Would you guys spend money on these?

Hey guys from the USA, I was just wondering if you would consider these prices to be good bargains or not:

1/72 P-51D for $ 6

1/72 F-14 or F-15 for $ 12

1/72 F-16CE or F/A-18D for $18

These are all Academy models. Their P-51D is probably the best 1/72 Mustang you can get (better than Hasegawa's offering). Their F-14 and F-15 are known to be good as well. And the F/A-18D and F-16CE are new releases featuring VERY improved tooling.

So...what do you guys think? Would you spend money on these? The reason why I'm asking this is because we have an Academy factory here in the Philippines, so we get it much cheaper than in other countries. So, I was planning on selling some on ebay to the guys who have to buy Academy models for much higher prices. But I haven't included shipping, so that's something you might have to consider. Of course, the models listed above aren't the only models they have, just a sample (a very small sample).

If majority find them to be good bargains, then I'll try to sell some on ebay (and I'll prioritize ARC users! Maybe I'll even give a discount). But of course, I'll need YOUR feedback. If you have any questions regarding any other products of Academy that I have not listed PLEASE LET ME KNOW. :worship:

Hey guys from the USA, I was just wondering if you would consider these prices to be good bargains or not:

1/72 P-51D for $ 6

1/72 F-14 or F-15 for $ 12

1/72 F-16CE or F/A-18D for $18

These are all Academy models. Their P-51D is probably the best 1/72 Mustang you can get (better than Hasegawa's offering). Their F-14 and F-15 are known to be good as well. And the F/A-18D and F-16CE are new releases featuring VERY improved tooling.

So...what do you guys think? Would you spend money on these? The reason why I'm asking this is because we have an Academy factory here in the Philippines, so we get it much cheaper than in other countries. So, I was planning on selling some on ebay to the guys who have to buy Academy models for much higher prices. But I haven't included shipping, so that's something you might have to consider. Of course, the models listed above aren't the only models they have, just a sample (a very small sample).

If majority find them to be good bargains, then I'll try to sell some on ebay (and I'll prioritize ARC users! Maybe I'll even give a discount). But of course, I'll need YOUR feedback. If you have any questions regarding any other products of Academy that I have not listed PLEASE LET ME KNOW. :)

Pinoy, oy! Good questions.

So lets see if I get this. You want to buy the kits for little money there, undercut retail and internet sellers, ship internationally and make a profit... maybe even have enough left for a discount to ARC'ers? Is that right?

Heres what is happening with these kits on ebay, right now:

The F-18D's thathave been listed are not selling on ebay at $20

One F-16 has sold recently for $24 (retail) w/ $8USD shipping

One F-14A has sold for $10 w/ $9.50USD shipping from Hong Kong

One F-15 has sold for $13, w/ $9USD shipping.

Three P-51's have sold, for $7.70, w/ $4.99USD shipping.

Not to be indelicate, but what you are contemplating is not adding anything special to the ebay market. There's a boatload of these kits being cranked out by that factory and offered for sale by others already. In that regard, you'd be just another fish in the pond. Shipping from the P.I. to the US or Europe is going to add a lot to the cost, too (around $10+).

Plus, you have to deduct listing and final sale fees from any profit you do realize at ebay. With your already low margins, these will take a deep bite.

That's the reality.

Remember, ebay is an auction site and you make your best money there auctioning used items you paid little to get - and which people really want.

Buy low, sell high, in other words. You're talking about buying low (that's good), and selling low (that's bad).

A ton of those kits are flooding ebay right now, all at street retail... and few are selling. Your prices are fair compared to actual street prices, but only marginally better. Those that ARE selling are going for only a small amount more than what you are pricing them at.

Much also depends on perceived value and the quality of your ebay listing. So you have to know what makes a good listing and how to maximize the opportunity ebay presents to you. Until you learn what may set you apart from others, you stand to fare no better than anyone else.

So what might make you different? I'm thinking you should use the kits as reasonable trade fodder with the folks here at ARC. You can buy them at low cost, ship them as cheaply as possible and thus use them to obtain other kits or accessories you may want at reduced cost. You could potentially become the Trade King of ARC that way.

But, if you just want a lesson in margin economics, are a super nice guy or merely have plenty of time on your hands, go for the ebay method.

It would be interesting to see how it turns out.

Edited by dahut
Pinoy, oy! Good questions.

So lets see if I get this. You want to buy the kits for little money there, undercut retail and internet sellers, ship internationally and make a profit... maybe even have enough left for a discount to ARC'ers? Is that right?

Heres what is happening with these kits on ebay, right now:

The F-18D's thathave been listed are not selling on ebay at $20

One F-16 has sold recently for $24 (retail) w/ $8USD shipping

One F-14A has sold for $10 w/ $9.50USD shipping from Hong Kong

One F-15 has sold for $13, w/ $9USD shipping.

