Tamiya 1/32 build either VF-2 or VF-101

Hey guys, thanks for all the help and positive feedback. For all the frustration that the build caused, i`m glad to have a Tomcat in my display case. I learned or relearned on this build, had stayed away from resin parts ( not including seats ) for a long time. To have a D i had to use the Wolfpack stuff, a real trial by fire. I should mention some of the other aftermarket stuff i used. I didn`t use the Wolfpack airbrake detail set, when i cut the required parts away from the build, it became very weak as i had cut off around the rear engine pods. The beavertail almost broke off a few times, i finally glued the airbrakes on to prevent breaking off the beavertail. The Steel beach structural reinforcements were great!! problem was i forgot to put them onto the refueling door and the inner tails. :thumbsup: I could suggest that they use a clear film to hold the parts to aid in placing the multi level parts. Fightertown decals wre a treat!! Excellent choice of scheme, easy to work with. Painted with ModelMaster Acryl through an Aztek airbrush, weathered with Promodeller Wash and MiG Pigments. I guess thats it!!

Don

Hey Anders, when will we see more progress? Looking forward to more of your mad detail work.

Edited by dmthamade
Hey Anders, when will we see more progress? Looking forward to more of your mad detail work.

Thanks for your interest, Don. I haven't had much time for the workbench lately but I hope to make some progress soon.

Actually thinking about starting a 1/144th scale build to be able to complete something for the GB deadline. As much as I like building the Tamiya Tomcat I think it's safe to say this one will not make it in time. I'm just too slow... :wacko:

Cheers,

Anders

As much as I like building the Tamiya Tomcat I think it's safe to say this one will not make it in time. I'm just too slow... :deadhorse1:

Cheers,

Anders

Me too, that's why my build is in the other in-progress section. I know from experience (all bad) that I shouldn't rush anything. I always wind up paying the price.

I'll be very interested in his F-14A build too. I have enough F-14A parts now that I really should make one some day, so we'll let Don lead the way! ;)

Edited by chuck540z3
  • 1 month later...

It really does look the part mate!!!!

I am curious, ive just been through this thread on noticed something, how did you manage make that step in the top wing fairing but keep the fairing close to the wing. when i did this on my tamiya tomcat it raised the fairing panel off the wing a little bit.

Benny

It really does look the part mate!!!!

I am curious, ive just been through this thread on noticed something, how did you manage make that step in the top wing fairing but keep the fairing close to the wing. when i did this on my tamiya tomcat it raised the fairing panel off the wing a little bit.

Benny

Hello Benny!! To do the raised panel, i placed a sheet plastic shim under the gluing surface on the underside of therear fuselage part. Pic below should be self explanatory.

IMG_4370a.jpg

This pic shows the upper surface

IMG_4369a.jpg

The thickness of the shim will determine how high the step will be. Something i noticed i didn`t do is the area on the wings that are covered by the fairings when the wings are swept. There should be some weathering done here. Will do this then post some pics.

Don

I did a similar thing on mine, but heres what im getting at.

After the work is done, the panel is lifted right. this give you a large gap in between the panel, and the wing, when the panel is supposed to be pushing down on the wing, right???????

P.S, you did better than i did, by the look of it!

I did a similar thing on mine, but heres what im getting at.

After the work is done, the panel is lifted right. this give you a large gap in between the panel, and the wing, when the panel is supposed to be pushing down on the wing, right???????

P.S, you did better than i did, by the look of it!

Ohhh, okay!! Now i understand!! I can't remember doing anything out of the ordinary for that part, i did use strip stock to add a seal at the rear of the fairing. Looking at the instructions doesen't help me see anything out of the ordinary either. I do remember making sure all the screws were tight and clamping things tightly when i glued the top fuselage to the bottom. Sorry i can't help more.

Don

That looks beautiful. Something like that on your shelf will be a centerpiece!

Hello richter111, right now it is the top dog ( or Cat ) in the display case for a few reasons. For starters, it's a Tomcat in outstanding markings. I used a lot of aftermarket stuff. It was a LOT of work adapting said aftermarket. Rescribing,'nuff said. Been a long time for me to actually "build" a model instead of stick parts together. I know it is nowhere as complex as some of the superdetailed stuff or scratchbuilt builds here, but for me it is a real accomplishment. Still have to do the grease/oil stains on the wings, will post pics when i finish that.

Don

• 3 weeks later...

Left this to the last minute, but i finally got my lazy self to finish the build by applying the stains to the wings. Tried different things but never pleased with the results, finally settled with pastels. Seen these done in varying amounts of staining, didn't go too heavy with these as the rest of the plane isn't too heavily weathered.

IMG_4458a.jpg

IMG_4459a.jpg

Don