Best book or books for aircraft color profiles

Both the Osprey and Squadron books are great sources for profiles, although I've heard complaints about inaccuracies in the Osprey titles. Just remember, you shouldn't take a profile as gospel..it's only as accurate as the information the artist had. Profiles are great as inspiration and helpful as references, but it's always best to do as much research as you can from multiple sources if you plan to model a specific aircraft.

SN

I really thing the Osprey and Squadron Signal books are the best at the illustrations. Especially the Osprey "Combat Aircraft" and "Aircraft of the Aces series". The Osprey Duel series is also very interesting. The Osprey books usually backup at least some of the illustrations with a real picture somewhere in the book.

A lot of these books cover WWII very well and Vietnam pretty well, but unfortunately the air war in Korea doesn't get covered as much.

Osprey does have the books titled "F4U Corsair Units of the Korean War", "Korean War Aces" and "B-29 Superfortress Units of the Korean War".

Squadron Signal also has the books titled "USN/USMC over Korea", " Air War over Korea" and "Mig Alley".

Just search Amazon.com's book section for the particular aircraft you are modeling. Some of these books are out of print, but used copies are usually available.

Edited by dmk0210

My interest is early jets. I've collected a small collection of reference material and you're welcome to look through my stash and see what I've found out there. If you see a book, feel free to ask and I'll look through it and let you know about the color profiles it includes. My stash is arranged by Aircraft Manufacturer which helps in finding subjects.

My Stash

I love wings pallette!

Even if they steal stuff and use it without permission! Which they do. Frequently.

There is no "best" book or books for profiles. Profiles are only as good as the research that goes into them and the talent of the artist who does the work. You can't make blanket statements about this or that series (like Osprey), since they're done by different researchers and artists, and some are excellent and some are lousy. Unfortunately, I'd say the preponderance of stuff in the Osprey books tends toward the latter rather than the former, but there is some good stuff in them. And you can say the same about almost any other book series as well.

J