Mitsubishi F-2A

A mini update :woo:

Been busy sanding and filling this morning. Well the going´s been pretty smooth so far actually...well little surprise there , it´s a gawa after all.

But there was a couple of trouble spots (other than that airinlet).

Mostly I got by with some simple CA filling put a couple of patches needed some putty as well. Here behind, the wing attachment point, there was a somewhat stubborn spot but I got it to heel with some Squadron putty.

DSC01790.jpg

The same on the other side....

DSC01795.jpg

The other little troublespot is the nose cone, or rather the lack there of :P, I´d have liked this as a separate piece instead of it being a part of the hull halves!

The reason is those small "rods" onn the nosecone, the seam gos right nest to a rod on each side of the nosecone and sanding it away is almost unavoidable!! I´m a lazy builder and I don´t like extra work!

There´s some angleof attack sensors on each side as well....they went as well but I them I had always intended to replace with piano wire...

Gone!!

DSC01792.jpg

Evergreen plastic to the rescue!

DSC01793.jpg

and the same on the other side....

DSC01794.jpg

And a little dry fit just to please the eye.....

DSC01796.jpg

I haven´t dealt with the airinlet gap yet....thought I´d do the easy stuff first!

Thanx for looking

Cheers!

Been pushing the "FFWD-button" again, have we...???!!!

Looking Good my friend. Keep it up.

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

Oh just had a couple of days of quality building time :thumbsup:

Now I´ll be busy for a few days again......

Thanx Jack :doh:

Just have to do a little piece at a time.

I´ve puttied the seam behind the airinlet and so far it looks alright...gonna do some polishing there first :) Then I thought I´d do the exhaust and assemble the wings. and when that´s done it´s time to polish up the canopy....it´s one of those with a seam running through the middle :P

Cheers!

Dude....I don't know how you can...I'm there on the edge of throwing my hornet against the hard wall!!!!!!

I'm getting crazy with the seams I have and those fitting problems....

I really don't know how you can....

Cheers bro...I'm out!

:wacko:

Having a fit over fit issues? :P

Naw this F-2 is pretty kind to me so far....not really that bad fit wise, not bad at all...it´s really just that airinlet that troubles me.....or rather troubled me it´s done and over with now :bandhead2:

Pics next week I promise :P

Just take a deep breath Bro!

hi Janne,

i was just looking through your thread and noticed a couple of references to "ethylacetate". are you talking about solvent? if so how does this act as a glue, does it melt the plastic pieces together?

im just wondering as i use E.A in my job for printing, to adjust drying rates for different liquid inks. if i use more than say, 10% for an extended period over the day it can swell then eventually melt my photopolymer plates.

i also use it sometimes to clean some parts of the airbrush, and was interested to learn how you use it.

thanks,

Josh

Edited by bigjim
hi Janne,

i was just looking through your thread and noticed a couple of references to "ethylacetate". are you talking about solvent? if so how does this act as a glue, does it melt the plastic pieces together?

im just wondering as i use E.A in my job for printing, to adjust drying rates for different liquid inks. if i use more than say, 10% for an extended period over the day it can swell then eventually melt my photopolymer plates.

i also use it sometimes to clean some parts of the airbrush, and was interested to learn how you use it.

thanks,

Josh

It´s a most eminent glue....and cheap as well! As you said, it´s a very strong solvent and it does indeed melt the plastic together, I´d go as far as almost call it a weld because the seam actually disapears and two aircraft halfes becomes one piece!

I apply it with a natural hair brush, don´t use a synthetic brush...it´ll melt!!

It´s almost instant and you can "force" warped fuselage halves together by glueing a small bit at a time. It´s very runny as well and you can use the capilary force to make the EA spreas evenly in seams.

If you spill on the plastic or any clear parts it doesn´t matter because it evaporates almost instantly, the plastic may look a bit glossy but paint covers that up really neatly :bandhead2:

So instead of buying expensive Tamyia liquid glue....buy ethylacetate from paintshops or chemical stores!

