Howdy all! Here's my attempt at getting something finished for a GB :D

IMAG0581.jpg

She's been sitting in the stash for a while, and this is a great excuse to get her built.

Here's a pic of the unbuild parts in the box, with the local fishwrapper dated 01/01/11 :(

IMAG0583.jpg

Plenty enough has already been said about this kit. Been around forever, plenty of flash, basis for a good model yadda yadda yadda. If you're not afraid of filling a few seams, and scribing a few panel lines, i rekon this kit is a bargain (ask me that again when it's actually finished...).

DAY 1:

General cleanup of bits and pieces. I removed the rudder to make cleanup easier (and to add some 'interest' to the tail end later on). Mainly just carving out bits of Hurricane from the lumps of plastic supplied.

Oh, and a bit of painting: (The silver looks a lot brighter in pics than it does in the flesh!)

IMAG0588.jpg

Sofar so good. Fun levels are still high :D

More soon!

Thanks for reading

Denzil

Edited by DDC
IMAG0588.jpg

Denzil

Welcome on board Denzil.

I point I hope you dont mind me making, but the area here you have hihlighted with silver is actually wood on a hurricane

Here are some pics I took to 2 hurricanes being restored;

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

I have more pics if they will help you.

Julien

Howdy mate, thanks for the info. That'll teach me for rushing it! I'll be leaving the canopy closed, so hopefully no one will be able to see it

Those are great pics BTW

Cheers,

Denzil

Latest Progress:

IMAG0597.jpg

Fuse and wings in unison. A layer of filler around all the wing seams, and everything'll be peachy.

Off to buy some paint for it tonight. Hopefully get some colour on her by the weekend!

Cheers,

Denzil

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy again!

Giant floods, a Giant Bucks Night and an impending wedding haven't kept kept me completely away from the Hurri! She's all together now:

IMAG0819.jpg

And today i got on the Lower colours with a bit of post shading :crying2:

IMAG0818.jpg

Im away for a week now though (See 'Impending Wedding' above) so the black and white will have PLENTY of time to dry before the green and brown go on!

Thanks for reading,

Denzil

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for reading Dirkpitt289!

Latest progress:

The masking has been removed!

IMAG1151.jpg

Disaster has struck though :)

First:

IMAG1150.jpg

Doesn't look like much, but in my usual careless manner, i managed to spill a few drops of thinner on the rudder needs a bit of a touch up.

More importantly though, after applying a nice shiny clear coat, i started applying the decals. I began with an underwing roundel and one of the fuselage codes. put them on with a generous amount of Mr Mark Softener and left them for the night. I checked in the next day, only to find the decals had exploded! they had shattered and were peeling off the plane :)

TAKE 2; i've bought another kit to pinch the decals from, and this time im not going to use decal sofetener. Fingers crossed!

More soon,

Denzil

• 1 month later...

We're BACK!

Crappy Decals be D@mned! I ended up using a mixture of Original kit decals for the stencils, New Hurricane kit decals for the fuselage codes and roundels and Airfix MkI Spit underwing roundels. All of that, a NICE THICK coat of Matt Clear, a bit of exhaust staining and danglie bits glued on (I realise the Pitot tube isn't on yet) and we've got more or less a finished Hurricane :worship:

Please excuse my crappy pics, in a bit of a hurry before work!

IMAG1291.jpg

IMAG1299.jpg

IMAG1297.jpg

IMAG1288.jpg

Conclusions: Overall the kit isnt that bad. I did have to thin a lot of parts, open up intakes and scribe panel lines, but in this scale, it's not overly tedious work. The wing to fuselage joint did take a few bog/sand sessions, but otherwise, fit was pretty good. The only hurdles i encountered were trhe decals (and it seems i was just unlucky, as the second kit's decals worked much better, though the decals from the current release MkI spitfire went one BEAUTIFULLY!)

The other drama was, i attempted to use Pledge (Nee Klear) polish for a gloss coat, and managed to mung it up completely. I DID brush coat it on (Which i WAS able to do with the Klear) but i couldn't get a consistant gloss coat, and ended up Humbrol Gloss coating everything instead. More investigation needed.

NEXT UP, im building the Airfix MkI Spit. This was intended to be build for the Rumormonger GB, but since it fits both that and this Airfix GB, ill post updates here too

Thanks for reading

Denzil