AgustaWestland AW139

The UAE also uses them for civil and military SAR duties... although I beleive they are leased from/though Evergreen(?). I had the chance to have a look around one whilst it was 'royal' transport duties... even got a personal tour around the bird by an ex-Blackhawk crewcheif who is now flying on it!

I have been wanting to build one for ages as well, however as the others have said unfortunatly no manufacturer makes any besides 1:1... :thumbsup:

Tom

unfortunatly no manufacturer makes any besides 1:1... :thumbsup:

Tom

Well that's a lot of plastic, but I'd have a go :blink:

I'm definately keeping my fingers crossed that someone will make one. I'm trying hard not to contemplate scratch building one. Is there any kit that one could use as a basis?

Fingers-crossed someone will produce a 1/72 kit of the AW139 soon. Italeri production of new 1/72 scale kits has slowed after all the good stuff they came up with in the late 1990's. Maybe Revell Germany will release a kit of the AW139 but it's not a helicopter with strong german connections so I'm not hopeful. I don't know what sales of their A109K kit was like but given that it is now deleted for a few years now, maybe that will scare Revell off touching another Agusta helicopter again. More and more operators will purchase the fullsize AW139 though, so sooner or later, a kit will come along. Maybe a smaller manufacturer like AZ Models might tackle it. When you see the number of obscure fixed-wing types that are kitted, surely a helicopter in production now deserves to be released in kit form. I am a little biased when it comes to the AW139 though because the Irish Air Corps operate them.

http://www.irishairpics.com/photo/1030464/...1597a81e54ff9d9

The AW139 is a nice machine but it lacks the charm of the Alouette III!

LD.

Fingers-crossed someone will produce a 1/72 kit of the AW139 soon. Italeri production of new 1/72 scale kits has slowed after all the good stuff they came up with in the late 1990's. Maybe Revell Germany will release a kit of the AW139 but it's not a helicopter with strong german connections so I'm not hopeful. I don't know what sales of their A109K kit was like but given that it is now deleted for a few years now, maybe that will scare Revell off touching another Agusta helicopter again. More and more operators will purchase the fullsize AW139 though, so sooner or later, a kit will come along. Maybe a smaller manufacturer like AZ Models might tackle it. When you see the number of obscure fixed-wing types that are kitted, surely a helicopter in production now deserves to be released in kit form. I am a little biased when it comes to the AW139 though because the Irish Air Corps operate them.

http://www.irishairpics.com/photo/1030464/...1597a81e54ff9d9

The AW139 is a nice machine but it lacks the charm of the Alouette III!

LD.

RoG re-issued their A109K2 earlier this year. They also did two versions a K2 rescue helicopter and a KM military helicopter, so it couldn't have done that badly.

Well, with 450 hours on it from both front seats I am a little biased. First helicopter I can fly almost without touching the controls, faster cruise than anything else (eat your heart Sikorskyans) in its category and range enough to make your fanny sore.

For once I am glad Bell bugged out of the program before they could butcher a perfectly good helicopter.

The situation is different when it comes to modeling, I am surprised RoG even released a 109K. Civilian helicopters, even more so in 1/72 scale are more the realm of resin kit producers, like the MD-900 from Czechmaster. I am not expecting to see one in kit form, perhaps the follow up AW149 (a slightly stretched and more powerful variant) for the military and paramilitary markets shall have better luck.

As a note, AgustaWestland now owners of the Lynx design, have re-designated it the AW159 in its latest incarnation.