Method to removing the old paint

I have some old built (painted) kits, now I want to remove the old paint and repainting, can anybody help me on the best method to do that, but other than scratching the old paint (via sand paper) because I want to keep the engraving, grooves and tiny details, Thank you

Austin,

Easy-Off Oven Cleaner does well. Soak the model, let it set for a while, and scrub with a toothbrush. May take a couple times, but most will come off. Doesn't hurt clear parts either.

I have also heard break fluid or cleaner works, but never tried it.

Easy-Off Oven Cleaner does well. Soak the model, let it set for a while, and scrub with a toothbrush. May take a couple times, but most will come off. Doesn't hurt clear parts either.

I have also heard break fluid or cleaner works, but never tried it.

Thank you so much George, I shall do that,

Austin,

Best to use Mr Muscle ovencleaner!! :thumbsup: Stay away from brake fluid as that is very dangerours material to work with. What was the model painted in ?

Thank you Eric for your advice, It’s collection of vintage and modern models, painted from about 10-12 years,

Austin,

IMHO, the best way to remove old paint is to soak the model in Purple Power.

You can get the stuff cheap at any auto parts store, even WalMart. I picked up a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff for under 30 bucks.

The best thing about it is it is very mild to the plastic. Even clear plastic comes out unscathed.

IMHO, the best way to remove old paint is to soak the model in Purple Power.

You can get the stuff cheap at any auto parts store, even WalMart. I picked up a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff for under 30 bucks.

The best thing about it is it is very mild to the plastic. Even clear plastic comes out unscathed.

Thank you so much PNW Modeler,

Austin,

• 1 month later...
I soak them in common household bleach for a day or two. Much less toxic than oven cleaner or brake fluid. Seems to work OK for me.

I use that to remove the chrome from plated parts. I haven't tried it for paint, but it will get the chrome off!

Gonna try it for paint. :cheers:

John

After seeing this thread I went to my local Auto parts outlet and bought some for around $6 gave it a shot. I put the parts in a soak as shown in the thread for about 30-45 min; then took and old toothbrush set aside for cleaning and scrubbing and voila!!! it works just like in the thread and it takes off paint thinned with lacquer thinner; very easily. Super Clean. Cheapest and best I've seen and used. break fluid will kill the part if it's resin, cost me two 32nd scale MB MK 10 seats soaked them both together :cheers: .

you might want to give Polly S ELO (easy lift off) Decal and Paint remover a try. i have used this product for quite a few years and it has never disappointed me. yes it does get a little messy but it won't harm plastic or resin

I have some old built (painted) kits, now I want to remove the old paint and repainting, can anybody help me on the best method to do that, but other than scratching the old paint (via sand paper) because I want to keep the engraving, grooves and tiny details, Thank you

Austin,

Hi Austin, if you live in the uk pop to tesco and get some tesco all purpose cleaner it's 26p a bottle leave it in over night and rub of the next day. This is my tristar I done the same way

Before

18d5db73.jpg

After ( just the tail )

5d5f43dc.jpg

You can't go wrong for 26p a bottle many thanks Chris