Cheers!

or i can just raid the ink store at work where we have a few 44 gallon drums of it laying about!!

thanks for the reply Janne, most interesting, i'll go and experiment now with a few bits of scrap sprue.

by the way, nice build coming along, following with interest :lol:

Josh

or i can just raid the ink store at work where we have a few 44 gallon drums of it laying about!!

thanks for the reply Janne, most interesting, i'll go and experiment now with a few bits of scrap sprue.

by the way, nice build coming along, following with interest :)

Josh

44 gallon drums?! :whistle:

Well you could always start up a lucrative blackmarket glue dealership in your home area :P

I bet modelers would que up for some of the stuff!

Cheers!

Time for a another small update!

Haven´t really done that much but since I´ve been working on and off all day on the Mitsu and taken pics I thouhgt I might as well post them :P

Here´s what the seam between the airintake and the airframe ended up looking like..

DSC01797.jpg

I put the wings on as well...and they really needed som putty :thumbsup:

DSC01802.jpg

Sanded smooth..

DSC01815.jpg

After all that sanding and filling I felt like doing something fun again so i set out to do the exhaust!

These are the parts that make up the exhaust and AB

DSC01798.jpg

I primed it all in Alclad grey primer

DSC01800.jpg

and the rear part of the engine nozzle recieved some gloss black primer as well.

DSC01803.jpg

The I shot AlcladII Exhaust and then masked it off and shot more glossblack primer on the little ring around the exhaust. It will be painted in airframe aluminium.

DSC01814.jpg

The turkey feathers recieved some Alclad exhaust as well, but I only primed them in grey and some honeyprimer before the exhaust came on.

Here you can see the color changes depending on the primer underneath on the little dry fit of the exhaust

DSC01817.jpg

Now I just mask off the little space between the turkey feathers...it´ll be that dark exhaust shade as wellso I started off with shooting glossblack primer!

DSC01819.jpg

Wile that was drying I glued on the rear part o the exhaust to the airfram as well as masked off the metal colors.

DSC01818.jpg

So far so good!

Other than that stuff I´ve done some work on the canopy, getting rid of seams and dipping them in Klear....

Not really worth posting the pics of that process :coolio:

Cheers!

I really enjoy to follow this threat :)

It´s a most eminent glue....and cheap as well! As you said, it´s a very strong solvent and it does indeed melt the plastic together, I´d go as far as almost call it a weld because the seam actually disapears and two aircraft halfes becomes one piece!

I apply it with a natural hair brush, don´t use a synthetic brush...it´ll melt!!

It´s almost instant and you can "force" warped fuselage halves together by glueing a small bit at a time. It´s very runny as well and you can use the capilary force to make the EA spreas evenly in seams.

If you spill on the plastic or any clear parts it doesn´t matter because it evaporates almost instantly, the plastic may look a bit glossy but paint covers that up really neatly :)

So instead of buying expensive Tamyia liquid glue....buy ethylacetate from paintshops or chemical stores!

Cheers!

Cool!!! I've heard about this stuff, but I forgot the name... (and I don't want to get arrested for accidentally asking for the wrong stuff! :D )

<...> After all that sanding and filling I felt like doing something fun again <...>

Yeah, right! Come on, man, just admit it. You LOVE filling and sanding! Otherwise you wouldn't be doing so much of it and on kits that don't even need it! :)

nice job on the exaust, looks realistic

cheers

Thanx Pompeo :D

I really enjoy to follow this threat :)

Cool!!! I've heard about this stuff, but I forgot the name... (and I don't want to get arrested for accidentally asking for the wrong stuff! :) )

Just remember not to drink it.........

Yeah, right! Come on, man, just admit it. You LOVE filling and sanding! Otherwise you wouldn't be doing so much of it and on kits that don't even need it! :D

:P Cant´help being a crappy builder!