Color scheme of Mi-24

hey!

I am planning to make a Mi-24 with soviet decals and paint scheme. However, I cant seem to find decent pictures of a Mi-24 with both sides visible. I have the italeri kit (1/72) so it comes with the markings of "yellow 07" but I also have a Begemot decal sheet with other markings such as "yellow 08" "white 08" and "Blue 23" all of them flew in Afghanistan. Do you guys know a site with pictures of this bird, the Mi-24, where I can see both sides in order to make the paint scheme as close to the real one as possible?

thnx!

Hi Moche

I made a research on russian websites, looking for ми-24.

You can find a lot, but it seems that afghanistan war pictures are rare, and often black and white.

However, interesting pictures showing side guns, etc.

Hope that more will come in the future

Norbert

Hi Moche

I made a research on russian websites, looking for ми-24.

You can find a lot, but it seems that afghanistan war pictures are rare, and often black and white.

However, interesting pictures showing side guns, etc.

Hope that more will come in the future

Norbert

which russian websites are you referring to?

At my dad's this weekend I was looking at his Concord book on Afghanistan, could not remember the number on the Hind they showed, but any way, people seem to forget that this was during the cold war.

As it explained in the begining, pictures were not really allowed to be taken, So the authors were privileged, infact most of the pictures you see on that conflict actually seem to have came from that book. Yves Debay were one of the photographers, and the other was from Poland.

The Illistrations were from the infamous Steve Zaloga, who after being featured on the Military Channel a few times as a blabing head, reverted to doing stupid books like " Tiger Vs Sherman," or what ever that really stupid book is called. .......... I hate Vanguard,................ please Concord .......... reprint some older books, like this one.

BTW, was it this? http://www.ruswar.com/air.htm

Edited by phantomconstructer
At my dad's this weekend I was looking at his Concord book on Afghanistan, could not remember the number on the Hind they showed, but any way, people seem to forget that this was during the cold war.

As it explained in the begining, pictures were not really allowed to be taken, So the authors were privileged, infact most of the pictures you see on that conflict actually seem to have came from that book. Yves Debay were one of the photographers, and the other was from Poland.

The Illistrations were from the infamous Steve Zaloga, who after being featured on the Military Channel a few times as a blabing head, reverted to doing stupid books like " Tiger Vs Sherman," or what ever that really stupid book is called. .......... I hate Vanguard,................ please Concord .......... reprint some older books, like this one.

BTW, was it this? http://www.ruswar.com/air.htm

I already have looked up some books but most of them do not contain pictures of soviet Hinds in Afghanistan. Aviationmegastore does not sell the Concord book ;)! I will try to look up the photographer to see what I can get...

Ruswar.com has some great pictures just like skywar.ru but it does not contain the kind of pictures I want: pictures of BOTH sides of one Hind....

Moche,

If you can get hold of it - try to obtain a copy of the book 'Hot Sky in Afghanistan' - by Viktor Markovskiy.

http://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?OTH-040

It has a chapter devoted to the Mi-24 - with B&W (+ 1 colour) photos - and 8 colour side profiles.

I have looked online for it - but as it has no ISBN No, it's difficult to search..................

Ken

Concord only has the last few pages on helicopters, but the walk around has photos of an F, both sides, front and back, as well as a Hip. (the same).

Concord is more taylored towards the armor modeler, but the pics they choose count, no matter what they do, and pics are what we want.

Flankerman, I have the tittle "Modern Soviet Warplanes," By Steve Zaloga and that is one of two tittles they do on aircraft. Eventhough it was published in 1991, it is a very good refrence on aircraft, even shows some good detail on Iraqi Jets (walk around). I highly recomend it.

sorry, but the point of my last rant was to point out that there were not alot of pics on Afghanistan, 1979-1988, and most pics published were probably taken by the guys who wrote that book. (I know sounds silly, but if you read the intro, and recognise the pics you understand)

Edited by phantomconstructer

'Hot Skies over Afghanistan' was more of an historical work than a modeller's profile-type book, although it did contain some side-view profiles. We were hoping to help Markovsky publish an English-language edition about ten years ago, but there were too many copyright issues with the many rare and revealing photos he had collected for the book.

We dealt with the the two major Army Aviation Afghan theatre Mi-24 colour schemes in our decal sheets LHD 72006 and 48006. One was the standard export scheme (I believe some Hinds destined for export were diverted to Army Aviation as the conflict worsened) and the other was a desert-type scheme used in the old Turkestan Military District. I don't have the exact FS numbers to hand, but we were able to piece this information together for the instruction booklet from various sources. As with all subjects related to Russian helicopters, we were indebted to Yevgeny Borissov of Heliborne, the 'delphic oracle' on such matters, for his help.

HTH

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/lindenhilldecals.htm

Moche did you take a look @ militaryphotos forums?

There were some topics regarding Hinds and if not some color stuff can be found in a movie called 9th Company but I don't know if is 100% accurate

Luigi

Hi Moshe

as I said, just just search google using ми-24 to get the Mi-24 in russian language, where I add ru to focus more on russian sites.

