1/72 Fine Molds A6M3 Type 32!

It looks like Fine Molds has decided to release a Hamp. I'm sure it's a lot like their Type 21 that was released a little over a year ago.

http://www.hlj.com/product/MDGSA065?nav=rss

I was thinking of converting one of my Type 21s to a 22. Isn't the 22 & the 32 very similar? I think the only difference is the wing (21 & 22 have the same wing, right?). Anyone know off the top of their heads?

That Hamp came out almost a month ago on Dec 13 with the release of the January issue of Scale Aviation. It's a nice kit, but a bit pricey at ¥3200. The kit itself is very much like the Type 21 released earlier. This one has 4 decal options instead of three. Nice kit.

Just working from memory here, but I think the model 22 was completely different from the 21 forward of the cockpit, so converting a 21 to a 22 would be very difficult. Since the 22 was actually a 32 with the longer, rounded wingtips, it would be much easier to make a 22 from a 32. Chronoligically, I believe the 32 actually came before the 22.

I hope that wasn't too confusing.. :whistle:

SN

That's basically right.

The A6M3 differed from the A6M2 in having a redesigned cowling and an uprated engine with the firewall moved aft. The wings on the Type 32, which did come first, had the folding wingtips of the A6M2 removed and then were squared off. The Type 22 replaced the folding wingtips to regain the lost maneuverability of the Type 21. But there were some other changes made to the Type 22 wing like fuel tanks and bulges for the cannon.

It should be do-able to cross-kit the FM Type 21 and Type 32 to get close to a Type 22. But, YIKES, that would be one expensive kit. If it were me, I'd just build the nice Hasegawa Type 22 adding resin or PE or scratching missing detail. That would be a whole lot easier on the wallet and, to me, it would be a whole lot more satisfying to build. Or you could wait for FM to issue a Type 22. Somewhere down the road that's probably going to happen.

It's a nice kit, but a bit pricey at ¥3200. .

But it requires no aftermarket. On their Type 21 the only extras I've had to add were seat belts and a shoulder harness, plus drilling out the lightening holes on the seat. I wonder if they have conventional instruction sheets now or are still using magazines for that?

Regards,

Murph

The model 32 and 22 wings have additional differences aside from the wingtips. On the model 32, the aileron is not the same size as it is on the model 22. If you flip the model 32 upside down, there is a short span of metal between the flap and the aileron. On the model 22 (and 21), there is no space. The aileron was actually shortened one rib. To make a model 22 (or 22a) you'd need the model 21 wing and the engine/cowl from the model 32. You'll also need to reference the particular aircraft you intend to model as it may have either a fixed or moveable rudder trim tab (depending upon when it was manufactured). For a 22a, you'll need to source the wing cannon from a model 52.

Tim

Edited by timc
But it requires no aftermarket. On their Type 21 the only extras I've had to add were seat belts and a shoulder harness, plus drilling out the lightening holes on the seat. I wonder if they have conventional instruction sheets now or are still using magazines for that?

Regards,

Murph

The instruction sheet is printed inside the magazine Scale Aviation for which the kit is a premium. Strictly speaking this is really the Scale Aviation A6M3 produced by FineMolds. And the kit still needs seat belts for which FineMolds produces a photo etch sheet sold separately.

• 2 years later...
The instruction sheet is printed inside the magazine Scale Aviation for which the kit is a premium. Strictly speaking this is really the Scale Aviation A6M3 produced by FineMolds. And the kit still needs seat belts for which FineMolds produces a photo etch sheet sold separately.

Sorry to resurect this old fossil but I have managed to obtain a Fine Molds A6M3 Type 32 kit but not the Scale Aviation magazines that provide the instructions, etc. I can assemble the kit as I also have also the Fine Molds A6M2 Type 21 kit but I would like the the painting and markings guide for the A6M3. Can anyone do a scan and email them to me or is there a source on the net somewhere? I haven't been able to find the complete instructions listed.

thanks!

Sorry to resurect this old fossil but I have managed to obtain a Fine Molds A6M3 Type 32 kit but not the Scale Aviation magazines that provide the instructions, etc. I can assemble the kit as I also have also the Fine Molds A6M2 Type 21 kit but I would like the the painting and markings guide for the A6M3. Can anyone do a scan and email them to me or is there a source on the net somewhere? I haven't been able to find the complete instructions listed.

thanks!

I've got you covered, Ham. I can do that for you tomorrow!

Cheers,

Rich