As far as I know, plans have been in place to raise and restore it for quite some time. Unfortunately, no one quite knows exactly where it is. I really, really, REALLY hope they find it and restore it right. The Bv 222 is one of my favorites, and the V2 would be the only intact airframe left in the world.

I guess they thought they found something a while back, but it turned out to be a Short Sunderland.

From the Obscureco site:

The BV222 V2 briefly wore US markings before being filled with BV 222 spare parts, towed out and sunk by the British. Today, there are plans to raise and restore it"

Seriously? Is there a web site for this? :wub:

Yup, V2 wore US markings and now rests outside Trondheim city in Norway. From Wikipedia here:

The V2 aircraft briefly wore US markings in 1946. Strangely the V2 aircraft had identification markings given to her from the original V5 aircraft for Operation Schatzgräber. V2 was later scuttled by the British who filled her with BV 222 spare parts from the base at Ilsvika to weigh her down. V2 was towed to a position between Fagervika and Monk's island where it is thought she now rests perfectly preserved on the seabed, owing to low oxygen levels in the water. There are plans to raise and restore this aircraft.

Bv222_V2_captured_1.jpg

My favourite bit about the Obscureco website is the pair of rather sardonic comments on the picture of the tailplane, about making your model even heavier and being a good replacement wing for 72nd scale fighters! More comedy please...

Edited by thom
My favourite bit about the Obscureco website is the pair of rather sardonic comments on the picture of the tailplane, about making your model even heavier and being a good replacement wing for 72nd scale fighters! More comedy please...

All those comments is one reason I keep going back to the Obscureco website, even if I'm not in the market for anything at the moment. Too funny!

:bandhead2:

Mike

That would be one heck of a recovery/restoration, particularly if the airframe and the spare parts are still in as good a condition as the Wikipedia article suggests. I hope some day it comes to fruition.

Thanks for the replies :doh: Obscureco I am going to have to deal with, anyone who can use the word 'catywumpuss' gets my dollar (and I understand their Hellcat cowl is a required item.)

Re the big bird, will watch out for this. Followed the lines above: the Sunderland is in 180m isn't she? And the vis looks 'variable.' So that's tecchie diving and/or remotes? The salvage alone would be worth seeing, let alone the prospect of a gert big Wiking sitting on the deck intact.

By the way, Happy Thanksgiving to US readers for tomorrow :)

Patrick