Hey all. I have a question. I'm ready to put on the Future and i'm not sure how to go about it. Do I just airbrush it on? My other question is how many coats and how long till I can start adding decals?

I'm trying to get it done before the show this Saturday.

Thanks in advance.

You can brush it on or spray it. I think the results you get with a good-quality wide, flat brush are as good as what you get with an airbrush, with a lot less messing about.

Kev

I do it either way depending on the size of the model. Something small then by all means just brush it on you'll get the best effect. For larger aircraft I always airbrush. I have found with airbrushing that you have to be careful on the vertical surfaces because too much will create a run that you won't discover till it's dry then you have to sand and reapply.

I usually do at least 2 coats.

Then wait 24 hours after final coat before decaling.

Then do another coat after decaling to seal them in before doing your flat coat.

At least that's how I do it.

I do it either way depending on the size of the model. Something small then by all means just brush it on you'll get the best effect. For larger aircraft I always airbrush. I have found with airbrushing that you have to be careful on the vertical surfaces because too much will create a run that you won't discover till it's dry then you have to sand and reapply.

I usually do at least 2 coats.

Then wait 24 hours after final coat before decaling.

Then do another coat after decaling to seal them in before doing your flat coat.

At least that's how I do it.

Thanks. That was the answer I was looking for.

You could also just use the future slightly diluted with water as your setting solution, then you will not have to wait for the 1st coat to dry.

If you airbrush the Future on, go in light coats, just enough to seal the paint, Don't go too heavy as this seems to be your 1st time, and you can easily build up too much paint an cause a run.

I would just set the decals using the Future, then seal them with a light coat of Future, this will help bury the decal film (it any) then hit it with your flat coat.

I did a Fw-190 this way as a test and it worked out great, I just wanted to test the Future's limits over very flat paint, I had no silvering at all.

Curt

I find airbrushing future causes it to run easily. I apply future to most of my models by handbrushing, gives me more control and results in a nice shine :thumbsup:

DSC03636.jpg

Edited by limyc

I have found with airbrushing that you have to be careful on the vertical surfaces because too much will create a run that you won't discover till it's dry then you have to sand and reapply.

If you get a run in Future, let it dry overnight then use Tamiya X-20 acrylic thinner on a q-tip to wipe it right off. If you are careful, you can just rub down the run. If you take off too much Future, you can touch up the spot with some Future applied with a soft paintbrush or just hit that spot with the airbrush again.

I think I will be out of topic :monkeydance:

Except for the transparent parts I do not use Future anymore on my models, because:

- It darkens my paint job and kills my weathering

- It kind of seals the panel lines, resulting in poor capillarity when you apply a wash.

Now, I prefer to use gloss varnish :)

I think I will be out of topic :monkeydance:

Except for the transparent parts I do not use Future anymore on my models, because:

- It darkens my paint job and kills my weathering

- It kind of seals the panel lines, resulting in poor capillarity when you apply a wash.

Now, I prefer to use gloss varnish :)

FWIW, I agree. Tamiya Clear Gloss for me!

Kev