Local H.S. student dies after game winning layup

I rarely post off topic threads, especially sports related. However, this story is worth the read. The town is about 30 minutes south of me. So tragic. This is the kind of story I read and think about the rest of the day. Fennville is a small quiet town, and I'm sure it is experiencing alot of pain and grief today. :pray:

Holland Sentinel Article

and a ESPN writeup:

ESPN story

From the Holland Sentinel:

"Fennville, MI —

A moment of jubilation for hundreds of Fennville basketball fans turned to horror Thursday night as junior Wes Leonard collapsed on the court after celebrating his team’s dramatic victory and clinching of a perfect season Thursday night.

About two hours later, the 16-year-old Leonard died at 10:40 p.m. at Holland Hospital, said Tim Breed, the hospital’s spokesperson.

Leonard, the undefeated Blackhawks’ star player, scored the game-winning layup in a 57-55 win over Bridgman in overtime at Fennville High School. He fell to the ground amid teammates and fans who stormed the court."

Edited by mynameismatt

The local Kalamazoo/Grand Rapids TV news stations have been extensively covering this story. It sound like the boy was not only a great athlete, but was also a great kid. It is a very tragic story. My heart goes out to the family and community.

I add my thoughts and prayers to those of other posters here going out to Wes's family and friends. I saw it tonight on our local tv news. They said he apparently was suffering from enlarged heart syndrome which can cause heart attack, even in the very young. Such a sad loss. RIP Wes.

Ross.