Su-47 Berkut in 1/72: Zvezda versus Hobby Boss

My nephew of 14 years old wants to build a Su-47 Berkut. It doesn't need to be very accurate, since he wants to build it (roughly) as the 'G9 Eclipse' in the video game 'Just Cause':

th_634_02.jpg

Therefore my question is whether the Zvezda or Hobby Boss kit is easiest to build. Thanks in advance!

Rob

I built a Hobby Boss one. Part count is fairly low = easy build. Here's my build thread on Whatifmodelers: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,31512.0.html (Used to have WIP thread here but it disappeared when this forum was upgraded to this new format).

I don't know if I got a bad batch, but I wasn't that impressed by the overall quality of the kit.

HTH.

I tossed together the Zvezda kit in a quick weekend for the timeline of powered flight hanging from the ceiling of my classroom.

Gear up and spray can painted, it looks like a Berkut from 6ft below.

Mike

I believe the Zvezda kit is still a bit better than Hobbyboss. If markings were a key, I would try to obtain one of the Revell of Germany offerings since the decals are better and more complete than the original Zvezda offering or the Italeri reboxing. Other than that, the plastic is the same. And since the marking scheme will be fictional, decals won't be a big concern anyway.

Guys, thanks a lot for all the advice! On Saturday we'll have the annual IPMS-The Netherlands show, and I will look out for a kit there.

Sebastijan, your model looks fantastic, I will definitely show it to my nephew for inspiration.

Rob

Just like Hobby Boss' F-22 is based on Italeri's F-22 (with a new one-piece upper fuselage), Hobby Boss's Su-47 is based on Zvezda's offering, but with some improvements in terms of detail over the Zvezda kit, just compare both kit's exhaust nozzles. I'd say that Hobby Boss kit is easier to find and cheaper, at least in my country. I'd choose the HB kit. Best regards.

José.

The exhaust nozzles on the Zvezda Su-47 are actually more accurate than those in the Hobby Boss kit.

That's true - HobbyBoss includes AL-41 like exhausts, that were once planned to be installed in Berkut while Zvezda has the correct D30 exhaust, same as with MiG-31. HobbyBoss has better representation of the nose, simulating a little flattened shape to the sides. I am not sure about the landing gear. IIRC Zvezda's is too high and represents the aircraft in flight with oleos extended - should be a simple fix I guess. I guess for rather accurate Su-47, you'd have to crosskit both offerings. I have Revell (Zvezda) box still in stash and I'm seriously thinking of crafting HB nose on it and check for other details.

Thank you Rob, I hope your nephew enjoys the build as much as I did!

Edited by Sebastijan