F-15C Mod Eagle scheme

Ok, I will keep this very short as I know this has been asked a brazillion times(perhaps we can get it pinnned) but what FS numbers will get me to the Mod Eagle scheme....I prefer tamiya and gunze...and I'd rather not mix paints so if I have to I'd go with MM than so be it...just so I can get that blueish look. Thanks in advance

Ok...navy aggressor grey hmmmm....I saw somewhere that medium blue was the correct color...Ken, Murph...any suggestions...I'm building Ironmen jet and there are some variations in the appearance of the bluish gray...so I want it as close to blue but not too blue.

Ok...navy aggressor grey hmmmm....I saw somewhere that medium blue was the correct color...Ken, Murph...any suggestions...I'm building Ironmen jet and there are some variations in the appearance of the bluish gray...so I want it as close to blue but not too blue.

I can confirm that FS 36176 dark gray and FS 36251 (Navy) Aggressor Gray are the correct colors for the Mod Eagle scheme.

Cheers,

John

Present day colors are not as standardized as you would think. In addition to variations in paint batches, some can be introduced at the unit level. The old Compass Ghost F-15 scheme used a pre-mixed color for the lighter gray, but the darker one was mixed at the base; that led to inevitable variations, some intentional, some not. I've mentioned before, that the paints for the T-38 gray scheme at Vance AFB came from the local Sherwin-Williams store. I notice a definite difference in the Mod Eagle paints between bases, and the Mod Eagle scheme certainly fades in different ways. In addition, it does not tend to be as blue as it appears in pictures (much like the Mirage 2000C). Here's a picture of a freshly painted 71FS jet:

F-15C81-1036.jpg

If it were me, I would use the standard Mod Eagle colors, which I don't think Gunze covers at all, and I know Tamiya doesn't. I don't like the Model Master versions, but I have been happy with the Xtracrylics ones.

Regards,

Murph

"Navy Aggressor Grey" is the lighter grey - it is a brownish-grey

As Murph mentions, lots of variations in paint, and even how it looks with weathering and lighting. You can see variations here

http://102ndfighterwing.com/gallery/F-15/S...f-15_serial.htm

http://102ndfighterwing.com/gallery/F-15/S...-15c_serial.htm