1/48 Hasegawa TF-104 Starfighter in 2OCU RAAF markings

Hi Guys,

As above, this is probably what the RAAF would've got if the Mirage IIIO deal fell through. When discussions was had back in the late 50s about what was going to be a suitable replacement for the Sabre, the fianl contenders were the Mirage IIIO and the F-104 Starfighter. It was felt that the 104 was going to be more costly to maintain and operate so the decision went to the Dassault Mirage IIIO. But, if the 104 had've won the spot what would it have looked like? This is going to be my interpretation which I have started in the last two days (totally OOB);

DSC02881.jpg

DSC02880.jpg

DSC02878.jpg

DSC02882.jpg

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Doppel

Andrew,

Looks good. It's a nice kit too, as I've also been working on a TF-104 in the last few days (although it will be either RAF or SAAF) and have had some fun with it.

Got your paint scheme in mind yet? If not, Gekko did some nice RAAF 104's over on the what if site (www.whatifmodelers.com).

Looking forward to what you do with it

regards,

Gary F

Cheers :P for your comments.

I'm in two minds about how it will look. I was thinking perhaps NMF with yellow scollops on the intake edges and yellow wing tanks, horizontal tail plane and with 2OCU tail flash markings on vertical tail and a black or partially black nose, or Mirage three tone lizard scheme with 76 Squadron tail flash and red and black stripped wing tanks. I really like the NMF look on the 104 which I'm leaning towards mostly.

Regards

Andrew :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well since I now have no option but to go NMF as there's already a camo one, here's the painting progress that I've done on my TF-104 which will be in the markings of the RAAF's 2OCU (Operational Conversion Unit). I think it'll look okay.

Regards

Andrew

DSC02885.jpg

DSC02886.jpg

DSC02887.jpg

Cheers :jaw-dropping: Moritz and Gary. The decals came from Southern Sky in WA. They are the 2OCU Mirage decals I just happened to have floating around that I was never going to use for anything else. The NMF is Humbrol metalcote and was very easy to use and with no undercoat ala Alclad.

Regards

Andrew :whistle:

That's freaking sweet! Another whif that just looks right. If this had been a reality, I wonder what the RAAF would have chosen to replace them with. A lot of F-104 operators then bought F-16s, though Canada went for the F/A-18 like us.

Chris

Just finished-1/48 Hasegawa TF-104G in fresh livery RAAF markings of 2 OCU, Williamtown, NSW circa 1963-64. This is what the RAAF would most likely of ended up with had they not chosen the Dassault Mirage IIIO. Humbrol Metal Cote used for the NMF with Tamiya yellow and black for the tail and other markings. Decals from the kit, Southern Sky 2OCU Mirage sheet and 'Daphne' is from the old Roodecal sheet. Tamiya weathering pack used to darken engine area and panels. I didn't want to go too hard and spoil the NMF look so kept it subtle. I hope you like her.

Regards

Andrew

DSC02895.jpg

DSC02896.jpg

DSC02897.jpg

DSC02898.jpg

DSC02899.jpg

DSC02900.jpg

DSC02901.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great work Andrew..

Haven't been around much of late.. Am working hard to get back to Australia at the end of the year..

Never ever thought about this aircraft in RAAF colours.. But mate, I think you nailed it in all honesty..

Chris

Cheers Chris,

Sorry I hadn't seen your post earlier. When will you know when you're returning to Oz?

Regards

Andrew :coolio:

Mate, I would like us all to move back at X-mas, but I think that may just be a trip for a few weeks as the wife is contracted to work until next March. (She is a Japanese school teacher)

It may be a situation where by I will probably stay on, and get things set up, and she will return with the kids.. Still don't know yet. But she is the one pushing to live in Australia.. And in all honesty, after nearly 10 years here, I have had enough also...

Chris