goes wrong, I´ll have no problems throwing it into the bin. That´s why the shape won´t be a big Problem but I´ll do my very best!

2nd day - let´s get it on!

First pic just to show what Airfix sells as kit... :salute:

ipv5robw.jpg

And the rotorblades look like they melted in the sun.

k6i3dp8e.jpg

But as far as this won´t be for the shelf I started slaughtering some plastik. Those raised lines behind the door had to go.

yan33kbf.jpg

And then the door had to be opened. I used a cutter and I was lucky - all fingers are still connected to the rest of my body! :salute:

nlnls363.jpg

"You solved a problem? Here´s your new one!" :woot.gif:

jmw93v7h.jpg

That´s it for today.

Edited by ice225

2nd day - Putty arrived!

n58mqgmv.jpg

...and the kit shows, how badly it needs it! Build-"quality" by Airfix:

bgre2yk4.jpg

My first ever scratchbuild-part. :crying2:

Let´s see, who will guess what this is going to be, when it´s done. It´s made out o 4 pieces of styrene.

ivsbpyh7.jpg

Scratchbuild the 2nd - I added a roof to the instrument panel.

4sokfmyo.jpg

Rotor has been glued together just to be able to seperate it again, later on. You can see the help-lines beneath to make shure it will be a 72°-angle.

6nprtkgd.jpg

Day 3 - making some progress.

Since Airfix didn´t care too much about interior details I took this as a chance to try some new things. I took some rod and added it to the seats, the cockpit-panel (backside) and scratchbuilded some pedals. To make the holes I used a hot needle and then cutted away the supernatant plastic.

Next time I should try to get even thinner rod.

cry72cl8.jpg

Not too bad for the first try.

wpb33bqk.jpg

The seats with the new frame.

icpyyiyz.jpg

Colored - but I will use some more blue on the seats: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Germany---N...King/1135998/M/

nch6iz6r.jpg

And here´s a sneal-peek:

wvojznem.jpg

To be continued... :crying2:

Thank you - it comes back! A little bit more every day.

This is what I made today. First I threw away the partition between cockpit and cabin and tried to scratchbuild the small "locker" behind the pilots seat.

jgznmur7.jpg

And on this I´m a little bit proud. It´s the small folding seat, that´s attached to this "locker".

2qmkv9dq.jpg

This is todays work. Tomorrow I´ll continue to complete the cabin. And some details on that "locker" (anyone got a clue what this locker really is called?).

7e6gzacr.jpg

All the small things... :)

First I have to thank for your comments - feel free to post whatever you think. This will help me to learn and improve. :bandhead2:

Today I attached the missing rotorblades to the rotorhead.

ba276c2r.jpg

When everything is dry I´ll start detailing the rotorhead with small pieces of thin rod.

vfa5inn9.jpg

In the german mk.41 there are some things attached to this broom closet (thank you Winnie for the correct name! :) ) and so I tried to scratchbuild them. Here you see a medipac and the "rest room". I found a good picture here: LINK (4th picture from top)

i9oliebo.jpg

And here is a little fire extinguisher.

7tud9yq4.jpg

Day 4 - fasten your seat belts!

I completed the broom closet with some white wire on the front and made seat belts out of aluminium foil.

joimk332.jpg

Then fire extinguisher, medipac and "toilet" went into place - cockpit finished. :worship:

I just need a small sea anchor storage case behind the left seat and then the rest of the cabin can be done. My problem: not enough pictures of the inside of an Mk.41 - especially the place right of the front door... :worship:

6opicp65.jpg

So I started with the front door itself. When it´s dried up the stairs will be sanded in shape.

fyv3np9i.jpg

Like I said, looking REALLY good. Can´t wait to see you starting "the real model", hopefully you are still motivated after finishing the Airfix-kit... :D

I´ll be back at home in Lübeck in one and a half week, then I will dig in my spare-box and bring a M2 to Kiel for you.

HAJO

Es geht voran :blink: Coming along nicely :coolio: Many tiny details!

One thing: don't forget to remove the moldseamlines from the rotorhead. To avoid such things,

I start every kit with removing these first, so I know there won't be any that would be hard to

reach when they are installed once.

István

Edited by I.Illes
Like I said, looking REALLY good. Can´t wait to see you starting "the real model", hopefully you are still motivated after finishing the Airfix-kit... :woot.gif:

I´ll be back at home in Lübeck in one and a half week, then I will dig in my spare-box and bring a M2 to Kiel for you.

Thank you - for your compliment AND of course for the M2!

Es geht voran :D Coming along nicely :rofl: Many tiny details!

One thing: don't forget to remove the moldseamlines from the rotorhead. To avoid such things,

I start every kit with removing these first, so I know there won't be any that would be hard to

reach when they are installed once.

Good tip! I need some new tools to get that done.

And now - after a short break yesterday - day 5.

Only slow progress but I don´t have to much time per day to get things done. Today I added a relief on the starboard side with styrene(I copied that from the revell kit):

rygqliwt.jpg

It´s for the folding seats and the wall doesn´t look that empty:

rp6dh5xg.jpg

I also made the box for the sea anchor behind the seat on the port side and I started the "radio rack". In lack of pictures I had to use my phantasy for that.

buybuceu.jpg

Color on the rack was too thick while painting it but you won´t really see that, when everything is in place. Next time I´ll use more thinner.

Edited by ice225

A small step....

I finished the interior! :wave:

Last thing on my list was a scratchbuilt folding seat at the radio rack. The floor was painted and some rails were attached to it.

z3vwfizs.jpg

After that was finished and the windows were glued in place and the first layers of putty were laid.

4sl29hds.jpg

I´ll try to rebuild some of the details but that won´t be easy.

wpy2qcxx.jpg

While the cabin dried, I started detailing the rotorhead.

ysb6z277.jpg

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IMAGES MAY DISTURB SOME VIEWERS!!! :)

Today the sea king again showed me, why it will never end up in my showcase! But enough words - let the pictures speak:

7zzkcdg8.jpg

I swear - when I cursed at the kit I was able to hear an echo from those plastic-canyons! :huh:

nehsmfl8.jpg

You have to see it with your own eyes to believe it! :blink:

ezilrwbv.jpg

Sponsored by putty!

jpdcsvqk.jpg

...and you´re not able to build a chocolate-side, because on the other side it´s just the same.

kr2spr83.jpg

I ask myself whether they ever assembled one of their kits to see, whether that can be done at all.

But enough horror for today - I hope the nightmares won´t be to frightening tonight. :cheers:

Well, you´d have my fully support if you switch over to the Revell-model right now... :lol:

Yesterday I nearly threw it all into the bin but I want to try some new techniques (paint/decals) so I´ll go on.

Of course I´ll reduce the effords a bit.

It´will be a little adventure to get those gaps closed. :thumbsup:

Edited by ice225
While the cabin dried, I started detailing the rotorhead.

ysb6z277.jpg

I´ve redone that because the old rod was way too thick but now I think (while looking at the image) I should add some more. :unsure:

3qpg3gol.jpg