Need C-5 1/144 decals (white / gray)

I got a good deal on a built up 1/144 C-5 on eBay. I want to re-build it in the old white / gray scheme. I'm looking for decals from either the Testors or Revell issue of the kit. I've got the Draw Decals for the all gray newer scheme - but that's for another project. I've already got the old Entex decals for the gray / white scheme - but they're not that great. If you're willing to part with them, I'd be happy to pay for them. Thanks!

Hitch

GEH737@gmail.com

This is something I would like to see Jennings or someone of similar talents attempt. Unfortunately, the old Otaki/Entex markings are, to the best of my knowledge, not quite accurate. I have one of the old Otaki boxings, and it suffers from a similar problem as yours. A friend with the Yodel boxing had the same issue. While I'm not sure how good the Euro 1 markings are (in the Revell kit), I think it's due time for a set of Galaxy markings in 1:144, even if it is for a somewhat small market.

Edited by MiG31
Until that kit is reissued or a new one comes out, I don't see any decal company doing decals for such a hard to find kit.

Ken

You're right - and that's why I'm hoping someone has some decals from one of the old Testors or Revell releases that they're willing to let go of... It'd still be nice to see Draw Decals do 'em - there's still gotta be a lot of the old kits out there that could use them.

Hitch

You're right - and that's why I'm hoping someone has some decals from one of the old Testors or Revell releases that they're willing to let go of... It'd still be nice to see Draw Decals do 'em - there's still gotta be a lot of the old kits out there that could use them.

Hitch

Try this guy:

Steve Evans

Skymodels Australia

skydecals@bigpond.com

I have a set of 60th AMW from Travis AFB low-viz decals from him and they are very well done.

Also, try e-bay.

AFAIK the last time it was out was in the 1980s in the end-opening yellow Testors box. There are currently a couple of folks looking for the tools for it. If they can be located and a deal struck, it's possible you may see it reissued (and not as a C-5M, before you ask).

J

A friend of mine has the 1984 Revell boxing, with a top-opening box. It's the Euro-1 color scheme (and, having looked at the decal sheet, it's pretty spartan).

Despite the kit's status, what about creating a pre-order list of people who pledge to purchase a decal set should it be released? I personally would like to see one that addresses the two main pre-gray color schemes (mainly because I'm still up in the air between the two, but don't want to do the all-gray version).

Despite the kit's status, what about creating a pre-order list of people who pledge to purchase a decal set should it be released?

Because:

a.) I don't have time or facility to sit on a bunch of pre-orders

b.) I don't want to do a bunch of work for nothing

c.) there is absolutely no guarantee anyone will find and/or reissue the kit

If and when the kit comes out, I'll do it, but surely not before.

J

AFAIK the last time it was out was in the 1980s in the end-opening yellow Testors box. There are currently a couple of folks looking for the tools for it. If they can be located and a deal struck, it's possible you may see it reissued (and not as a C-5M, before you ask).

I thought I remembered seeing it in that box (at 'The Hobby Shop' in Blacksburg VA no less) in the late 80's but I wasn't sure if that was the last release or not.

Hopefully they'll find the tools for it, there have been several tools found recently that were thought lost a long time ago, maybe this one is in the same boat.

Ken

I've seen the low-vis decal set, but unfortunately it's not the scheme I want.

Because:

a.) I don't have time or facility to sit on a bunch of pre-orders

b.) I don't want to do a bunch of work for nothing

c.) there is absolutely no guarantee anyone will find and/or reissue the kit

And none of those reasons have stopped Draw Decal from issuing the current sets. My suggestion is open to everyone who offers such services.

Edited by MiG31
And none of those reasons have stopped Draw Decal from issuing the current sets. My suggestion is open to everyone who offers such services.

Something that should be pointed out is that Draw Decal prints their sheets via the "Digital Silk" process, which is similar to what the old ALPS printers used, this means Draw can print sheets to order, they don't have to finance a 250-500 sheet print run like you do with screen printed sheets.

