P-51D 110 gallon drop tanks - available in any scale?

P-51D Mustangs serving from Iwo Jima in 1945 used special 110 gallon drop tanks that I have not seen used in Europe. I know that some Mustangs and Thunderbolts in the Pacific also used P-38 type 150 gallon tanks. That's not what I am looking for here. To do an Iwo Jima Mustang, you really need the 110 gallon tanks.

Are these larger 110 gallon tanks available in any Mustangs kits in any scale? Any aftermarket tanks? An Iwo Jima Mustang really needs them.

Clicky

Clicky

They look like the tanks carried by Pacific Corsairs. Not absolutely sure but, the belly tank supplied by Hasegawa for their 72nd scale Corsair looks to be the same shape and relative size!

Alvin5182

Good question Ham.

I've never seen the 110 gal. drop tanks offered by anyone.

Most manufacturers offer the classic 75 gal. and the paper 108 gal. tanks.

I think they get them mixed up, the 108 gal. tanks are often called 110 gal. by mistake.

While it is possible to score some P-47 tanks which were also used on Iwo Jima Mustangs, I really hope a manufacturer reads this and decides to make the 110 gal. tanks cause we need them.

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the link, David. That Verlinden set appears to have four 75 gallon steel tanks, four paper cylindrical tanks as used in Europe, two P-38 type tanks that were sometimes used on Pacific theater Mustangs and Thunderbolts, and two "Misawa" tanks of the type used during the Korean war and 1950's. From what I can see, no 110 gallon tanks of the type used by Iwo Jima Mustangs.

Here's a direct link to the Verlinden online store. No explanation of what the set includes though.

Clicky

I found a couple more photos showing Mustangs carrying some of these different tanks. Here is a postwar Mustang carrying the Misawa tanks. At least I think they are the Misawa tanks.

Clicky

Here is an Iwo Mustang with the P-38 style tanks.

Clicky

A close up shot of a 110 gallon tank being hung on a Mustang. Note that extra bracing is required.

Clicky

Edited by Ham

I agree Ham.

It doesn't look like the 110 gal. tanks are included in this set.

Too bad, they got pretty much everything else.

I wonder if the somewhat similar look of the 75 and 110 gal. tanks has led manufacturers to believe they have already produced it.

• 9 months later...
I hope they do them in 48th too. I've got tons of pics of 12th AF P-47s carrying these full o' napalm!

These tanks are included in the old Monogram 1/48 F-80C kit. Not sure if that model is boxed now.

These tanks are included in the old Monogram 1/48 F-80C kit. Not sure if that model is boxed now.

The teardrop-shaped tanks? I know the Lockheed tanks (P-38 style) are included, but I've never seen the 110 gallon types in 48th.

"Flak Happy" from the 345th FS will be profiled in my book and will have the 110 gallon tanks included. You can see here, she's got a 75 gallon on the centerline and two 110 gallon napalm tanks under the wings.

Flakhappy345th001.jpg

Edited by Cobrahistorian