It's 1940, and the RAF buying commission is touring the United States looking for modern fighters to purchase. Dismissing the Curtiss P-40 series as nearly obsolete, they are smitten by the Vought Corsair design. Unable to buy enough of them from Vought, they talk North American Aviation into building the F4U under licence. When the United States is attacked by Japan in December, 1941, North American receives a huge order for Corsairs to be built for the USAAC/USAAF.

Seen here is a P-52C-25-NA Corsair of the 328th FS, 352nd FG, flown by Maj. George Preddy. This is how the aircraft appeared in December 1944.

Image013-2.jpg

Image014.jpg

Image016.jpg

Image021-1.jpg

Alvis 3.1

Edited by Alvis 3.1

Decals used: SuperScale "Mustangs of the 352 FG"

Kit used: 1/48 Otaki Corsair. And I must say, it's not as nice as some of their other kits. It fit okay, but the canopy is overly thick, and the exhausts were merely molded on raised lines instead of distinct pipes. My biggest dissapointment is that while I thought this would look cool, in the end, I discovered that bare metal Corsairs are ugly! This one goes to the scrap heap!

Alvis 3.1

Decals used: SuperScale "Mustangs of the 352 FG"

Kit used: 1/48 Otaki Corsair. And I must say, it's not as nice as some of their other kits. It fit okay, but the canopy is overly thick, and the exhausts were merely molded on raised lines instead of distinct pipes. My biggest dissapointment is that while I thought this would look cool, in the end, I discovered that bare metal Corsairs are ugly! This one goes to the scrap heap!

Alvis 3.1

It looks very good from here. Personally, I like the look of the bare metal finish on your Corsair for two reasons. I can't do one very well and I'm weird. :whistle:

Eddie

Very nice! :) I agree about the OD. A Corsair in natural metal is kinda odd.

I've got a Mexican WWII Corsair planned. Markings of their pacific-theatre Thunderbolts. I don't know whether to go for OD/grey or natural metal, though. With the stripes, markings and so on it might look good on natural metal.

• 2 weeks later...
My biggest dissapointment is that while I thought this would look cool, in the end, I discovered that bare metal Corsairs are ugly! This one goes to the scrap heap.

Invasion stripes! That's what it needs.

Ed

I gave tgis one away to a friend..it was that, or jump up and down on it. he dirtied up the wings, added a few extra numbers, and a drop tank as well..it helped "clutter" up the wings a bit, so it's less hideous. I still don't like it tho... :thumbsup:

Oh well, they can't ALL be gems!

Alvis 3.1