1/72 SR-71 decal

Received mine from Mr.Hashimoto by Rocketeer Decal today.

The quality is top notch!

Homepage:

http://www.rocketeer.jp/index.html

English version:

http://www.rocketeer.jp/eng/index.html

Now I can start the built and forget the expensive long OOP cutting edge one.

P2250958.jpg

P2250959.jpg

P2250960.jpg

P2250961.jpg

P2250962.jpg

P2250963.jpg

Mr.Hashimoto is also a big fan of Russian birds.

On Scale Aviation March issue,you can find more of his incredible works.

P2170946.jpg

P2170950.jpg

P2170951.jpg

P2170953.jpg

Just FYI.

Cheers,

Yufei

I think it's for the recent release of hasegawa 1:72 SR-71.. which I want to ask... is it the best kit for the SR-71?

Opinions differ - all three kits (Monogram, Italeri and Hasegawa - the Academy is a Hase knockoff, I think) have their strengths and weaknesses.

For the "ICHI BAN" SR-71, is it black or gray? (I haven't seen a gray blackbird...)

Nope, it's the standard black. The grey is just there to better show the decal positions, methinks.

Cheers,

Andre

Techically these markings could work on any of the 1/72 jets. Monogram probably has the best in overall shape, although Hasegawa's seems to build the easiest IMHO.

As for color, all Blackbirds are technically black unless they were A-12s in the original titanium coloring from the early testing days. The only jet on display in that coloring is an M-12 mothership (from the D-21 drone tests) on display at the Seattle Museum of Flight.

Blackbird black is a little off color though, so straight flat black is too dark. The color I used last time for a Blackbird was Floquil Grimy Black (available in their RR color line) as it is a very dark dark blue/gray black shade. Other possible candidates include Aircraft Interior Black from Testors Model Master and Tamiya Nato Black. I matched my color to a real SR-71 on display at the SAC Museum near Ashland, NE. There can be panel coloring variations though, depending on the specific jet and the specific sensor nose mounted for a specific flight.

Here were my results:

After the initial basecoat (compared to a black plastic Blackbird in 1/144 scale). The spotlights of my workbench do brighten the color a bit, but you get the idea.

painted71-1.jpg

And the finished model after decal and clearcoating.

fin71-1.jpg

fin71-4.jpg

Edited by Jay Chladek
Techically these markings could work on any of the 1/72 jets.

I agree.

As for color, all Blackbirds are technically black unless they were A-12s in the original titanium coloring from the early testing days. The only jet on display in that coloring is an M-12 mothership (from the D-21 drone tests) on display at the Seattle Museum of Flight.

The trainer model of the A-12, tail number 06927 is on display at the Los Angeles Science Museum in it's original NMF with black trim. The black trim is similar to 06940 in Seattle, but distinctly different.

Blackbird black is a little off color though, so straight flat black is too dark. The color I used last time for a Blackbird was Floquil Grimy Black (available in their RR color line) as it is a very dark dark blue/gray black shade. Other possible candidates include Aircraft Interior Black from Testors Model Master and Tamiya Nato Black.

I agree. Straight flat black is a little too dark for anything except a freshly painted airframe

And the finished model after decal and clearcoating.

fin71-1.jpg

Excellent work

Darwin