I'm planning on building an early Spanish F-18 using the Italeri 1/72 F-18A/B kit. Are there any mods I need to the Italeri kit to make it representative of the F-18 when it first entered Spanish service in the 80s?

I asked this in the jet modelling forum and I got one reply, and that was to ask if I could share any info I found with him. Whats going on?? The F-18 is to ARC what the 109 is to HS ;)

Thanks

I'm planning on building an early Spanish F-18 using the Italeri 1/72 F-18A/B kit. Are there any mods I need to the Italeri kit to make it representative of the F-18 when it first entered Spanish service in the 80s?

I asked this in the jet modelling forum and I got one reply, and that was to ask if I could share any info I found with him. Whats going on?? The F-18 is to ARC what the 109 is to HS ;)

Thanks

As far as I can tell the first batch of Spanish AF hornets were identical to their US counterparts.

The only possible modification im aware of happened in the early 90s when they were apparently upgraded to C/D standard. Although most of the mods were internal I understand some work may of been done on the weapons pylons.

HTH

- Joe

For the early Ejercito del Aire EF-18s just don't add the LEX fences and remove the front landing gear arm.

Maybe most of us don't like the Italeri kit. Get a Hasegawa kit!!!

For the early Ejercito del Aire EF-18s just don't add the LEX fences

are they the things that look like blade ariels around the upper fuselage/wing root?

• 1 month later...

Well I've started. Cockpit done, & front fuselage glued together. I've cut off all the lumps & bumps to backdate it from a D to a B. I'm not going crazy detailing this kit, just doing it OOB.

Lots of filling and sanding later.....

And I mean lots of filling and sanding... :cheers:

Like a 2mm gap between the wingroot and fuselage ;)

But now main construction is complete. I would have taken her outside & primed her but the terrible storms Britain is having atm prevented that

• 5 weeks later...

Finished!

In December 1986 the first 4 Hornets for the Spanish Air Force were delivered. All were 2 seat F-18B's and were painted in a tactical camoflage similar to that worn by Spanish Phantoms. Sadly, all subsequent Hornets were delivered in the standard grey colour scheme, and the initial 4 were repainted grey at the earliest opportunity. A picture of a Hornet in this scheme can be found on p.62 of Modern Fighting Aircraft F/A-18 by Mike Spick (Salamander)