My home-made "brush soaker"

Came up with this "brain-dead simple" and extremely cheap solution for brush cleaning the other day. Problem has always been, how to soak brushes for cleaning/reconditioning without distorting the shape of the head. There are commercial products for this, but many are quite expensive and more complicated than they really need to be. I punched small holes in the top of the lid of one of those cheap plastic food storage containers, pushed the brush handles through the bottom, filled the container with warm soapy water, put the lid on, and soaked. Result; nice clean, very soft brushes as good as new.

Brushsoaker2.jpg

Brushsoaker1.jpg

Brushsoaker3.jpg

Brushsoaker4.jpg

Hope this helps

cheers

Old Blind Dog

OMG that is so unbelievably simple it is pathetic!!!

Just as a add on I guess to your simple idea. On your next trip to say McDonalds, BK, KFC etc, don't throw your cup away, keep your cup lid and grab a couple more. They are usually free anyway and use them in the same way.

Another cheap and cheerful solution eh!!!

Regards

Andrew

Good idea. I just put mine in the ultrasonic cleaner. :crying2:

:)

What solution you use for yours Mike?

I had seen a few of the cheap ultrasonics at a closeout store and never thought of that...

William G

I too use an ultrasonic cleaner, but usually not for brush cleaning. I say pick one up!!! They are well worth it. I clean watches, glasses, retainers, airbrushes, old paint jars, and paint mixing cups in mine. For modeling applications, I use Simple Green. Be careful though, I've stripped some of the metal plating off my airbrush due to prolonged exposure to Simple Green!

:monkeydance:

What solution you use for yours Mike?

I had seen a few of the cheap ultrasonics at a closeout store and never thought of that...

William G

Water and some Windex along with a little Simple Green cleaner works well.

Now if you use enamels you need to clean the brushes in a solution and then you can put them in the ultrasonic cleaner but don't put flammable substances in the ultrasonic cleaners.

I am sure you already know that but I just thought I would throw that out there for those who don't know that. :salute:

Buddy... form the looks of thoses brushes... you could stop cleaning them and buy a few new ones. :thumbsup:

My brushes may be well used, but the bristles are kept clean, and continue to give me excellent service. Some might refer to them as having "character," like many old but reliable tools.

cheers

Old Blind Dog