Ghillie-Suits vs. FOD

Hi folks!

I´m the proud owner of the Profiline MD-500E and was planning to do a police-bird. I was thinking of adding two snipers in the back-seats, now my question is: Would it be realistic to have these two snipers already wearing ghillie-suits during the transport? Or would these suits lead to the risk of foreign object damage to the bird?

HAJO

I think that would depend on the whole mission setup. Think about the plank riding Rangers. Although they do not wear ghillies, they do carry their whole equipment outside of the craft. So I do not think that there is such a great risk of FOD. Maybe a few strands of ghillie material could come loose, but consider the downdraft of the main rotor!

Cheers

Thorsten

Hi folks!

I´m the proud owner of the Profiline MD-500E and was planning to do a police-bird. I was thinking of adding two snipers in the back-seats, now my question is: Would it be realistic to have these two snipers already wearing ghillie-suits during the transport? Or would these suits lead to the risk of foreign object damage to the bird?

HAJO

I don't think I have ever seen a police sniper wearing a ghilie suit. Police sniper don't typically shoot long range, usually around 300 yards. YMMV.

Yeah, you're kinda mixing your missions, but it could happen. Jet engines have particle separators on them to get the majority of particulates out of the airflow before they get to the turbine blades. That doesn't stop everything, but it does reduce the amount that actually hits fan blades. Anything coming off of a ghillie suit will most likely either be separated out, or burned up in the combustion chamber.

Yeah, you're kinda mixing your missions, but it could happen. Jet engines have particle separators on them to get the majority of particulates out of the airflow before they get to the turbine blades. That doesn't stop everything, but it does reduce the amount that actually hits fan blades. Anything coming off of a ghillie suit will most likely either be separated out, or burned up in the combustion chamber.

Agree with Jon here. The cops can/will wear ghillie suits if the conditions fit. The material on most ghillie's is burlap. Realistically, a small strand of burlap wont faze a turbine engine. It all depends on the mission that the "cargo" is intended to perform. If they have to go into hiding "NOW", then they might wear ghillies during the flight. If they need to hide after being dropped, then they would probably switch after being dropped because it is not comfortable being in a ghillie suit any longer than necessary.

Give us a little more info on what you are wondering about, I guess. I am not on my Dept's "swat/tactical team", but I have been in the business long enough to know what is going on. I will answer any question I can that doesn't comprimise an operational security.

Brandon

Oh, and Police DO use Ghillie suits. Don't forget that many Police/Sheriff's Departments are rural so they not only train but purchase equipment for their needs. Those needs may be wooded or urban.

Edited by BrittMac
Since you intend to use the Honolulu PD Decals, how about a Ghille Suit made out of a Lei SCNR. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Thorsten

Lol, that would be a sight!

Oh, I forgot to say earlier that Tank has a point. Most Law Enforcement sniper engagements are fairly short ranged. I think I heard that the statistics show the average urban engagement is between 70 and 100 yards (I "think" it was 77 yards, but don't quote me). This is urban though, with buildings limiting sight lines and such. Police/Sheriff snipers will still train in long distance shooting though. A friend of mine attended a FBI course where they shot at 600 yards, and that was just because the shooting range didn't support more distance than that.

I would imagine that a rural agency would skew the numbers. Everything depends on the situation though.

Brandon

Lol, that would be a sight!

Oh, I forgot to say earlier that Tank has a point. Most Law Enforcement sniper engagements are fairly short ranged. I think I heard that the statistics show the average urban engagement is between 70 and 100 yards (I "think" it was 77 yards, but don't quote me). This is urban though, with buildings limiting sight lines and such. Police/Sheriff snipers will still train in long distance shooting though. A friend of mine attended a FBI course where they shot at 600 yards, and that was just because the shooting range didn't support more distance than that.

I would imagine that a rural agency would skew the numbers. Everything depends on the situation though.

Brandon

Also keep in mind due to denser population and higher crime rate urban departments will completely skew the stats. NYPD alone probably has more snipers than all the police departments combined in many states. At least in the US 80% or so of the population lives in an urban area. Nearly 1/3 of the population lives in the top 10 largest cities / metro areas leaving a lot of open space for the remaining 20%.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to show some result of my work, thanks again for the input and ideas!

The model itself is very nice and a charm to build. Please excuse my little WHIF here, as I put the decals of the "D" on an "E". But I already have so many "D"s (all by Italeri), that I didn´t want to add another one. And the blue scheme is just soo nice... (Stepan, great decals by the way!)

The "raw material":

IMG_0599.jpg

Figures are by Preiser (1:87 scale in this case), same for the rifles, converted german K98-carabines, pimped with streched sprue into modern era sniper rifles.

IMG_0601.jpg

Camoflage and Ghillie applied.

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

And the whole little task force "in action":

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

Hope you like it! Critic and questions are welcome!

HAJO

DARN... that looks great. Gives me the urge to get even more than the 3 I already have. ;-)

Too bad there are still some flashlights I want to have too, so I have to set priorities.

Edit: regarding ghillie suits

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/14/or...?iref=allsearch

Cheers

Thorsten

Edited by Thorsten Wieking