Hornet project

Hi I'm new here so I'd would like some input rather than my own. I just bought decals for a 1/48scale C model Hornet of VFA-192 Golden Dragons. Also I bought a Hasegawa 1/48 E Model and decals for VFA-27 Royal Maces. The question I'm having is I bought some of those RBF flags, and got 24. Now I'd like to make both these CAG birds, and be armed. Also I'm going to make a carrier base to put them on. But I can't figure out should one be wings folded and armed and the other be unfolded with no armrament just intake covers and flags, and maybe on a tarmac instead? Because this is going to use up alot of the 24 flags I have.

Also since I plan to do more than 1 on a carrier base I'm trying to figure out a way to make the design stenciled so all I have to do is copy it each time and not start from scratch. I've been building models since I was 8 but I'd just like some other input from pros and ot amatuers like myself.

I don't know if Hasegawa F/A-18 C and E models can have folded wings, does anybody know the answer?

Edited by burner123

I am currently working on the Hase F-18E, in fact it's about 90% finished. As far as the wings go, you do have the option of folding them, however the way you fold them involves some serious cuts to the wings and it looks a bit fiddly to me. As far as the Legacy Hornets go, I have one in the stash but as of yet haven't opened the box. Perhaps someone else can answer about the wings. HTH,

Rick

Folded wings, the E&F can be folded out of the box, but the only Legacy Hornet that came with folded wings was CH39 Chippy Ho, but you can find wing folds from a few aftermarket manufacturers.

Curt

Edited by Netz
Folded wings, the E&F can be folded out of the box, but the only Legacy Hornet that came with folded wings was CH39 Chippy Ho, but you can find wing folds from a few aftermarket manufacturers.

Curt

So the Hasegawa E model can be folded right from the start? Then if the Legacy C model (from Hasegawa)can't be folded you think that'd look better on a tarmac with engine covers and unarmed, a carrier deck with engine covers (I have only seen Hornet with engine covers on when the carrier was in for a port of call), or a carrier deck armed. The main problem here is deciding what config to put the aircrafts into to use the RBF flags. I have never seen a parked Hornet on a carrier deck with extended wings, they always fold them to save space except when on the cat. But I have never seen a Hornet on a tarmac armed with covers on.

How have people done Hornets like this in the past? Is it better not armed but more fancy with covers and flags, or wings folded on deck with flags and armed?

Another thing to take into consideration is that the intakes of the hasegawa legacy hornets are only about 1" long and have no fans or other detail. It just opens into the hallow fuselage. Intake covers or seemless suckers (hard to find) are a must for those concerned with these details.

Another thing to take into consideration is that the intakes of the hasegawa legacy hornets are only about 1" long and have no fans or other detail. It just opens into the hallow fuselage. Intake covers or seemless suckers (hard to find) are a must for those concerned with these details.

I had thought about that, and I saw one review of the Hasegawa kit where the maker just used tape for the covers. And that actually it you do it correctly might work.

If I can get the look of the Legacy Hornet on the cat then the wings can work with the appearance, and the VFA-27 E model could be on deck with flags on it.

But I was looking at this picture (http://s662.photobucket.com/albums/uu344/zark67/?action=view&current=PA260301.jpg) from another post and I'm wondering how can I get the cat track and shuttle in there for a low cost and not spend up to 2 million bucks on small little details? Do you have to purchase the paper or just print it, and whats an easy way to make a shuttle and track with basic parts you have left over without buying them? That looked amazing.

So the Hasegawa E model can be folded right from the start?

As I mentioned the Hase "E/F" model has the folding feature designed in, however, it requires some serious surgery and looked to be a bit fiddly to me. So to answer your question directly, yes the wings can be folded oob. I am not sure how accurate or realistic they'll turn out in the end, but it can be done.

I had thought about that, and I saw one review of the Hasegawa kit where the maker just used tape for the covers. And that actually it you do it correctly might work.

If I can get the look of the Legacy Hornet on the cat then the wings can work with the appearance, and the VFA-27 E model could be on deck with flags on it.

But I was looking at this picture (http://s662.photobucket.com/albums/uu344/zark67/?action=view&current=PA260301.jpg) from another post and I'm wondering how can I get the cat track and shuttle in there for a low cost and not spend up to 2 million bucks on small little details? Do you have to purchase the paper or just print it, and whats an easy way to make a shuttle and track with basic parts you have left over without buying them? That looked amazing.

I have used tape in the past for intake covers for my bug. Recently I used tissue paper with diluted white glue and I like the results much better. It was easier to work with than the tape because bending the tape to go around the curved surfaces leaves a wrinkle or bubble you have to fix. You get the same thing with tissue paper but because it is thinner you don't notice it as much. I painted each method with MM enamels and added decals to the covers with no problems.

This thread has the jet I used to tape method on. I am still working on the jet with the tissue paper method, but I can post pics when get around to I updating that build thread.

Also I have heard of guys using heat shrink tubing for electrical wires to make seemless intakes.

I think the cat you are talking about was scratch built pretty much the entire thing. I don't even think there are any resin kits available in 1/48 to do such a display. I remember seeing an in progress thread somewhere or may an ARC article.

