I just finished an AFV M36 tank destroyer. EVERY one of the decals in the kit just disintegrated when I tried to put them on the vehicle. I'm pretty good with decals and I've never had this happen before. Has anyone else had problems with AFV decals or do you think I just did something wrong? Thanks! Ethan

Has anyone else had problems with AFV decals or do you think I just did something wrong?

I built one of their M10 kits, and found the decals cranky. They didn't want to conform to details, then didn't want to smooth out, then flaked off. Micro Sol and Solvaset seemingly did more harm than good.

My next armor project, a Sherman, had me using paint masks and dry transfers.

I built one of their M10 kits, and found the decals cranky. They didn't want to conform to details, then didn't want to smooth out, then flaked off. Micro Sol and Solvaset seemingly did more harm than good.

My next armor project, a Sherman, had me using paint masks and dry transfers.

I had the same problem. Its almost as if they are printed on .005 clear styrene than carrier film. In the end I resorted to the 'big hammer' and hit them with a shot of liquid cement (Tamiya thin) thus melting them into submission. That learned 'em.

(then the stupid AFV rubber band tracks were way too short and broke when I tried to make 'em fit, but thats another story...)

Cheers,

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

I have had no issues w/AFV Club decals. All brands can have this happen if they are older and dried up a bit. I always start w/a test decal first. If it falls apart, all you have to do is spray a clearcoat (Testors dulcote or glosscote, Krylon Crystal Clear, etc...) over the decal sheet to restore the carrier film. Let it dry and they will be as good as new.

Grreeaaatt, I got a whole stack of AFV kits to be built.

Don't worry, they are not usually an issue. From my above post:

I have had no issues w/AFV Club decals. All brands can have this happen if they are older and dried up a bit. I always start w/a test decal first. If it falls apart, all you have to do is spray a clearcoat (Testors dulcote or glosscote, Krylon Crystal Clear, etc...) over the decal sheet to restore the carrier film. Let it dry and they will be as good as new.
  • 14 years later...