Hasegawa 1/72 SU-33

Hey everyone

Is the Hasegawa 1/72 SU-33 generally considered to a good representation of the real thing? I'm not looking to get to bogged down in nitty gritty accuracy issues but so long as it's more accurate than the Trumpeter 1/32 SU27 and doesn't require a heap of AM parts to make it decent then I'm happy.

What is the general consensus on the overall build quality?

Edited by The Madhatter

I'd just like to know if this effort is less broad across the hips that the Hasegawa Su-27...? Is it new from the ground up or 'adapted' from the older molds?

New tool - not adapted from their earlier Su-27.

I haven't got one (yet) - but understand that it looks good and builds well.

It hasn't got the too-broad rear end, nor the too fat nose of the Su-27 kit - but there are apparently issues with the canopy and spine shapes :woot.gif:

Another Flanker disappointment..................... :crying2:

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi again

Ok, so I've been waiting patiently for this kit to arrive at my LHS and finally today I bought the kit. However, when I got to look at the cockpit I felt my excitement deflated some-what - basically it's way to soft on detail for my liking and lacks any kind of real detail :huh:

So, having trawled through the net for the past 3 hours looking for some kind of resin cockpit upgrade, I have come up empty handed.

I did come across Dream-models PE sets, of which I will probably buy the exhaust nozzles when Hannants get them back in stock again, but has anyone heard of any impending resin pits from say Aires or the likes?

Wolfpack from Korea has released a folded wing (and elevator) set. They have announced a set of dropped flaps, a cockpit, and K-36 seats for the kit (I guess for those who want a new seat and not a whole new tub) as future releases.

However IIRC Ken aka Flankerman wrote some time ago that the Su-33 has a pretty much bog standard Su-27 cockpit (with I assume a lever added for the hook and another for the wingfold), so if you can find a good, cheap cockpit set for an "Su-27" it should be close enough for an "Su-33"?

New tool - not adapted from their earlier Su-27.

I haven't got one (yet) - but understand that it looks good and builds well.

It hasn't got the too-broad rear end, nor the too fat nose of the Su-27 kit - but there are apparently issues with the canopy and spine shapes :woot.gif:

Another Flanker disappointment..................... :crying2:

Ken

:doh: !!!

I sat in a Su-33 cockpit many years ago (when it was a Su-27K :woot.gif: )

I don't know how representative of a production cockpit it is - but here goes (please excuse my knobbly knees)....

Su-33_Cockpit.jpg

NeOmega does separate 1:72 scale resin cockpits for the Italeri Su-27 and the ICM Su-27 - I'm not sure if they fit the Hasegawa Su-33 though..... anyone ???

Ken

Hi again

Ok, so I've been waiting patiently for this kit to arrive at my LHS and finally today I bought the kit. However, when I got to look at the cockpit I felt my excitement deflated some-what - basically it's way to soft on detail for my liking and lacks any kind of real detail :huh:

So, having trawled through the net for the past 3 hours looking for some kind of resin cockpit upgrade, I have come up empty handed.

I did come across Dream-models PE sets, of which I will probably buy the exhaust nozzles when Hannants get them back in stock again, but has anyone heard of any impending resin pits from say Aires or the likes?

Lol, guess you can't please everyone, or pretty much anyone in this hobby. Really, for a 1/72 Hasegawa kit, the raised detail in the cockpit is pretty decent when you compare it to the other 95% of the kits in this scale. Most 1/72 kits provide you with just a flat surface and decals.

As for AM, Aires just released the resin exhaust nozzles this month. The Aires Su-27 cockpit tub fits without much hassle, the usual grinding and sanding of plastic and resin to fit a resin cockpit. But the Su-33 kit's windshield is slightly narrower than the old Su-27 kit and thus the instrument coaming resin piece won't fit.

Edited by Inquisitor

don't get me wrong - I'm not usually (if at all) a detail Nazi, but when you see what the kit offers, it's a bit disappointing (well, for me it is anyway).

I'm certainly not complaining about the shape of the actual kit in anyway: I love that fact it's actually a great representation of the plane. I couldn't care less if the nose is supposedly wrong or what have you, but as I said before, the pit was not as detailed as I would have hoped for.

Edit: but thanks for the info relating to the resin pit (I forgot to say this before hand) so with that, I'm off to Hannants to go buy one!

Edited by The Madhatter
On 28. 8. 2011 at 4:44 AM, Inquisitor said:

Funny , if you're building it in flight how can you complain about the lack of detail in the cockpit and needing aftermarket for it? :rolleyes:

Maybe he wants it in flight but without a pilot...

Edited by drake122

What's funny about that? The pit is one of the most heavily scrutinized areas of any kit - I mean, I sure don't spend a lot of time flipping a model over to stare at the wheel wells.

Secondly, for a $70.00 kit, I personally was looking for some better detail in that area. So, I don't understand how you find me wanting a resin pit as being "funny".

Well, the reason is because usually inflight means canopy closed and a pilot on the seat, both of which pretty much obscures a lot of the detail in the cockpit in 1/72 scale. Most people going for an inflight model wouldn't complain about a lack of detail and even using the supplied decals, instead of seeking PE or Resin cockpits.

In my opinion, if I were doing the Su-33 inflight I'd buy the exhaust nozzles first since the kit pieces are too shallow and the resin besides correcting add a lot of detail.

That's a fair point. However, my figure painting skills suck beyond belief, so I had thought of doing exactly what Drake said and have it inflight without a pilot (yes, I know that is a very weird and unrealistic way of displaying it, but I'm building this one for me). I am much more interested in the beautiful lines of the 33 and think that showing the plane landed would ruin them.

I already had the exhausts air-marked for purchase as well as I agree that they are way to thick :rolleyes: So much for my OOB rule that I had in mind for this build

You paid 70 for the kit alone? Is Hasegawa that expensive where you live? wow...

Tbh the pit has great detail for a 72nd kit, Even without a pilot, I don't see the need for aftermarket stuff there. Maybe add straps to the seat, but otherwise it's not worth the extra money.

Edited by drake122

Every time I see the word Hasegawa in front of a kit I like I cringe knowing that my wallet will take a beating - but that could also be the prices being jacked up by the hobby store

This is my first 72nd scale kit (I usually build 48th or 32nd) so maybe I'm used to having more detail available. The general consensus seems to be that I would be wasting money by buying a resin pit.

I probably should mind my own here, but never could resist a decent debate! I've lost count of the times I've read a build article in a magazine or online that contains a reference to under-detailed cockpits being instantly remedied by the insertion of a (frequently 3rd party) pilot figure. Personally, I only see that covering part of the seat!

Hasegawa kits are a mixed bag when it comes to detail: mostly, they do make an effort within the limits of volume-production, but some are still poor while others are exemplary for the mainstream.

I guess our expectations are constantly raised by aftermarket accessories and limited-run kits that contain a phenomenal level of detail in 1/72. When we see a bog-standard kit at today's prices, it can be a let-down.

The major manufacturers don't need to have that fight because we're gonna buy their kits anyway, but the issue of price is something they need to address...

It's a racing cert that Eduard will be springing masks and p/e for this soon.

Just an FYI that Eduard just announced a canopy mask for October. As Chippy suggested, I image a full PE set can be far behind.

All good things to those who wait....