Edited by graves_09
I have used tape in the past for intake covers for my bug. Recently I used tissue paper with diluted white glue and I like the results much better. It was easier to work with than the tape because bending the tape to go around the curved surfaces leaves a wrinkle or bubble you have to fix. You get the same thing with tissue paper but because it is thinner you don't notice it as much. I painted each method with MM enamels and added decals to the covers with no problems.

This thread has the jet I used to tape method on. I am still working on the jet with the tissue paper method, but I can post pics when get around to I updating that build thread.

Also I have heard of guys using heat shrink tubing for electrical wires to make seemless intakes.

I think the cat you are talking about was scratch built pretty much the entire thing. I don't even think there are any resin kits available in 1/48 to do such a display. I remember seeing an in progress thread somewhere or may an ARC article.

Thanks for the link it was very helpful. I have never built a diorama that complex from scratch, but I want to. I''m just wondering how th JBD deck and cat track would look with the first try? Would they look terrible or pretty good?

I am working on a Hasegawa Foxtrot Hornet right now and I folded the wings. It is no biggie, I was really surprised how easy it was. As for the FOD covers. Yes the legacy hornets have short intakes and you can see right inside and it is tragic! I have done 2 Legacy hornets, both turned out great, both drive me nuts because I can see inside. I would do FOD covers on those. One thing to remember is that on a carrier deck the FOD covers are already off. Down below FOD covers are on. On the Tarmac the FOD covers are often on. My Super Hornet right now will have FOD covers on it because I did not attack the intake trunks. The Super Hornet gives you more options for sure.

I am working on a Hasegawa Foxtrot Hornet right now and I folded the wings. It is no biggie, I was really surprised how easy it was. As for the FOD covers. Yes the legacy hornets have short intakes and you can see right inside and it is tragic! I have done 2 Legacy hornets, both turned out great, both drive me nuts because I can see inside. I would do FOD covers on those. One thing to remember is that on a carrier deck the FOD covers are already off. Down below FOD covers are on. On the Tarmac the FOD covers are often on. My Super Hornet right now will have FOD covers on it because I did not attack the intake trunks. The Super Hornet gives you more options for sure.

Hearing that the Hasegawa legacy Hornet won't have turbine blades inside, is making me think more towards doing it with FOD covers on. Then deciding whether to do it on a carrier deck with wings folded up in the hangar bay, or on a tarmac.

With the Hasegawa E Hornet can you change the rudder position, along with the flaps. So it looks like it's set for take off? And how hard is that?

Edited by burner123
With the Hasegawa E Hornet can you change the rudder position, along with the flaps. So it looks like it's set for take off? And how hard is that?

The rudders are separate pieces on the Hase "E/F" kits, however they must be modified if you wish to position them more than a few degrees off center, as they have a tab and slot arrangement. It's not a biggie though. The flaps are another animal altogether, they are either full up or full down. Most (if not all) of the pics I've seen of Super Bugs on the ground, have the flaps in the full down position, although I am not sure that would be the case when launching? Maybe someone more familiar with the F-18E can chime in.

Yeah I think that they are all the way extended before a cat shot. I am very happy with the E, the only major gripe I have with either hornet is that the main flaps have a stupid second piece that kind of fits in the middle. what in the heck? It is kind of a PITA to fill and get to sit flush, but hey I will take that over non-positional flaps any day! I would definitely do FODs on the legacy hornet, the Super Hornet has reasonably good intakes.

Here is what my Hasegawa "F" looks like with the wings folded, and intake and exhaust covers (from Steel Beech). There was a lot of cutting in tight corners to separate the wing tips, and the wing fold "part" seems to be rather fragile when assembling. I had to use LOTS of super glue to make sure it would not come off.

01-8.jpg

As a comparison, here is what the Hobby Boss 1/48 F/A-18C kit can look like with wings folded,intake and exhaust covers. I also dropped the flaps. Separating the folding wings was MUCH easier on this kit. Since this kit is a Hasegawa copy, you should have no problems with folding the wings on the Hasegawa one.

01-9.jpg

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Here is what my Hasegawa "F" looks like with the wings folded, and intake and exhaust covers (from Steel Beech). There was a lot of cutting in tight corners to separate the wing tips, and the wing fold "part" seems to be rather fragile when assembling. I had to use LOTS of super glue to make sure it would not come off.

As a comparison, here is what the Hobby Boss 1/48 F/A-18C kit can look like with wings folded,intake and exhaust covers. I also dropped the flaps. Separating the folding wings was MUCH easier on this kit. Since this kit is a Hasegawa copy, you should have no problems with folding the wings on the Hasegawa one.

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Scott why was the F harder to fold the wings than the Legacy Hornet? Was it not made by hasegawa? And for the E and F Hasegawa models how easy was it to drop the flaps?

Something else to consider about your post, concerning the RBF tags...

If you do a jet sitting on the tarmac at a base, the FOD covers (red gear, we call it) come off at the beginning of the day (for the flight scedule) and go back on at the end of the day. (unless a jet is hard down, then the red gear usually stays on) When the red gear goes on, the jets are usually chained down as well, standard protocall out here in the west is 3 chains.

