I want decals for the 305th Hikotai's "Sakura" F-15, but I can only find them in 1/144.

Oh, and check out these HQ vids.

http://www.youtube.com/user/takabo1e8

He's got some regular commercial traffic as well as US Navy, USAF, ROKAF stuff in addition to JASDF.

Edited by Jinro

Bonjour à tous. Est ce que quelqu'un peux m'expliquer pouquoi Hasegawa ne sort pas tous les avions avec une décoration anniversaire ou avec décoration speciale des dernières années comme par exemple du 50th anniversaire de la JASDF, bien sûre à l'échelle 1/48?

Thanks all for sharing picture and photo sites. Its amazing.

Haha. The Japanese sure do seem to have the disposable income for such expensive camera equipment. Surprised they have the time for hobbies though, what with the whole work until you drop dead mentality.

Hopefully I can get a DSLR before I do the JET program.

Haha. The Japanese sure do seem to have the disposable income for such expensive camera equipment. Surprised they have the time for hobbies though, what with the whole work until you drop dead mentality.

That's the funny thing: go to a base like Iruma, Hyakuri, Komaki or Nyutabaru for example, and these places are crawling with Japanese spotters. Every day!

• 1 year later...

Well, it's about time:

Clicky

Clicky

More clicky

Yet another clicky

I've really missed the Senkyo & Special Anniversary birds.

Can't say I like the pirate teddy bear on the Eagle's tail but I'd still buy it if Hasegawa made decals for it.

I'm definitely getting the sharkmouth with the fire in the eyes. Heads up Hasegawa. Chance for you to take more of my money. Drugs & hookers can wait :lol:/>

If you notice carefully, on the Phantoms, even the AAM-3 missiles have a small sharkmouth & red scarf on the tips. I hope Hasegawa ( or Platz) gets that. I'm rooting for Platz because they're more detailed in their decal sheets. Also, it saves me storage space 'cos I don't have to buy an entire Hase kit until I decide to actually fix the kit. :P

Man....if only we had that in America. Cops like to use the "that's been illegal since 9-11" crap (which is crap, there's nothing illegal about taking pictures of planes).

Gents,

I've just discovered this thread and there's some lovely pictures in here. I like the little raised boxes that are used for photography at these Japanese airfields, there's an idea that we ought to implement here in the UK. We don't - usually - have any problems taking pictures around the fence but a viewing spot like that would be ideal. I must admit I feel so sorry for the US based photographers trying to do this, and am surprised that such arbitrary rules seem to be in place there to prevent photography. From my own visit to the US in 1996 and from speaking to other UK based photographers who have made trips over it seems it was still very difficult to photograph at US military airfields even before 9-11, although it's clearly even worse now.

I still do not understand why anybody involved in counter-terrorism thinks that preventing photographers from standing outside the fence openly and photographing aircraft movements is likely to be stopping either a terrorist or somebody gaining intelligence for them. If they were to stop the automatic reaction and think logically about what they were doing then they would find that if anything the presence of people around the fence with cameras is actually a plus in the fight against terrorism. Some of the more enlightened airfields (civil and military) in the UK have realised this and actively encourage enthusiasts to phone in anything they consider strange around the fence to the base security, and have put up signs with the phone number to call.

My local military airfield is Wattisham, which is just a couple of miles up the road and is classified as a high risk because it is home to all frontline British Army Apache squadrons, who have been in the frontline in Afghanistan for years. Security around the perimeter is tight by UK standards, and besides a few locals like myself not many people visit it. By making myself known to the security force and co-operating with them we've established a unofficial understanding and I never have any problems around the fence taking pictures. I have their number on speed dial, and twice when I've seen something out of the ordinary I've contacted them, even taken photo's of the vehicle involved and although both times it was something that ended up being innocent they were grateful that I was helping them out. Surely that's better than the heavy handed approach that seems to be so common in the US.

We can also help out as an extra pair of eyes for flight safety, espically as most of the guys doing this have years of experience watching aviation and will know if something is amiss. Couple of years ago the USAF had a detachment of Elemendorf F-22's at Lakenheath for a couple of weeks. As you'd probably guess, a large percentage of the European based enthusiasts were around the base. On the day they departed for Elemendorf the guys were photographing and when reviewing their screens it was noticed that one of the Raptors at rotation had that characteristic puff of smoke that was a burst tyre. Nobody had heard any comms on ATC so it seemed that neither ATC or the pilot were aware, so they phoned into the base and the USAF sent somebody out to the fence to review the image. Sure enough, it was a burst tyre so they were able to contact the departing flight and Elemendorf and make them aware for when they landed. Similar thing happened with an RAF Tornado recently. Had a massive fuel leak down the back end as he taxied, wasn't spotted by anybody until he got to the departure end and was then waved down by photographers outside the fence pointing to the fuel leak.

By coincidence I was on the fence at Mildenhall yesterday talking to a few people who had just pulled over for lunch and were interesting in the KC-135's parked the other side of the fence, and a USAF security police car pulled up inside the fence. I must admit I thought we were going to have the usual 'discussion' about not touching the fence and you shouldn't be here (which they know is wrong, as the UK police are frequently called when they challenge us, and they are always then instructed to leave us alone), but I was completely wrong. This guy had been posted in recently from Misawa in Japan and was just up for a chat and was curious about UK customs and where he could get a British roast dinner! We got talking for so long I forgot about the cargo 747 on arrival that I wanted to photograph. I said to him that I'd heard that in Japan they were pretty relaxed about aviation photography and he agreed, although he said Misawa is quite isolated so doesn't get many visitors. This guys attitude isn't that common unfortunately, but I suspect that as he'd already had experience outside the US he was a little more aware than some of the others.

Sorry I've gone on somewhat, but this topic always gets me going and it just takes a little bit of common sense!

Gary