Another rally super car: Hasegawa 1/24 Lancia Stratos

Hello Jan,

Oh good that you already seen that linky!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It is mesmerizing to see it...

Your decals looks awesome and I cannot wait to see the Stratos geting done..

I know I will find it extremely detailed knowing you ..

keep up the good work..

You are very patient I see ... :jaw-dropping:

HOLMES

Edited by HOLMES

Quite nice, Jan ... :thumbsup:

I'm sure you'll have the paint and decals meeting correctly in no time ...

That's one of the tough things about modeling race cars, they can change so much from one race to another ... A lot of details not seen by most are picked up upon by us nutty modelers ... :woot.gif:

Gregg

Thanks, fellas!

Gregg, you're right. Race cars can change quite a bit, especially on international races, where some sponsors are deleted altogether and some local ones added instead. This is just one example.

Seems this sheet was designed according to the Monte Carlo car from the same year, even though it is just an extra option on the decal sheet. Unfortunately that has led to many pitfalls, which I've mostly corrected or at least tried to correct. I've now decaled the body apart from two "Lancia" texts at the front. Then it's time for some touch up painting.

The body is now completely decaled. Only the auxiliary light pod (not installed yet) needs a couple of decals. The fog lights are already glued but they need fairings around them. I'm building the fairings out of some 1/72 spare drop tanks of suitable size.

As earlier, some corrections were made. These include the number four on the c-pillar on the co-driver's side (missing also from the OOP Hasegawa boxing of this same car), Finnish flag on the co-driver's door, hyphens between the names on the "Alen-Kivimäki" texts, black background on the bonnet "San Remo Rally" badge and changing the small number four on it from white to black.

004.jpg

006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Over a month has passed without any updates but that doesn't mean I haven't worked with the model. In fact, I've decaled and waxed the body, installed the windows (some cleaning needed there), the rear lights and register plate and some other smaller parts. Those not installed yet have been finished and are just waiting for the final assembly, which should happen this week.

Will post photos in a day or two. Thanks for watching!

The rear lights and the rear register plate are now attached. I've applied a couple of coats of dull cote on the reversing lights to get them more "milky". They still look too bright.

001.jpg

The instrument panel is glued too, as is the rear view mirror and all the windows. I decided to add a microphone for the two-way radio. Scratch-built, naturally.

003.jpg

janman,

SPECTACULAR, INPSPIRING work ..

The Rally car is looking the BEES KNEES !!!...AWESOME.. :wub: :wub:

The car's cokpit is impressive and well done, a GREAT CLEAN job so far..

HOLMESY :worship::worship::worship:

Edited by HOLMES

IMMENSE satisfaction!

I knew and had read that the body/chassis fit is quite troublesome. And it was, but not impossible. At some point I thought it's utterly impossible, because so much one has to flex the body to get it over - and partly around - the chassis. Around, because the body on the Stratos gets noticeably narrower just below the waist line.

Seems the best way to join the body and the chassis is when the body is upside down on a soft cloth. This way one can partly use the gravity in getting the chassis in when at the same time the center area of the body is widened by both hands. Otherwise you would need an extra hand! The front part first in, more flexing, wheels off (it seemed like a good idea at this point since it gave more room for my fingers, I should've done that as the first thing) and finally the rear part.

That's it! No parts popping out (except the mufflers), no cracking windows or decals. Actually, it went quite smoothly after the initial panic. Phew! :woo:

001-1.jpg

Great to hear it janman! It is certainly a somewhat stressful experience pulling the body that far apart to fit it around the chassis. When I did mine, all I kept thinking about was "did I glue the wheel arches on secure enough". Can't wait to see the finished product!

-Dave

Thanks, Dave!

Your input earlier in this thread certainly was helpful! I glued everything inside the cockpit very securely because of your warning. Luckily the whole process went quite well, even though I was very stressed about this part. Flexing the finished body that much felt awful! :blink:

Finished!

More to follow on the Display Corner. Thanks for watching!

077.jpg

Janne

STUNNING finish..Looks IMPRESSIVE standing on the gravel..

Looks SO VERY REAL..

You did an AWESOME job on this Super LANCIA !!! :worship::worship::worship::worship:

Jan, thank you for taking us along on this marvelous build ...

I couldn't wait to see it finished and now that it is, I'm sort of saddened that the build has come to an end ...

You've done the Real Car and Crew Proud with this ... :thumbsup2:

Everything is Top Shelf ... :clap2:

-Gregg

Jan, thank you for taking us along on this marvelous build ...

I couldn't wait to see it finished and now that it is, I'm sort of saddened that the build has come to an end ...

You've done the Real Car and Crew Proud with this ... :thumbsup2:

Everything is Top Shelf ... :clap2:

-Gregg

Thank you for your kind words, Gregg!

I'm very glad to notice there are many people on this aviation forum who have at least some kind of passion for rally cars.

Wow that dirty windshield! Someone with some photoshop skills could put this in an actual rally picture and you would never know. Amazing.

Thanks! Nothing magical there, actually. I just put a small piece of sanding paper on the wiper, mounted it in to its mounting point without gluing it and wiped a few times. Then masked the wiping area and dirtied the rest of the windscreen.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Nothing magical there, actually. I just put a small piece of sanding paper on the wiper, mounted it in to its mounting point without gluing it and wiped a few times. Then masked the wiping area and dirtied the rest of the windscreen.

I'd have never even thought of that.

Genius.

I'm about to start the Audi R10 TDI and I'll be satisfied if it's 40% as good as that.