Three P-51's have sold, for $7.70, w/ $4.99USD shipping.

Not to be indelicate, but what you are contemplating is not adding anything special to the ebay market. There's a boatload of these kits being cranked out by that factory and offered for sale by others already. In that regard, you'd be just another fish in the pond. Shipping from the P.I. to the US or Europe is going to add a lot to the cost, too (around $10+).

Plus, you have to deduct listing and final sale fees from any profit you do realize at ebay. With your already low margins, these will take a deep bite.

That's the reality.

Remember, ebay is an auction site and you make your best money there auctioning used items you paid little to get - and which people really want.

Buy low, sell high, in other words. You're talking about buying low (that's good), and selling low (that's bad).

A ton of those kits are flooding ebay right now, all at street retail... and few are selling. Your prices are fair compared to actual street prices, but only marginally better. Those that ARE selling are going for only a small amount more than what you are pricing them at.

Much also depends on perceived value and the quality of your ebay listing. So you have to know what makes a good listing and how to maximize the opportunity ebay presents to you. Until you learn what may set you apart from others, you stand to fare no better than anyone else.

So what might make you different? I'm thinking you should use the kits as reasonable trade fodder with the folks here at ARC. You can buy them at low cost, ship them as cheaply as possible and thus use them to obtain other kits or accessories you may want at reduced cost. You could potentially become the Trade King of ARC that way.

But, if you just want a lesson in margin economics, are a super nice guy or merely have plenty of time on your hands, go for the ebay method.

It would be interesting to see how it turns out.

Haha! You sound like my economics teacher....but unfortunately for me, I think you're right. But one thing I've noticed on ebay is that some of their Academy models are overpriced. But then again, as you said, sell high. Looks like I'll go back to the drawing board again. But at least I didn't jump into it right away. Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

NO

But then again 1/72nd isn't my scale.

Plus I'm saving up $10,000+ for a Nikon 600/4 lens and Gitzo tripod w/gimbalhead (Wimberley)

Well...I didn't mention the other models in different scales, coz I want them for myself! :thumbsup: They have 1/48 and 1/32 (and the good ones too). But then again, since you're saving up anyway, I guess trying to convince you otherwise is pretty much futile.

Haha! You sound like my economics teacher....but unfortunately for me, I think you're right. But one thing I've noticed on ebay is that some of their Academy models are overpriced. But then again, as you said, sell high. Looks like I'll go back to the drawing board again. But at least I didn't jump into it right away. Thanks for the feedback :)

The people selling these kits on ebay are buying them at trade cost. You can beat that, presumably, but not by a wide margin and you have to factor in shipping.

Those overpriced ones are most assuredly the ones that dont sell. But even when you see THE OCCASIONAL one that is lower, you dont see them selling like fresh lumpia.

This implies the demand isn't there, or it is well met already.

In that situation, you have to operate on quantity sales to make a profit. Think of McDonalds, for example - there is lots of competition in their saturated market, so they sell their burgers cheap, they sell a ton of them and they trade heavily on t a well established reputation.

Let me throw one more thing at you. Its called the Fibonacci Ratio. This says that there is a natural breaking point in price that places you in a position to profit. It is so universal in its application, in fact, that it almost guarantees success - - PROVIDING you select something to sell that people want or can be made to want.

The Fibonacci Ratio, and even fractional values of it, is often used in stock trading to establish buy and sell windows.

The way you use it is to take your selling price and multiply it by .618 to get your "must buy" price.

Or if you prefer, you multiply your purchase price of an item by 1.618.

For example, a kit you obtain for $6 must sell for $9.07 (6 x 1.618) to have the profit margin needed to overcome your cost and overheads (whatever they may be).

Or, if you are certain you can sell something for $10, you have to obtain it for $6.18 (10 x .618) - or it may leave you hanging.

If you cannot meet the Fibonacci Ratio's limits, then there is the likelihood that your profit will suffer, or even fail. Its a good rule of thumb to go by.

These are all Academy models. Their P-51D is probably the best 1/72 Mustang you can get (better than Hasegawa's offering).

The Academy P-51D is OK, but the Tamiya kit remains the "gold standard" in 1/72.

Here in the States Academy kits are readily available, and the single-engine fighters can usually be found for 10 dollars or less..sometimes half that on sale.

SN

Edited by Steve N
The Academy P-51D is OK, but the Tamiya kit remains the "gold standard" in 1/72.

Here in the States Academy kits are readily available, and the single-engine fighters can usually be found for 10 dollars or less..sometimes half that on sale.

SN

Really? I know Tamiya's is the best in 1/48, but not in 1/72. And after building the Academy Mustang before, I couldn't contemplate anyone making a better kit. Plus it only costs half as much :woot.gif: