Xuron Scissor or Shear?

I'm in a quandary..... Has anyone used the FSS-6 Modeler's Scissor from xuron? I'm looking at buying their TK-2100 tool kit which has the 410T high precision shear, 450 tweezernose pliers and the FSS-6 scissors. HERE.

However the scissors look a little too big for delicate PE, surely their 440 PET high precision shear (HERE.) would be better for the teeny weenie PE?

Thanks,

Mike

I'm in a quandary..... Has anyone used the FSS-6 Modeler's Scissor from xuron? I'm looking at buying their TK-2100 tool kit which has the 410T high precision shear, 450 tweezernose pliers and the FSS-6 scissors. HERE.

However the scissors look a little too big for delicate PE, surely their 440 PET high precision shear (HERE.) would be better for the teeny weenie PE?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike I have been using the Xuron 440 for about a year now, and everything I build is very small. I am very happy with that item.

Cheers, Christian

I use both. On a big fret, the scissors are helpful to get some of the fret trimmed away and cutting some larger parts. The shears make more sense for me on the smaller stuff. I've also used shears, gently, to help on small folds.

Rick in Maine

For teeny-weeny p/e, and all p/e, I use narrow, slightly curved cuticle scissors purchased at favorite discount stores. The slight curve enables you to get super close to the p/e fret, eliminating 99.9% to 100% of the bothersome little nub left on the p/e item.

Bails

Thanks guys! I have also been advised to stick with a sharp scalpel and a sheet of glass (which is a lot cheaper! :jaw-dropping:) so I'm going to have to mull this over as xuron snips are expensive over here in the UK....

Thanks for the advice however, it all helps! :rolleyes:

Mike

For teeny-weeny p/e, and all p/e, I use narrow, slightly curved cuticle scissors purchased at favorite discount stores. The slight curve enables you to get super close to the p/e fret, eliminating 99.9% to 100% of the bothersome little nub left on the p/e item.

Bails

Have a pair. Great for small parts.

These.

Thanks guys! I have also been advised to stick with a sharp scalpel and a sheet of glass (which is a lot cheaper! :)) so I'm going to have to mull this over as xuron snips are expensive over here in the UK....

Thanks for the advice however, it all helps! :)

Mike

Hi Mike,

I imagine that the shears/snips will be very useful at times but until they arrive, try using a curved scalpel/knife blade and roll the blade over the PE tree with toughened glass or polished stone (like marble) as a backing.

The hard surface reduces the amount of bending as you cut the PE part off the tree and the rolling motion gives better control and minimises the chance of the tiny metal part pinging off into the ether never to be seen again.....

Remember to cut as close as possible to the part because cleaning up the excess tabs on these tiny etched pieces is difficult at best.

HTH

:lol: