1/72 Hasegawa P-51D "City of San Diego" - FINISHED!!

It's time to throw my hat in the ring and get a build going for the Mustang GB. I am a bit late, but I wanted to finish a UAV that I had going for that ARC GB. While I like the looks and history of the Mustang, I have never built a model of this famous aircraft. I had 4 or 5 kits in my stash, so this GB was the perfect motivation to get the plastic out on the workbench. I plan on building the "City of San Diego", the 4th place finisher in the 1946 Bendix Trophy races. This P-51D (beleived to be 44-63430) was registered as NX-66851 and had race number 31. The Mustang appears to be rather stock and in the typical bare metal/painted wings seen in late war Mustangs. I thought it would be a good start on a Mustang that did not require modifications or fancy paint jobs so I can concentrate on the build. Besides, I am atracted to this scheme as it promotes my old home town, San Diego!

Here's what I have to start with:

P51D_SD_005_MJI09012011small.jpg

A close up of the scheme:

P51D_SD_008_MJI09012011small.jpg

Let the building begin.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:

Edited by Mike J. Idacavage

Nice choice Mike, hadn't "studied' much about the post war racers but that scheme looks like a winner.

I too, live outside of SD, just not so far north as you :rolleyes:

ps just a thought, would't be hard for the pilot to see out of the blue canopy?......never mind :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

I had to clear a bit of room on my work bench so my P51 build start was delayed. Now that my Blackhawk helo is near completion, I can start working in my P51D. I have started in at the usual place, the cockpit, but until I get more work done it does not look very interesting. I have also started in on the wings as they were most likley the typical puttied and smoothed wings and definitely painted in silver/aluminum dope. Here's the wings with the putty applied in the usual locations to fill in the covered panel lines. I have also filled in the bullet cartridge holes on the bottom wing after I shot this photo. In addition, I have removed the gun barrels and smoothed out the leading edge of the wing.

P51D_SD_010_MJI09012011small.jpg

It feels great to start to get some progress on this build!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I spoke a little too soon in my last update, and life along with a very time consuming job search ended up eliminating my modeling time. :boohoo: I have been slowly pluging away and actually have something to show! Like most aircraft projects, ya gotta get that cockpit done sometime. Here's how it looks after painting and adding the various bits and pieces from the Eduard PE set.

P51D_SD_022_MJI092011small.jpg

P51D_SD_025_MJI092011small.jpg

P51D_SD_030_MJI092011small.jpg

Hopefully, it won't be as long until my next update!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a quick update. I have been working on the fuselage and wings and got them glued together. Here's how it looked after assembly:

P51D_SD_035_MJI092011small.jpg

P51D_SD_033_MJI092011small.jpg

I then did some filling of the obvious seams and parts missmatches. I shot it with a first coat of MR Surfacer 1200 primer to get this:

P51D_SD_052_MJI10292011small.jpg

P51D_SD_055_MJI10292011small.jpg

Now it's on to filling out those little cracks and seams that only show up after priming.With a bare metal surface, I want this to look good!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

While working on a part of a build that takes some time such as filling in seams and priming repeatedly :blink: , I'll devote time on some of the subassemblies as a modeling break. While I am working on cleaning up the fuselage and rescribbing panel lines, I also worked on and finished the prop. Here's how it looks now:

P51D_SD_050_MJI10292011small.jpg

The prop faded a bit more than I would have liked after I shot it with a Mr. Color flat coat, but to the eye it does not look so bad as it seems accented in the magnified photo.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

While I am still working on my filling seems, rescribing and priming routine, I also finished up the seat for the cockpit. I used the kit seat with a little PE added. I cut out the solid side panels and added the brace using plastic strip. Here's the seat after assembly:

P51D_SD_017_MJI09012011small.jpg

P51D_SD_015_MJI09012011small.jpg

And here's the seat after painting and adding the PE seatbelts from the Eduard set:

P51D_SD_040_MJI092011small.jpg

P51D_SD_036_MJI092011small.jpg

Have fun modeling!

Mike

Here's a quick update on my build. After a few sessions with Mr. Surfacer and my trusty rescriber, it looks like I am ready for the final paint steps. Here is how the Mustang looks now:

P51D_SD__061_MJI11202011small.jpg

P51D_SD__059_MJI11202011small.jpg

Now it's on to first paint the wheel wells followed by the Alclad and aluminum paint (wings)....

Have fun modeling!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Now for some color on the ole Mustang! I used several different Alclad II colors for the main body of the Mustang and Floquil Old Silver to duplicate the aluminum/silver paint on the wings. I also have the gear wells painted in yellow primer. I thought I had a screw up as I shot the antiglare panel on the nose in MM AIrcraft interior black but it dried glossy. This paint should be a nice flat sheen. I was near the bottom of the bottle, so I don't know if the paint was going bad (it was pretty thick) or if I diluted it incorrectly. Fortunately, the gloss black appears to have dried as it is not tacky. I'll just need to mask it off and spray on a flat coat at the end of the build. Here's how it now looks prior to adding the decals:

P51D_SD__074_MJI112011small.jpg

P51D_SD__069_MJI112011small.jpg

P51D_SD__067_MJI112011small.jpg

I am really happy with the way the different shades of silver look at this stage. I'll be sealing the decaled model using MM Metallizer Sealer, so hopefully it will not affect the look too much.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I just might get my entry done by the end of the year! I was able to get the decals applied since I last posted. It now looks like a Mustang! After a clear coat over the decals and a flat coat over the antiglare panel and wheel bays in the next few days, I can start to finish this pony.

P51D_SD__084_MJI112011small.jpg

P51D_SD__081_MJI112011small.jpg

P51D_SD__083_MJI112011small.jpg

Have fun modeling and a great holiday season!

Mike

:santa:

Thanks O! I am glad you like this little commemorative scheme for that little town that lies to your south. :D

That jig has proven it's weight in gold over the years. A local model store sold them in various sizes years ago and I wished I had piicked up one or two more. Sadly, they are no longer in business.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:santa:

Mike,

Looks great! I really like that stand/jig. Very cool.

Cheers!

-O

Wahoo, I managed to finish my Mustang before the end of the build! :yahoo: My average completion rate for GBs is not the greatest, so I am always happy when I actually make a deadline! Here's my completed P-51D "City of San Diego". I have done some light weathering after I postd the last series of photos to reflect some slight wear on this aircraft as seen in a fe low quality photos I have. I am really happy with my first use of pre-painted PE for the coskpit, so this first photo does not have the canopy to show it off a bit.

P51D_SD__088_MJI12292011small-1.jpg

Here's a walk around of the completed model.

P51D_SD__101_MJI12292011small-1.jpg

P51D_SD__103_MJI12292011small-1.jpg

P51D_SD__108_MJI12292011small-1.jpg

P51D_SD__110_MJI12292011small.jpg

P51D_SD__119_MJI12292011small-1.jpg

P51D_SD__114_MJI12292011small-1.jpg

I will also post these shots in the completed builds section. Thanks to everyone for the participation in the Mustang GB. I learned a lot about the Mustang throught the many great builds here and defintely plan on doing a few more P-51s in the future.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

Andrew

Glad you liked my build! This Mustang managed to make use of most of my usual NMF tools in my arsenal - Alclad polished aluminum over glass black for the spinner, several shades of Alclad over polished Mr. Surfacer (gray) for the body and Floquil Old Silver for the aluminum paint on the wings. And all overcoated (with the exception of the spinner) with Metallizer Sealer. Eazy Peazy!

Have fun modeling!

Mike