N.E.I. Hawk Biplane Scratch-Build In 1/72 Under Way

• 3 weeks later...
:coolio: Ah, great to see. Looks like another Old Man Flying Machine Corporation airframe on the production line. It's good to see your beautiful work once again Old Man.

:thumbsup:,

Ross.

Thank you, Mr. Blackford!

Here is some further progress on the build, with more at the link in the post above. It will be taking a back-seat to the Morane-Saulnier BB I am doing for the Knights of the Sky G.B., but I will be chipping away at this in odd moments even so over the next couple of week....

IMG_0891.jpg

Brilliant scratchbuild Old Man..I LOVE the subject that you have chosen as I like historical themes.. :wub:

The Hawk Biplane looks really great in your B/W photo... are there any left anywhere in Museums?

HOLMES :worship:

Brilliant scratchbuild Old Man..I LOVE the subject that you have chosen as I like historical themes.. :jaw-dropping:

The Hawk Biplane looks really great in your B/W photo... are there any left anywhere in Museums?

HOLMES :bandhead2:

Thank you, Sir.

So far as I know, there are no survivors of this precise type. Only eighteen were ever built: several were wrecked during service, and only three were still in flying trim by 1937. They served only in the Dutch East Indies, now Indonesia, and it is hard to imagine anything having survived the war years there, even as recognizable scrap.

Excellant work M8, Lovely scratch will keep an eye on this to the end :jaw-dropping: .

Thank you, Sir.

My 'Morane Biplane' for the K.o.t.S.GB will be taking precedence now, but I will be carrying on with this. The next step will putting in the cockpit decking, the fillets for lower wings and horizontal tail-plane, and surface detail on the fuselage.

Thank you, Sir.

So far as I know, there are no survivors of this precise type. Only eighteen were ever built: several were wrecked during service, and only three were still in flying trim by 1937. They served only in the Dutch East Indies, now Indonesia, and it is hard to imagine anything having survived the war years there, even as recognizable scrap.

Old Man,

thank you for that..it is interesting t know that... the photo that you have posted , where was thattaken or stationed...looks American Mid west lookign at the background....

TIA.

HOLMES

Edited by HOLMES
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
:rolleyes: good work Old Man...

{I dont know why but I thought the Dutch East Indies company was mainly based in INDIA AND A lot of wheeling and dealing was done in that Country than Indonesia !}}

The Dutch had a colonial "empire" amidst the Islands between Australia and the Asian Mainland. ""Indies" was a generic term, of course,, based on the albeit-incomplete knowledge Europeans had, since ancient times, that there was an "India." Recall that Columbus blundered into the Americas in a hilariously-misguided attempt to reach the Indias, China, and "the court of the Great Kahn" generally.

These companies were curious proto-....well, proto-precursors of the modern corporation. True, they were joint-stock companies, but it was the later railroads that supplied the models of corporate bureaucracy we understand today. Classic Imperialism, though: In the days of sail, a variety of things could be brought back to Europe and sold, mostly luxury goods for the elite and the remarkable Dutch middle class. Additionally, the Dutch likely looked for colonial markets to sell other stuff, too. By World War II a big deal was, of course, the region's petroleum. Hence the Japanese Pacific War.

My understanding is that by World War II, the locals in the "Dutch East Indies" weren't too thrilled about Dutch rule any longer. Big surprise. Anyway, the Japanese attempted to capitalize on this with anti-European, anti-imperialist propaganda, but as in India, outside of notable exceptions I don't think it earned much allegiance for Japanese occupation, either.

The Dutch had a colonial "empire" amidst the Islands between Australia and the Asian Mainland. ""Indies" was a generic term, of course,, based on the albeit-incomplete knowledge Europeans had, since ancient times, that there was an "India." Recall that Columbus blundered into the Americas in a hilariously-misguided attempt to reach the Indias, China, and "the court of the Great Kahn" generally.

These companies were curious proto-....well, proto-precursors of the modern corporation. True, they were joint-stock companies, but it was the later railroads that supplied the models of corporate bureaucracy we understand today. Classic Imperialism, though: In the days of sail, a variety of things could be brought back to Europe and sold, mostly luxury goods for the elite and the remarkable Dutch middle class. Additionally, the Dutch likely looked for colonial markets to sell other stuff, too. By World War II a big deal was, of course, the region's petroleum. Hence the Japanese Pacific War.

My understanding is that by World War II, the locals in the "Dutch East Indies" weren't too thrilled about Dutch rule any longer. Big surprise. Anyway, the Japanese attempted to capitalize on this with anti-European, anti-imperialist propaganda, but as in India, outside of notable exceptions I don't think it earned much allegiance for Japanese occupation, either.

Excellent summary, Sir!

The Dutch company was the first of these things, and sale of shares in it the origin of stock exchanges. All a very interesting and odd passage of history.

The locals certainly were tired of Dutch rule by the time World War Two began. The Japanese occupation was initially popular, but cruel mis-rule took care of that pretty quickly; probably a million Indonesians died as conscripted laborers in service to Imperial Japan between 1942 and 1945. After the war against Japan concluded, there was a great deal of fighting between Indonesian Nationalists and the Dutch, conducted atrociously on both sides, which has been largely forgotten in the West, even in Holland.