What the Italeri kit represents is what's called a F/A-18( R ). This was a single-seat reconnaissance Hornet version concept proposed by McDonnell Douglas. For this they modified an early F/A-18A (Block 4 BuNo 161214) in 1984, but it did not enter production.

Current recce Hornets are the ATARS-equipped F/A-18D's of the USMC, very different animals. Wolfpak is to come out with a resin ATARS conversion for the Academy 1/72nd Delta.

HTH,

Andre

Edited by Andre
What the Italeri kit represents is what's called a F/A-18( R ). This was a single-seat reconnaissance Hornet version concept proposed by McDonnell Douglas. For this they modified an early F/A-18A (Block 4 BuNo 161214) in 1984, but it did not enter production.

Current recce Hornets are the ATARS-equipped F/A-18D's of the USMC, very different animals. Wolfpak is to come out with a resin ATARS conversion for the Academy 1/72nd Delta.

HTH,

Andre

Thanks again Andre :D

Anyone know if there is a similar conversion set for 1/48?

The Italeri Hornet kit #827 has the parts in 1/48. It has the clear part for the windows and a modified front gear door. If you remove the gun nozzle and use those parts with a Delta Hornet, I think you're all set. The kit itself is not good, but it does have those pieces. I'm not using mine if youre interested in it.....

Does anyone make 1/72 decals for the Moonlighters VMFA(AW)-332

I recall the 1/72 Academy kit had the hi-viz ones but I don't know if anyone made the lo-viz ones for the ATARS bird

as far as I can determine there were/are only 5 or 6 ATARS birds ? - and none were CO aircraft (all low viz) ?

Any D model Hornet can be made into an ATARS aircraft as it is a palletised conversion which replaced the gun.

VMFA(AW)-224 have a tiger striped ATARS bird.

.....Am I reading your post correctly and the ATARS system is readaly transferable between aircraft ?

Or do you meen its a perminant, staight replacment, convertion ?

Any D model Hornet can be made into an ATARS aircraft as it is a palletised conversion which replaced the gun.

VMFA(AW)-224 have a tiger striped ATARS bird.

.....Am I reading your post correctly and the ATARS system is readaly transferable between aircraft ? (like the U-2R)

.....Am I reading your post correctly and the ATARS system is readaly transferable between aircraft ? (like the U-2R)

Option #2. The ATARS pack can be installed on any post-Lot 14 F/A-18D in service with the USMC, and replaced by the standard nose with gun again.

As there is a lot of work concerned, I'm not sure if and how often it happens in real life, but technically it is possible.

HTH,

Andre

Option #2. The ATARS pack can be installed on any post-Lot 14 F/A-18D in service with the USMC, and replaced by the standard nose with gun again.

As there is a lot of work concerned, I'm not sure if and how often it happens in real life, but technically it is possible.

-cool !

and thanks