Super Hornet Combat Loadouts

Im building two F/A-18E's from VFA-14 and want to hear some options about loadouts used in Iraq of Afghanistan. Right now Im not sure if VFA-14 was in Afghanistan but they were in Iraq. Any info is helpful. I have a few options but want to find the best one!!

Wont that tank on the starboard side make the aircraft lean? I mean you could trim but then as fuel was consumed youd have to trim back!? Also, I like the tanking hornet but cant find a buddy pod in 1/72...... :thumbsup:

Also, does anyone have a closeup of those leaflet mk20's? Way cool!!!

Edited by modelman11
Wont that tank on the starboard side make the aircraft lean? I mean you could trim but then as fuel was consumed youd have to trim back!? Also, I like the tanking hornet but cant find a buddy pod in 1/72...... <_<

Also, does anyone have a closeup of those leaflet mk20's? Way cool!!!

Which image are you referring to? All the loadouts looks pretty symmetrical to me. I have seen pictures with asymmetrical loadouts, often if there is a fuel tank on one side there is a large LGB on the opposite side. I'd imagine that by time the fuel is consumed the bomb would have been expended. Either way I would think the aircraft can be made to automatically compensate for any imbalance that may arise.

Chris

Edited by ChristopherC

Well I guess those are standard MK-20 ROCKEYE ModelMan, sorry to get your hopes up. Guess my tired eyes missed the big "X" they paint on the sides of leaflet dispensers and I don't see a blue band (meaning a non-explosive fill). I never dropped leaflet bombs, just ROCKEY with the fuzes in the pic (FMU-140) and the older MK-339.

Cheers

ATIS

Well I guess those are standard MK-20 ROCKEYE ModelMan, sorry to get your hopes up. Guess my tired eyes missed the big "X" they paint on the sides of leaflet dispensers and I don't see a blue band (meaning a non-explosive fill). I never dropped leaflet bombs, just ROCKEY with the fuzes in the pic (FMU-140) and the older MK-339.

Cheers

ATIS

Hey I think its still super cool!! Any more photos of odd job munitions in combat? usually its just gbu-12/38 and agm-65. Anyone seen GBU-16's? I think they droped some JSOW's early on as well???

Hey I think its still super cool!! Any more photos of odd job munitions in combat? usually its just gbu-12/38 and agm-65. Anyone seen GBU-16's? I think they droped some JSOW's early on as well???

VFA-115 used a load of GBU-16 on station 3 (left midboard pylon) with empty stations 2 and 4, with MK-82/BSU-86 bombs on CVERs on stations 8 and 9 (right inboard and midboard) with station 10 empty, AIM-9M on the wingtip(s) and an AIM-120 on station 7 (right intake), centerline gas bag, and TFLIR (not ATFLIR normally) on the right intake station in 2002/2003 over Afghanistan. For OIF in 2003, they added an AIM-120 on station 2, took the AIM-120 off the right intake, and replaced the MK-82s with MK-83/BSU-85 on CVER on station 8 and a parent-rack MK-83/BSU-85 on station 9. Station 10 had an empty LAU-127 rail installed. This was before GBU-12 and GBU-38 were cleared for use on the SH.

No one makes a MK-82/BSU-86 in any scale that I'm aware of, but the MK-83/BSU-85 is included in the original issue Revell FA-18E and the Revell FA-18F kits.

That was a April/May 2003 SSC load-out. Only 1 tank and the 0x2x1 A2A load. Money says it had an AAS-38 on the other side since ATFLIR was in really short supply then.

HTH

Spongebob

Was that one of the jets that cross-decked to the Lincoln to fly with VFA-115? Concur with the AAS-38 TFLIR; Between VFA-115, 14 and 41 I think the total number of available ATFLIRs was still in the single digits at the time but I'm not positive on that.

That's what you get for defecting to "inside the beltwayland"...

Honestly...it's better than a slow death in Southern Maryland....heck... I go to so many program office meetings now for Tomahawk, I'm in Pax 2-3 times a month anyway. In fact...I will stop by your door on Thursday afternoon and yell at you just for the fun of it (I have a meeting down the hall).

ATIS

http://www.cusnc.navy.mil/photos/2007/hi/0...N-5484G-195.jpg

That's the first time I've ever seen a CVER with both a GBU-12 and GBU-38 on at the same time. Any particular reason they would do this instead of doing two GBU-12's on one side and two GBU-38's on the other? I'm assuming (hopefully correctly) that CVER's are pretty common now-a-days, as the VER can carry the GBU-12, but not the GBU-38? By this, I mean that if it was still in short supply, they would be carrying one CVER and one VER, correct?

Aaron

http://www.cusnc.navy.mil/photos/2007/hi/0...N-5484G-195.jpg

That's the first time I've ever seen a CVER with both a GBU-12 and GBU-38 on at the same time. Any particular reason they would do this instead of doing two GBU-12's on one side and two GBU-38's on the other? I'm assuming (hopefully correctly) that CVER's are pretty common now-a-days, as the VER can carry the GBU-12, but not the GBU-38? By this, I mean that if it was still in short supply, they would be carrying one CVER and one VER, correct?

Aaron

They are not on a CVER, they are on parent racks, the angle of the photo makes it look like they are close together. Combining weapons on a CVER is a no-no.

Also, mixing of CVER and VER's is a no no, besides, the E/F is not cleared for VER's.

As for VER's, you would have a better chance of hitting the lottery then finding a VER nowadays.

Reddog :salute:

Was that one of the jets that cross-decked to the Lincoln to fly with VFA-115? Concur with the AAS-38 TFLIR; Between VFA-115, 14 and 41 I think the total number of available ATFLIRs was still in the single digits at the time but I'm not positive on that.

No, one of the leave behinds. All of the E's that went to Lincoln were set up as 5-wet tankers. For the ATFLIR, I think we had 4 when we got there and collected more as the deployment went on. -41 had all the ATFLIRs until late in the cruise when we finally got enough to go around.

For interesting loads, VFA-14 did a strike on a weapons storage facility; GBU-35's on the inboard and mid parent racks (4 total), bag on the center and 0x2x2. One of few pre-planned strikes that CVW-11 did in OIF.

, the E/F is not cleared for VER's.

Reddog :pray:

Although I know for a fact that at least one flight was conducted dropping MK-83/BSU-85 from BRU-33/A VERs a couple years ago. How that one got past the load crews, QA, the ordnance techs and test engineers and the aircrew is a mystery to me...

No, it wasn't my test...but the powers-that-be weren't happy that 1. an unauthorized load was actually hung on the jet, and 2. a flight was conducted and ordnance dropped without a flight clearance!

No, one of the leave behinds. All of the E's that went to Lincoln were set up as 5-wet tankers. For the ATFLIR, I think we had 4 when we got there and collected more as the deployment went on. -41 had all the ATFLIRs until late in the cruise when we finally got enough to go around.

For interesting loads, VFA-14 did a strike on a weapons storage facility; GBU-35's on the inboard and mid parent racks (4 total), bag on the center and 0x2x2. One of few pre-planned strikes that CVW-11 did in OIF.

GBU-35? Not 31? I didn't think 1000lb JDAM was cleared on the E/F at that time?

Looks like no paper plates for Spongebob at the December meeting. Come on dude... everyone knows E/F's aren't cleared for the GBU-35, just like my leaflet CBU's carried FMU-140's. Come join me in the corner where they put the guys who make mistakes.

ATIS