Getting Alcad throug the mail

I have experienced some difficulties in obtaining Alcad. I also went to a large hobby store in Seattle, and was told that getting Alcad to be air mailed was almost impossible.

Is there a place where alcad can be air mailed?

-Al

You are out of luck since Canada implemented a restriction on solvent based paints. You won't be able to get paint with solvent in it ever more.

The only you can get Alclad shipped in the states it ground shipping on USPS, UPS and FED EX.

The only way to get it is to drive to the states and smuggle it back to Canada.

Edited by terryt

Not true. At all. Complete and utter BS.

Incidentally, I've ordered from GMW, Roll Models, Lucky Model and HSJ recently, all shipped via air, all no problems. (and gunze lacquers, and a few other solvent based paints)

Edited by MoFo
Not true. At all. Complete and utter BS.

Incidentally, I've ordered from GMW, Roll Models, Lucky Model and HSJ recently, all shipped via air, all no problems. (and gunze lacquers, and a few other solvent based paints)

Well MoFo:

Read this thread and see what you think.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....212915&st=0

Edited by terryt

The people shipping these paints are probably not aware of the new laws in Canada. I certainly dont follow laws in the states just in case it effects me here in Canada.

It is still illegal, but kinda one of those little laws everyone ignores (like Jay walking).

The notice on the first post is Canadian Customs will confiscate any solvent based paints and destroy them, has nothing to do with the shipper.

That thread is inaccurate. I've spoken to several people (both running hobby businesses and otherwise) that are still importing enamels with no problems. As long as the paint has the correct labels, there are no problems.

@Blackcollar BC Shaver & Hobby on Fort St. in Victoria should absolutely carry these paints. If they don't (and I'd be shocked if that was the case) they can certainly get them in for you.

Failing that, almost every single shop in Vancouver stocks them. Burnaby Hobby, On Track Hobbies, Imperial Hobbies, etc.. They all stock them and I'm sure they can mail them to you.

I've just spoken to Alclad's owner, and he's heard nothing about his product being under threat. I can't (obviously) go into his business arrangements, but he's making sure that it complies with all of the requirements of the paperwork trail, and, so far, nothing's changed. It might be an idea to check on quantities; for example, one regulation stipulates nothing bigger than a gallon. We had a similar scare, here, over enamel paints, about 5 years ago, and Humbrol paints were not affected, because they were too small.

Edgar

Well MoFo:

Read this thread and see what you think.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....212915&st=0

I did. And it's a load of crap. False. Wrong. Incorrect. Untrue.

SOLVENT BASED PAINTS HAVE NOT BEEN BANNED IN CANADA. PERIOD.

One modeller couldn't find a couple of shades at his local hobby shop, and leapt to wild (and wildly inaccurate) conclusions. He was wrong. And he's since admitted that he's wrong - read the thread's title.

Again, solvent based paints have not been banned. There is absolutely no reason why you can't have your local hobby shop bring in Alclad, or that you can't order it from one of the many on-line suppliers around the world. It is available in Canada. It can be imported to Canada. It can be airmailed into and throughout Canada.

From the USPS:

Effective September 13, 2007, we are revising the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM®) to allow shippers, who are authorized under Department of Transportation (DOT) Special Permit 9275, to use the Postal Service™ to mail shipments covered under the special permit.

Current Postal Service standards allow transportation of flammable solids and liquids under the “Small Quantity Provision,†which permits the mailing of small quantities of flammable liquids and solids via air transportation. See Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail, part 334 (April 2006). The term “small quantity†is defined as the maximum amount of a specific hazardous material that is not subject to any DOT packaging, marking, or label­ing requirements other than those in 49 CFR 173.4. The Postal Service small quantity provisions were adopted prior to 1999 and are substantially similar to the DOT small quantity provisions in 49 CFR 173.

Like the DOT and the Postal Service small quantity pro­visions, Permit Authorization DOT — SP 9275 allows for the shipment of identified quantities of flammable liquids or solids containing a flammable liquid otherwise restricted under DOT regulations. Shippers seeking to avail them­selves of the DOT — SP 9275 must apply in writing to the DOT and agree to comply with specific quantity and pack­aging requirements. The DOT considers the contents of such packages secure for shipment via air transportation. Accordingly, the Postal Service will allow mailers who are approved by DOT to ship under DOT — SP 9275 to mail, once authorized by the Postal Service, as described in the new mailing standards.

These packages must be presented to the USPS shipping facility under specific guidelines, you just can't drop them off at the PO or handed to your local letter carrier.

It boils down to this...as a shipper of such items do you want to apply and comply with the necessary regulations and regular review by the DOT and USPS inspectors or just say to your customers...We opt not to ship flammable liquids via postal modes. This provision also prohibits these items from air transport. Since the USPS no longer facilitates surface overseas International mail, that pretty much rules that option out. There are those who still ship merchandise without compliance...should their shipment be involved or the cause of a mishap, the consequences are costly. The insurance underwriters who cover the equipment...such as trucks and aircraft...now want their pound of flesh to offset the loss and expenses resulting from such an incident.

I know of a company who was shipping ink samples...on of their packages leaked. Since no one knew what it was, a hazmat team was called to investigate...they ended up spending tens of thousands of dollars by the time the bills and fines were levied. All because they took several short cuts...in packaging and shipping mode selection. USPS Postal Inspectors are more aggressively enforcing compliance...its become a viable revenue resource! The difference between a letter carrier and a postal inspector...one carriers a pouch with letters...the other carries a badge and a gun. One I don't mine seeing...the other I never want to see. <_<

Most Postal clerks will give you the easy answer when asked...Can I ship a small quantity of a flammable liquid?...NO!

In addition to the above, Canadian Customs consider solvent paint and such as dangerous materials.

Link to PDF file explains everything. Those of you in Canada that have received solvent type paints (flammable) should consider yourself lucky. Because the memorandum states that flammable liquids and cellulose solids or liquids (lacquer based paints) cannot be shipped via the Canadian mail system.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=ca...WznAw1rmmzguRzg

Edited by terryt

Sigh.

That document is dated 1988.

You know what? I give in. You're right. It's completely illegal. The Canadian government has completely banned the use of paints. All paints. You can't buy paint anywhere. You can't buy pure MEK and lacquer thinner by the gallon at any hardware store in the country, and you certainly can't purchase from a wide selection of brands at Canadian hobby shops. Every parcel sent into Canada is opened and carefully inspected for the faintest traces of paint, or paint-like substances, and anyone caught trying to smuggle paint into the country is set on an ice floe and left to their doom. All the cars that are built in Canada must be shipped across the border to be painted. And any car sold in Canada must be stripped down to bare metal, lest the merest speck of paint violate our pristine wilderness.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to order some Ricebox paints from Hobby Search...