Tamiya 1/20 Lotus 25

As a break from airplanes I am building a Lotus 25 Coventry Climax.

Tamiya-Lotus25-360w.jpg

Nice kit so far, I believe unless I really mess up (I will, no doubt), it should be a looker!

This was this weekend's progress:

q3rUd.jpg

c73KB.jpg

9IiGV.jpg

QVHhq.jpg

pUeP6.jpg

ktZfy.jpg

I used "real" automtive paint, and so far the results are good. The paint is already damaged on the underside, since I messed up when gluing, but it wont be to visible, and I may fix it later.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Looking really good so far! I simply love racing cars from this era. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!!

In 1/20 this would be a prime candidate for super detailing. I may be interested in building one of these, how much did this kit cost you?

This is in fact, a excellent candidate for super detailing, since as you will see bellow, you can remove the top, to show the detail in the chassis and engine!

Got mine at hannants for 24.99 UK pounds.

And, it's done!!

db5vw.jpg

eq63S.jpg

6KbHN.jpg

9IHvd.jpg

319OP.jpg

ckyA9.jpg

qm3c9.jpg

Continued...

jWsZT.jpg

QFIE7.jpg

Jy1b4.jpg

5MYvk.jpg

niecy.jpg

Had an absolute blast doing this one! Hope you enjoy seeing as much as I enjoyed building it!

However as you can see some mistakes were made: The rear right wheel is misaligned, but when I noticed it was too late. Also the decals while extremely well printed, were a PITA to place.

Nevertheless I will certainly do more kits like it, it's a shame there are so few! Next in line the Honda F1 RA272 1965 Mexico GP.

Cheers!

Thanks everyone. I really do like how this one turned out.

Holmes: Since I don't have the kit in my possession yet, and will only order it form Hannants in January, it will be a couple of weeks at least until work starts on the Honda. Stay tuned anyway.

Looks good! I just started work on this kit yesterday. It's my first plastic build in ~15 years and only the second car I've ever built. I hope it turns out as nice as yours.

Unwanted advice time: If was to build this kit again today, I would do some things different.

1) spray paint the yellow stripe. The decals while good where troublesome. The white circle and number decals where excellent, as were the small decal details

2) gluing the suspension arms with the wheels attached (they use polly caps and can be removed later) for proper alignment checking.

3) glue the top and bottom of the front cover and sanding its joint before painting.

HTH

Cheers!

Edit: some word missing.

Edited by Pinguis
Unwanted advice time: If was to build this kit again today, I would do some things different.

1) spray paint the yellow stripe. The decals while good where troublesome. The white circle and number decals where excellent, as were the small decal details

2) gluing the suspension arms with the wheels attached (they use polly caps and can be removed later) for proper alignment checking.

3) glue the top and bottom of the front cover and sanding its joint before painting.

HTH

Cheers!

Advice is always wanted! Here's where I am as of yesterday:

1138827621_bGWJy-L.jpg

I glued the front cover together and am ready to start filling and sanding the seam. I was sure I'd break the front suspension arms during the build, so I cut them off the lower piece. I'll reattach them when I'm finished. I plan to paint both the white circles and the stripes. Decals are great for intricate markings, but stripes and circles are easy to mask.

Advice is always wanted! Here's where I am as of yesterday:

1138827621_bGWJy-L.jpg

I glued the front cover together and am ready to start filling and sanding the seam. I was sure I'd break the front suspension arms during the build, so I cut them off the lower piece. I'll reattach them when I'm finished. I plan to paint both the white circles and the stripes. Decals are great for intricate markings, but stripes and circles are easy to mask.

I would love to see this too,,have you got a WIP thread anywhere ?

with respect to pinguis...

Thnak you

have built one of them, and the honda, the engine struts on the honda were a bit fiddly.....you ve got me all reminiscent.... chuckles..... if you like those style of cars see if you can find the "Jackie Stewart" Matra. big scale ( when tamiya did good big car kits!!!) also had the ferrari 312 TE, 1975 Nikki Lauda and the 1976 with more fire extinguishers.... and yeah those gold decals i found easier to put on with les than boiling water, seems to help them move and "bend" a bit...but for kicks try the gold lettering on a "john player special " lotus driven by mario andretti....:thumbsup: that took me a while.........

I would love to see this too,,have you got a WIP thread anywhere ?

with respect to pinguis...

Thnak you

Not yet. I've only just got started. I was just trying to compare notes with Pinguis, no disrespect intended. I can remove my prior post if it's considered rude.

if you like those style of cars see if you can find the "Jackie Stewart" Matra. big scale ( when tamiya did good big car kits!!!) also had the ferrari 312 TE, 1975 Nikki Lauda and the 1976 with more fire extinguishers....

Wow, that Matra is very cool! But the price... Ouch! I guess this is par for the course in 1/12 models, but even then! If I can get my hands on one for a reasonable price, I wont miss the chance.

The Ferrari is a bit pointed for my tastes honestly. Perhaps you meant the Ferrari 312B?

Not yet. I've only just got started. I was just trying to compare notes with Pinguis, no disrespect intended. I can remove my prior post if it's considered rude.

No, its not disrespectful. Holmes was just encouraging you to open a WIP thread as well.