Forgive me if this question is unbelievably stupid, but this is the first time I'm making a model 'properly' (ie without slapping the pieces together within a few hours). After applying a layer of primer, I applied my first layer of white paint. It looked as if nothing had changed, the primer became slightly lighter in colour but nothing else. Am I doing something wrong or do I keep applying additional layers of paint. Also, if I were to continue adding layers of paint, approximately how many layers would hide the primer?

The Tamiya Pearl White is notoriously thin, and needs to be "built-up" over several lightly "ghosted" coats to cover fully. Assuming your primer coat covered thoroughly, and there were no visible surface flaws, you're on the right track.

Simply continue to apply very light coats, and don't worry about getting everything completely covered in one go.

Be patient and you'll get there.

(And I agree with the above poster; there's no such thing as a "talentless noob;" only somewhat less experienced modelers with lots of potential! Being "new" means that you get to experience the sheer joy of discovery--a feeling unlike any other.

cheers

Old Blind Dog