Martin B-57B Canberra

Hey all,

For this GB, I'm gonna start with the 1/72 Italeri B-57B. It's a very nice kit, a bit old maybe, and has raised panellines, but still very nice.

It will be painted in the all gloss black scheme used in the 1950's by the 38th TBW, based at Laon AB in Northern France, before De Gaulle decided to kick them out of France. It will look a bit like this, only the rudder will be yellow, and it will have a stylised eagle with a white cloud on the droptanks.

The kit:

As I said, I will use the Italeri kit, looking like this:

P1013871.jpg

Italeri gives you 3 options: The black version based at Laon in 1958, a NMF version based at Bien Hoa in Vietnam in 1965, and one in SEA camouflage based at Phan Rang in Vietnam in 1968.

What you get in the kit are 2 light grey sprues, and one clear, with little flash:

P1013872.jpg

So that's the kit. Building starts in the next post.

Edited by Pete

So, I started building, but due to the simplicity of the kit, this went much faster than anticipated, so I don't really have much WIP pics.

Basically, I have painted the cockpit, put it in the fuselage, along with the nosewheel bay, glued some pieces of lead in it, and closed the fuselage. Also, the wings were glued together, with the pieces where the guns are situated in place. And the fueltanks are glued together. Now it's time to sand the whole thing, where needed, and glue the major parts together. After that it's just about ready for paint.

Cockpit:

P1033880.jpg

The whole thing:

P1033879.jpg

I will try to shoot some more pics during the build.

And this is how it looks a day later:

P1043888.jpg

Most parts are on, except for the engine intakes and the main canopy. The wheelbays are painted green, the rudder is painted yellow. Time for masking, and then the paintjob.

Today it was airbrushing time. For the black, I use Revell acrylic gloss black, thinned 50/50 with water. I find this paint very easy to use, doesn't smell at all, and dries fast.

So far I have done the underside only. I discovered a few scratches that will need sanding, but no massive errors.

P1053894.jpg

I might spray the upper side later today.

It's done!

I'm fairly happy with it, but some things could have been better. Like more noseweight. I stuffed a lot of lead in the nose, but it still wasn't enough, hence the little transparent support under the tail. I might glue the model to a base one day, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Anyway, here's a pic. I'll post some more in the completed builds thread later.

P1143938.jpg

Now I can finally start my next build :monkeydance: , a NMF F-100.

• 2 weeks later...