I did not find the russian word for afghanistan, had be better

and looking here and there, you find sites like :

this

It's a trick I use sometime, when I do not speek the language, search in the keywords in the foreign language

so "ми-24 ru" here

I searched also "ми-24 Потери" but did not know if the last word is the one

Norbert

Hello guys,

I have been looking for years for pictures from both sides of Soviet operated Mi-24's (from the Afghanistan war or wherever) in order to reproduce an accurate camouflage pattern, but it is a very difficult job. Some years ago, on the cover of the Defence Helicopter World magazine (vol.8, n.3, June-July 1989), I found an interesting picture of an Afghanistan based Hind F, but I never found pictures from the other side of the same machine. It is a pity, because I love this particular pattern.

The only two-side photos I ever managed to find come from the French magazine Replic (# 136, December 2002). They published pictures of a Mi-24 V Hind E (“yellow 40â€) from both sides. But it is not an Afghanistan based machine.

Since I’m a newbie, I don’t know how to upload photos to the forum. It if there are anyone interested in the pictures I talk about, please let me know and I will send them by e-mail.

Joaquin

Hello guys,

I have been looking for years for pictures from both sides of Soviet operated Mi-24's (from the Afghanistan war or wherever) in order to reproduce an accurate camouflage pattern, but it is a very difficult job. Some years ago, on the cover of the Defence Helicopter World magazine (vol.8, n.3, June-July 1989), I found an interesting picture of an Afghanistan based Hind F, but I never found pictures from the other side of the same machine. It is a pity, because I love this particular pattern.

The only two-side photos I ever managed to find come from the French magazine Replic (# 136, December 2002). They published pictures of a Mi-24 V Hind E (“yellow 40â€) from both sides. But it is not an Afghanistan based machine.

Since I’m a newbie, I don’t know how to upload photos to the forum. It if there are anyone interested in the pictures I talk about, please let me know and I will send them by e-mail.

Joaquin

you can upload at www.tinypic.com or some other site that allows you to upload. I am very interested in you pictures.

you can upload at www.tinypic.com or some other site that allows you to upload. I am very interested in you pictures.

I have uploaded the pictures.

The Soviet-Afghanistan War machine is:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2yy8exc.jpg

I wish I could find someday, somewhere, the two side picture of a similar machine.

The two side picture of "yellow 40" is here, but is NOT an Afghanistan War machine.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2vbx3l5.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2gwief9.jpg

I hope you find it useful.

Regards

Joaquin

• 2 weeks later...
I have uploaded the pictures.

The Soviet-Afghanistan War machine is:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2yy8exc.jpg

I wish I could find someday, somewhere, the two side picture of a similar machine.

I think I found a picture of this Mi-24 from the right side. Both of them are "White 07". Found it on www.skywar.ru

Mi-24yellow07a.jpg

The picture you posted is the same as the box art of the Italeri kit (1/72). However, IRL the camo used in the box art is painted on a Mi-24P Hind F and not on a Hind D/E.

Do you perhaps have more pictures of the Mi-24 that were published in the magazine?

Edited by Moche

Hi Moche,

Thank you very much for the picture!!! One of my dreams have come true!!! I have been looking for a picture like this for ages!

I know the Italeri box-art shows a similar machine, but I feel the Italeri guys are not very accurate when it come to box art and painting diagrams. I don't mean it is necessary wrong, but I'm not confident of their box-art, because the box-art and the painting instructions in quite a lot of their kits don't match.

With regard to the magazine, I bought it thinking I was going to find some other pictures inside. But unfortunately, there were no more photos of the Mi-24. Nevertheless, I still think it was worth buying the magazine only for the cover.

Hi Moche,

Thank you very much for the picture!!! One of my dreams have come true!!! I have been looking for a picture like this for ages!

I know the Italeri box-art shows a similar machine, but I feel the Italeri guys are not very accurate when it come to box art and painting diagrams. I don't mean it is necessary wrong, but I'm not confident of their box-art, because the box-art and the painting instructions in quite a lot of their kits don't match.

With regard to the magazine, I bought it thinking I was going to find some other pictures inside. But unfortunately, there were no more photos of the Mi-24. Nevertheless, I still think it was worth buying the magazine only for the cover.

That's a shame. I was wondering wether to email Italeri and ask them about the paint scheme they provide with the kit but their website doesnt work and also this message makes me think twice about sending it or not. Too bad :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Moche,

Hey man!

I made a color profile of the white 07 Mi-24P. Thought it may prove usefull for you. Im going to use this scheme for my soviet Hind.

Mi-24White07PSD.jpg

That's a shame. I was wondering wether to email Italeri and ask them about the paint scheme they provide with the kit but their website doesnt work and also this message makes me think twice about sending it or not. Too bad :thumbsup:

I don't think that Italeri uses good references and their accuracy for some type of camouflage patterns is always so-so.For the F-5E/F they took info e part of the scheme from some D&S Book and they not provided all the views (E case),same thing for the F-4S in Ferris,Mig-23/27 and some others too.For me they simple take spare pictures here and there guess a scheme and put it on in their instructions. :woot.gif:

Luigi