Ju 87B "Snake"

I,m building the Airfix 1/24th Stuka and I plan to do it in the North African scheme, with the snake down the fuselage.

The problem I have is regarding the snake.

Is it just white over the camouflage, or is it red and white, as in the box art for the old Revell 32nd kit?

I have been researching this online and in just about every book I can find but, as all contempory photos are black and white, I've not got very far.

Anyone out there know for definate please?

A subject of much debate. "Luftwaffe im Focus" did an article on this aircraft a few years ago, their conclusion was that the snake was sand colored. I'm inclined to agree with them but not everyone does. I don't think you'll ever get a definite, just some educated guesses.

I've read plenty of articles on this too. some say "its red & white" some say "just white".

I think you're right, I'll just have to make an educated guese and through in the fact I like the looks of it in red & White.

I'd have to agree with Mike on this one, as the Luftwaffe Im Focus Series is top notch in terms of their research. Of course others have different opinions on this one, almost always the case when it comes to Luftwaffe oddities like this. I know we had a thread here on this very subject a year or two ago that you might search as well for additional information.

Best,

Greg

There are a few photographs of the famous snakes. Noone can prove you wrong which ever you go for but I'm in the sandy camp too. In the B+W photos the darker colour just doesn't look dark enough to be red to me but who knows.The same goes for the sort of dappled spinner infront of the blades.

I remember 21st Century Toys did a version of this and they went for sand/white snakes.

Cheers

Steve

I have the 21st Century kit and when I got it I thought it funny the snake was sand as opposed to the Revell kit's snake.

I tend to think it is correct in the 21st Cent kit if for the only reason Roy Sutherland had his hand in producing those kits...

Max Bryant

I'd have to agree with Mike on this one, as the Luftwaffe Im Focus Series is top notch in terms of their research. Of course others have different opinions on this one, almost always the case when it comes to Luftwaffe oddities like this. I know we had a thread here on this very subject a year or two ago that you might search as well for additional information.

Best,

Greg

A word of caution here. The profile in the Luftwaffe im Focus shows an unusual pattern on the rudder based upon a photo of the 'snake' aircraft. There is a reasonable probability that the shape as seen in the photo (and consequently on the profile) is actually a shadow cast by rudder due to the angle of the rudder and the sun. There was quite a discussion on Hyperscale a year or so ago regarding this and Roy Sutherland duplicated the marking almost perfectly using one of 21st Century Stukas posing it and a light source in a manner similar to that seen in the photo.

A word of caution here. The profile in the Luftwaffe im Focus shows an unusual pattern on the rudder based upon a photo of the 'snake' aircraft. There is a reasonable probability that the shape as seen in the photo (and consequently on the profile) is actually a shadow cast by rudder due to the angle of the rudder and the sun. There was quite a discussion on Hyperscale a year or so ago regarding this and Roy Sutherland duplicated the marking almost perfectly using one of 21st Century Stukas posing it and a light source in a manner similar to that seen in the photo.

Yeah, I'd say that the RLM 78 thought to be on the rudder is probably due to a shadow and/or the angle of the camera. I think the rest of the article is pretty much spot on though, LIF is usually pretty good on the research side of things.

G'Day HL-10. From the replies above, I'd go with whatever pleases YOU. That's what I'm gunna do, and I like the red snake because the Stuks ends-up with more colour.

Point to note - the snake could have been red at first (and photographed that way), but, over time, the red probably faded in the (rather harsh) N/African sunshine. And the same Stuka photographed at later dates. The Stuka had a lenght of time in servise. Each photo will show an instant (1/125th of a second) of that time-line. I's like someone flashing around a photo of you - and claiming that you were only ever 16 years old (DUMB, huh?).

And this arguement is true for ALL photographs of any hardware. Remember that.

George, out...............

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'll have to give it some thought.

The Revell 32nd Stuka was the first large scale model I built and I do have a soft spot for the red and white snake, but......