F-14A Revell Tomcat 1/48- VF-1 Wolfpack

Well here we go. I'm building Revell's 1/48 F-14A Tomacat with VF-1 Wolfpack markings. It's gonna be a little of a slow build as that's just the way I am I guess.

CIMG1496.jpg

As far as aftermarket parts go here they are:

True Details Cockpit

Steel Beach FOD covers

AOA Probe

Royale Resin External Tanks and Wheels

CIMG1493.jpg

I had hoped to get the Aires Exhaust cans but haven't been able to. Here's a pic of the True Details Cockpit.

TomcatWIP1.jpg

I have the Eagle Strike Decals for VF-1 Wolfpack but not sure if I like them. They don't look as good as the Fightertown Decal sheet.

CIMG1524.jpg

Well back to the kit. Thanks for looking.

Edited by Wolfgun33
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok I have the cockpit done and painted. I think it looks great. I really like the way it turned out. I guess I can surprise even myself. Now I just hope that I can get it to fit right in the fuselage. Here's some pics.

TomcatWIP2-1.jpg

TomcatWIP3.jpg

TomcatWIP4.jpg

TomcatWIP5.jpg

TomcatWIP6.jpg

TomcatWIP7.jpg

TomcatWIP8.jpg

Do not really like the post-WWII models but this has always been my favorite aircraft and with the colors of the USS Enterprise. I remember as a young man to have built this model in scale 1/72, I think that's Arfix.

Good luck and I will follow.

• 1 month later...

All right finally an update. Been busy with work and Re-certing my EMT. Haven't been able to do anything at the bench and it's been driving me crazy. I ordered VF-1 Wolfpack decals from Fightertown Decals and a resin replacement nose for the kit. Here's the pics.

TomcatWIP9.jpg

TomcatWIP10.jpg

TomcatWIP11.jpg

TomcatWIP12.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ok. Got the gun and nose attached. That was not fun. My first attempt got the nose glued on in the wrong position. Had to take it off (scary) and reattach it. Here's the pics of before.

TomcatWIP15.jpg

TomcatWIP16.jpg

Ok all, i'm having an issue that I need help with. There's a step between the nose and fuselage at the top. Sanding doesn't seem to help but to make it worse. Not sure how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated. Here's a pic of it. Sorry it's not the best pic.

TomcatWIP19.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just a small update. Got the nose pretty well blended in. Still trying to fix some more gaps.

Now I primed it to see where the worst spots were. After the primer dried, I discovered that the primer finish is really grainy. Now I think it might be cause of the humidity (it's always humid here in Houston) but I'm not sure. I guess I need to sand the whole thing. But that means i'll have to rescribe the whole stupid thing. This thing is close to becoming a lawn dart. Any tips on what's going on here and how to fix it? Oh and by the way I used Rustoleum greay primer.

You shouldn't have to rescribe it if you just lightly sand it. Hit the overall finish with a fine sand paper or even steel wool polish just to take the graininess off first and see how that works out.

• 2 months later...

Just a small update. I'm a very slow builder right now. I've been rescribing the Tomcat. Got a lot of the top done. Going to start on the bottom soon as well. The front fuselage and a few others spots still need some work. I recently got some Mr Surfacer so that will aid in my build. Here's a couple of pics of the rescribing work so far.

TomcatWIP21.jpg

TomcatWIP22.jpg

• 3 months later...

This thing is long overdue for an update. This thing has been taunting me from the workbench. So I decided that the thing wasn't going to build itself, so it's time to get back at it. I didn't like the nozzels on the Tomcat and found some resin replacements that have covers on them (more hiding things) from Steel Beach. I cut off the old ones without to much problem. Now to clean up the area and add the resin ones.

TomcatWIP25.jpg

TomcatWIP26.jpg

TomcatWIP27.jpg

• 2 months later...

Looking good so far wolf. Your rescribing is immaculate! I can't wait to see it finished.

I agree, congratulations to you for going the extra mile, scribing the entire aircraft :jaw-dropping:

And btw, the new panel lines look super :thumbsup:

/Jesse

• 2 weeks later...