Tuscon - things to do?

Hi,

I am going to Tucson with my wife July 6-9 and will be visiting some family. I expect to have some time (and she is already agreed to Pima Museum and AMARG tour :rofl::rofl: ) to look around. Any things that we should do? Any really good hobby shops? Thanks for the ideas!

Regards,

John

The best thing to do in Tucson in July is plan you exit strategy.

Extra hot, yea, I know, but only time of year I could get off. We are taking our kids to Gramma's house in Palmdale, CA, then we are driving to Tucson to get away for a few days, since our Anniversary is the 6th. Then back to CA for another week, then home. Leaving the kids in CA for an additional 2 weeks.

I get a quiet house! (2 teenage daughters)

Mount Lemmon - cooler air away from the heat. Great place to relax and take your family. I used to live there in Tucson (ages ago) but with global warming I'm not sure how cool it is now.

HTH,

Dave

Mount Lemmon - cooler air away from the heat. Great place to relax and take your family. I used to live there in Tucson (ages ago) but with global warming I'm not sure how cool it is now.

HTH,

Dave

didn't you hear, it wasn't the planet that has a "fever" just al gore around masseuses... ;)

Titan Missle Museum, south of Tucson. Take I-19 south to exit 69, then west about 2 miles. Very interestng,or maybe chilling is more appropriate term. Makes you realise just how serious this thing we vaguely remember as the "Cold War" really was.

Not aircraft related in any way, but - go have a steak at Pinnacle Peak.

Remember to wear a tie.

Make it your gaudiest, most absurd ridiculous tie, but wear a tie.

You'll thank me later.

-Kevin in Indy

Not aircraft related in any way, but - go have a steak at Pinnacle Peak.

Remember to wear a tie.

Make it your gaudiest, most absurd ridiculous tie, but wear a tie.

You'll thank me later.

-Kevin in Indy

I second what Kevin said :P But don't forget the tie!I didn't!

Lil' Abners is also decent place for steaks and the fixins,just a bit out of the way though.

Mt. Lemmon is a good place also,take a light jacket though,it will get chilly(at least it did the times I went up).

Tucson isn't that bad, it gets warm but its not like Phoenix. It does get humid in July due to the monsoons, but they also cool things down in the late afternoon. It's been a few years since I've been to Tucson, but I like the area, there is alot to do, particularly if you are into western history.

If the monsoons are going well (which they typically are in July) you can be treated to some spectacular lightning storms in the late afternoon / evening. Just find a good view point and enjoy.

In Benson, AZ (45 min to an hour south of Tucson) you have Kartchner Caverns. It is a short distance off the 10 so an easy drive.

http://azstateparks.com/Parks/KACA/index.html

Tombstone and Bisbee are also within two hours of Tucson, so can easily be a day trip if you are into old west history. Bisbee also has some mining museums (its an old mining town) and a huge open pit copper mine right in the middle of town. Both are touristy but still make for a nice day.

Tucson also has a nice desert museum if you are into critters

http://www.desertmuseum.org/

The Old Tucson studios is a popular tourist attraction, although I've never been there, so don't know if its worthwhile.

http://www.oldtucson.com/

Just north of Tucson you have Picacho Peak which was the site of the westernmost battle of the American Civil War. I never made it there either, so not sure what all there is too do other than hike around, but it is an interesting area with a lot of history.

Check out El Charro in Downtown Tucson. Always take guys there for business dinners. Big Tequila and Margarita selection and the food is fantastic. Make sure you go to the one on N. Court Ave, downtown since there are multiple locations. The building has lots of great ambience and used to be an old library. Books are still on bookshelves against the walls.

Good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just got back from vacation and did go to PIMA and AMARG. It was Awesome! And Heart-breaking all at the same time...

I took tons of pics and posted some of the F-14s in the F-14 thread. It was well worth the whole day and sunburn in the 105 or so degree heat and full on sun!

Also, took the drive up Mt. Lemmon. Again it was awesome. Great views and a 30 degree change in temperature!

And Pinnacle Peak was a laugh! The outdoor show was funny and the steak was great. I didn't have a tie on, but I saw a few who did and the 'reception' they received. Thanks again for all the tips.

John