As for your RBF tags, there arent that many on an unarmed jet. There are 3, 1 for each landing gear, and 1 in each wingfold. Then there are something like 3 more in the cockpit, but those are much smaller than the tags used on the main mounts. Buying tags in 1/72 for a 1/48 kit helps too... They will pin the tail hook as well.

Also, over time, tags fray and get thin. What happens, is right before the aircraft is fired up for a launch, the Plane Captain pulls all the pins, bundles them up, and then wraps the flags around them all, so he can show the pin heads to the pilot and he can count them. Being wrapped up, it keeps all the pins together when they are stowed in their bag, in flight. (kinda like a large hand grenade) So the continual wrapping/unwrapping, flailing in the breeze, etc..., RBF tags dont stay nice and neat for long.

Lastly, aircraft are not loaded "hot" on the regular ramp. They are taken to a special area where the live stuff is loaded, and can sit there all day/night until they are flown. Aircraft on the squadrons line are allowed to be loaded with inert ordnance, but the AO's never load anything until all the red gear is off and the dailys are done, to make sure the jet is "up"

Something else to consider about your post, concerning the RBF tags...

If you do a jet sitting on the tarmac at a base, the FOD covers (red gear, we call it) come off at the beginning of the day (for the flight scedule) and go back on at the end of the day. (unless a jet is hard down, then the red gear usually stays on) When the red gear goes on, the jets are usually chained down as well, standard protocall out here in the west is 3 chains.

As for your RBF tags, there arent that many on an unarmed jet. There are 3, 1 for each landing gear, and 1 in each wingfold. Then there are something like 3 more in the cockpit, but those are much smaller than the tags used on the main mounts. Buying tags in 1/72 for a 1/48 kit helps too... They will pin the tail hook as well.

Also, over time, tags fray and get thin. What happens, is right before the aircraft is fired up for a launch, the Plane Captain pulls all the pins, bundles them up, and then wraps the flags around them all, so he can show the pin heads to the pilot and he can count them. Being wrapped up, it keeps all the pins together when they are stowed in their bag, in flight. (kinda like a large hand grenade) So the continual wrapping/unwrapping, flailing in the breeze, etc..., RBF tags dont stay nice and neat for long.

Lastly, aircraft are not loaded "hot" on the regular ramp. They are taken to a special area where the live stuff is loaded, and can sit there all day/night until they are flown. Aircraft on the squadrons line are allowed to be loaded with inert ordnance, but the AO's never load anything until all the red gear is off and the dailys are done, to make sure the jet is "up"

THanks for the info Spook, Are you in the Navy? If so what do you do? I come from a Navy family.

I work on the flightline at NAS Lemoore.

God Bless you and thank you for your service.

One more thing though, I making a carrier deck diorama and am making it of Cat 3 with this E model Hornet. The question I have is on Cats 3 and 4 you don't have tractors or fire tractors in between do you? They are mainly during flight ops around the superstructure. And is it just a yellow shirt in between the 2 cats or are there also green red white other yellow etc shirts there to? Or are they on the starboard side of cat 3?

God Bless you and thank you for your service.

One more thing though, I making a carrier deck diorama and am making it of Cat 3 with this E model Hornet. The question I have is on Cats 3 and 4 you don't have tractors or fire tractors in between do you? They are mainly during flight ops around the superstructure. And is it just a yellow shirt in between the 2 cats or are there also green red white other yellow etc shirts there to? Or are they on the starboard side of cat 3?

No tractors between cat 3 and 4, not enough room. Normally the Yellow Shirt will be standing to the right side (side closest to the island) of the shot line after he has turned the plane over to the shooter. Between the cats you would have at least one white shirt finalchecker for each cat, two red shirt ordnanceman and (if you are doing the old fashion deck launching, i.e. without the bubble) two green shirts, one would be the weight board guy, the other setting the wieght for the cat. You would also have the shooter (cat officer) and another green shirt (hook up man). This is if both cats are shooting, if only one is shooting them they would step across the shot line and just wait for the plane to launch. This excludes the finalcheckers, they will be kneeling by the tail of the bird giving the thumbs up signaling that the bird is ready for launch.

HTH

Reddog :whistle:

No tractors between cat 3 and 4, not enough room. Normally the Yellow Shirt will be standing to the right side (side closest to the island) of the shot line after he has turned the plane over to the shooter. Between the cats you would have at least one white shirt finalchecker for each cat, two red shirt ordnanceman and (if you are doing the old fashion deck launching, i.e. without the bubble) two green shirts, one would be the weight board guy, the other setting the wieght for the cat. You would also have the shooter (cat officer) and another green shirt (hook up man). This is if both cats are shooting, if only one is shooting them they would step across the shot line and just wait for the plane to launch. This excludes the finalcheckers, they will be kneeling by the tail of the bird giving the thumbs up signaling that the bird is ready for launch.

HTH

Reddog :whistle:

Thanks for the help, this clears things up alot.