I don't think you're going to see a mainstream producer do a sheet for a kit that's been OOP for nearly 25 years, and may or may not still exist.

Ken

J

OMg....I'm already gettin goose bumps. We can only hope....

I am a little curious as to why Draw Decals would be willing to do them for the newer all gray scheme, but would pass on the older scheme??? They'd all be for the same kit - it seems like it would be a natural option.

Hitch

I am a little curious as to why Draw Decals would be willing to do them for the newer all gray scheme, but would pass on the older scheme??? They'd all be for the same kit - it seems like it would be a natural option.

Probably because the all gray scheme is the current one.

Ken

Probably because the all gray scheme is the current one.

Ken

I appreciate that Ken - but as Jennings said - it's an old kit, and if Draw was willing to do them in the current gray, I'm guessing that there are many who see the older scheme as more colorful / nostalgic, and would like that option as well.

It's just my opinion - but the more "all gray" schemes that come along, the more I'm drawn to the older more colorful schemes. I really liked Jennings "what-if" for the old MAC gray / white on the C-17 - and would pick up a set from Draw if they did them.

Hitch

I appreciate that Ken - but as Jennings said - it's an old kit, and if Draw was willing to do them in the current gray, I'm guessing that there are many who see the older scheme as more colorful / nostalgic, and would like that option as well.

It's just my opinion - but the more "all gray" schemes that come along, the more I'm drawn to the older more colorful schemes. I really liked Jennings "what-if" for the old MAC gray / white on the C-17 - and would pick up a set from Draw if they did them.

Hitch

Hey....I second that!! I'd definitely do a gray/white C-5 scheme in a heartbeat. And...if ANYONE did a jamin decal set for the gray/white scheme, I'd be all over it.

Now if I could just find a dang reasonable C-5!! Aghhhgg. It really is annoying you know. I'm thinking that if we make enough noise on ARC, then one of the model makers will take notice.

How long did we b---h about a C-17 before RoG took notice??.....hmmmm....

Paul

Maybe they've had more requests from people to do the all gray scheme vs. the old MAC scheme, maybe it was easier to draw, or cheaper to print, there are probably a lot of other reasons why they haven't done the old MAC scheme yet.

Ken

• 2 years later...

As the desinger of those C-5 decals for DRAW Decal, I might be able to answer the questions about how they came to be. At the time I drew the art, the Otaki/Yodel/Revell/Testors kit was the only mainstream game in town. Anigrand had not announced or even hinted at thinking about doing a Galaxy kit. I designed the sets out of purely selfish intentions. I have a soft spot for the various aircraft that have worn Memphis Belle nose art. My home state TN ANG unit in Memphis had recently transitioned to the C-5, and had painted Belle X nose art on one of the jets. So, I decided to fill a gap in the Belle nose art world, and release a set for a home state Guard unit at the same time. Since I had done the hard work in setting up the basic elements, drawing the additional tailbands wasn't that difficult. I know there are some noteable omissions (like not doing the various NY ANG nose arts), but the basics of the current fleet of Galaxies is now represented. (We have updated the art to include the white Blade Runner-esque final tailband at Wright-Patt, if anyone was looking for it) Greg (owner/operator of DRAW Decal) was less than enthused that I had done multiple decal sets for a kit that hadn't been released in over 20 years. However, as pointed out in this thread, DRAW Decal can essentially print to order, so he wasn't going to be stuck with a lot of inventory that neither one of us imagined would sell more than a couple copies. Sales turned out to FAR exceed all expectations, with a shocking number of those being for 1/72 versions of the decals...

I had every intention of eventually doing the original MAC Gray/White scheme, but I honestly just let it fall into the cracks with the other stuff I have done in the intervening years. One of the things that had been a hang up was finding good images of some of the stencils on the aircraft, and most importantly, the various unit shields that were worn on the lower vertical stabilizer. I've found most of the major stencils, and a couple of the unit shields, but I am still missing a few. If anyone has good references for those shields, I would be most appreciative (and might be able to get the art completed in short order)

Regards,

Mike Egan

• 4 months later...